Converting a TDI OZ Series pro into a Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have always wanted a Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) but they are out of my reach as far as price goes and often wondered if you could convert the TDI as it works on a Pulse system similar to the gpr I think anyway which leaves me asking you guys who I know will have more knowledge in this area as electrics is not my Forte :/ My thoughts were could you make a program that ran on a smart phone or laptop that you could just plug your detector into, And away you go... Or is this just a ridicules thought and should I just save up for a GPR.. Regards GC

The detector electronics couldn't do gpr. Gpr requires measurements taken 1000s of times faster than a metal detector. The shallower you go the faster still plus a MT uses a coil to transmit a magnetic field in to the ground while a gpr uses an antenna to transmit a radio wave. A mt measures induced magnetic field decay while the gpr measures reflected wave times.
Jon

blisters said:
The detector electronics couldn't do gpr. Gpr requires measurements taken 1000s of times faster than a metal detector. The shallower you go the faster still plus a MT uses a coil to transmit a magnetic field in to the ground while a gpr uses an antenna to transmit a radio wave. A mt measures induced magnetic field decay while the gpr measures reflected wave times.
Jon

Thanks blisters
That didn't take very long to get a great answer I guess I can lay that idea to rest now.... ;) Cheers GC

All things are made up of atoms, they vibrate so give off a frequency; does atomic mass or weight have any relevance to their frequency? You would need a wave generator to create a signal. Just kicking idears around.
Cheers LL

Say if you connected your coil signals to an oscilloscope, you will have a readout and using lag timers you'd be able to tell a rough possible shape, depth and size, but a program would be needed to render each scanned line to a 3d model or 2d depth visual by the grid...I recon a 'visible detector' is half possible

I'm more thinking connecting a detector into a laptop or tablet which simply collects and displays data. Not the hardest thing to do these days for a muck around

An AT PRO would be a good one to use with its already programmed discriminator and depth which you could pat onto

If I ever get a pc again some day ill give it a quick go

Thanks heaps Guys but I think blisters said it although I would like to see the result if you give it a go AR just don't burn your machine out trying :rolleyes: anyway here is a good picture of one of my projects that was successful .. regards GC
1447303094_002.jpg
:cool:

AtomRat said:
Say if you connected your coil signals to an oscilloscope, you will have a readout and using lag timers you'd be able to tell a rough possible shape, depth and size, but a program would be needed to render each scanned line to a 3d model or 2d depth visual by the grid...I recon a 'visible detector' is half possible

Nothing stopping you doing that it should work fine. We were displaying in real time ground magnetics and unexploded ordnance magnetic topo graphs 20 years ago. The key is to know your position of each reading to enable rendering and modelling. You are no longer metal detecting, you are surveying. Whether a visual over sound will give you any advantage or not for your application is something to consider. Rather than model on the fly I'd be looking at storing the readings and post process the data on a laptop. It will be less complicated and lighter. You can apply various filters in post processing stripping out rubbish to delineate the location of various targets to dig up. I'd think this would be a great way to find large deep gold. ;)
Jon

A few years back I built a device much founded on Ultra sound.
IE: 4 transducers set in a square with a central receiver.
The out put was rather garbled but at that time I did not have the processing power to analyze and then waiting 2 hours to see what was down there.
The algorithm to produce in real time was well,
On the back burner.

Latest posts