Chance to comment on Mugii Murrum-ban SCA management plan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAPFA

NAPFA Official Representative
Reaction score
I noticed that this State Conservation Area has some historical diamond and gold mining.

NAPFA would be interested in the assessment of forum members as to this areas suitability as a potential destination for fossicking and why you think it should be allowed or nor allowed. You should note that because it is a State Conservation Area you are not presently allowed to go there. However it is quite possible that you are aware of fossicking activity at that location before it was banned by its elevation to the SCA status in National Parks in 2011.

Any information about how it has been fossicked, when and by whom, and specifically what areas in the SCA would be very useful to help establish why fossicking should be allowed in a Plan of Management

If you can provide detailed and constructive comments that would be appreciated. NAPFA will assess forum comments and consider them in a NAPFA submission to this Draft Plan of Management.

Feel free to provide detailed comments to me at [email protected] And also to post to the forum as you see fit.

All members of the public are free to lodge their own submissions to such reviews so if you want to do that go right ahead. If you are in a club or association, raise it with them as well and possibly put in a group one.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/publications/parks/150508-mugiisca-pom-draft.htm

Submissions close 18 December 2015.

Remember the reason areas have been locked off over the years is that the authorities have not properly heard why we want them to stay open!

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
NAPFA President

Just a bit of detail on what i could find on the area;

The Mugii-Murum-ban SCA is currently being mined for coal by Centennial Coal at their Airly mine since Dec 2009.

Centennials CEO says, "We believe the SCA represents an opportunity to demonstrate how a balance between positive conservation outcomes while managing a mining operation can be achieved".

I guess as Prospectors/Fossickers, our aim should be to demonstrate how we too, can Fossick for gems/minerals whilst still maintaining positive conservation outcomes.

The SCA decleration does acknowledge the importance of Minerals within the area......"The SCA declaration recognises the importance of mineral resources within the area and has been the culmination of a three year consultation process with all key stakeholders and government authorities including Centennial Coal."

By reading the below dialogue, it would seem our door is ajar somewhat still?

"Blue Mountains Conservation, CFW and other environment groups have proposed that this area be protected in a suite of conservation reserves ( Keith Muir 2005).
Some parts are proposed to be added to the existing Gardens of Stone and Blue Mountains national parks, which adjoin parts of the proposal.
Two new State Conservation Areas are proposed to be created over the remaining area, to allow for ongoing underground coal mining and other uses incompatible with national park status."

It also states in the SCA;

Under the NPW Act (section 30G), state conservation areas are managed to:

provide for the undertaking of uses permitted under other provisions of the NPW Act
(including uses permitted under section 47J such as mineral exploration and mining),
having regard to the conservation of the natural and cultural values of the state
conservation area.

Its home to the Wiradjuri people and the area comes under the Bathurst Local Aboriginal Land Council.

The park contains important coal resources, primarily in the 'Lithgow Seam', and has potential for diamonds.

Steve, there is several ruins from past oil shale mining which are located within the park, including evidence of roads, cableways, tunnels, railway lines, buildings, steam winches, ventilation chimneys and caves used as houses.
There is also evidence of past diamond mining apparently.

Cant seem to find much detail about historical gold mining although the local geology states, the oldest rocks exposed within Mugii Murum-ban SCA, are folded and metamorphosed sedimentary rocks and intrusives of Devonian age.

Sounds like good gold inviting structure, although a noticeable absence of quartz and ironstone!

The difficulty would be in that the area contains many locations of Cultural Significance to the Wiradjuri People, and endangered species of Flora and Fauna so this would need to be addressed in any submission written, and explained how hobby Fossicking would not impact in these areas!

Good luck in the battle Steve, and keep up the great work. ;)

Stephen, the only fossicking I know of there was by the man that owned the nearby property and had a lease over Mt Airly as a Gold and Diamond mine. His name is Col Ribaux. I do not know Col and have never been there but I have heard of a little bit of fossicking done there now and then, it's always been on my list to visit.

Here is a link on Mt Airly and Col Ribaux, it's a good read and quite relevant.

"Letter from Col Ribaux, miner, geologist, conservationist and keeper of the Airly Mountain, Airly State Conservation Area".

http://caperteevalleyalliance.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/letter-from-col-ribaux-miner-geologist.html

Col Ribaux is definitely the bloke you need to contact. Not sure of the fossicking potential but he could answer that.
"Under the NPW Act (section 30G),state conservation areasare managed to:
provide for the undertaking of uses permitted under other provisions of the NPW Act
(including uses permitted under section 47J such as mineral exploration and mining),
having regard to the conservation of the natural and cultural values of the state
conservation area."
Yep if you've got an EL or ML but fossicking &/or metal detecting of any kind is not permitted in NSW SCA's or other areas under National Parks control apart from a couple of designated areas that are restricted in what you can do I.e panning only. Go figure?

Looks like NPWS aren't even going to honour their agreement with Col. Last comment on his page that Heatho linked to:

Downunder Jeep 10 September 2015 at 17:12

As a local I have been to Mt Airly or should I say Genowlan Point on numerous occasions & it saddens me to report that National Parks are NOT going to honour their pledge for no road closures.
The plan is to gate the road at the foot of Mt Gnowlan & to close the gate at the entrance to Cols place.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/publications/parks/150508-mugiisca-pom-draft.htm
Please make a submission to keep this part of Australia open to all not just the overly fit or the rich who can pay for a private tour (its in the plan if you read it all). Airly WILL close if YOU dont speak up.

Yeah it's really crook all this "lock the gate type of attitude", last time I looked we still lived in a democracy and these jerks in power act like autocrats.

Heatho said:
Stephen, the only fossicking I know of there was by the man that owned the nearby property and had a lease over Mt Airly as a Gold and Diamond mine. His name is Col Ribaux. I do not know Col and have never been there but I have heard of a little bit of fossicking done there now and then, it's always been on my list to visit.

Here is a link on Mt Airly and Col Ribaux, it's a good read and quite relevant.

"Letter from Col Ribaux, miner, geologist, conservationist and keeper of the Airly Mountain, Airly State Conservation Area".

http://caperteevalleyalliance.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/letter-from-col-ribaux-miner-geologist.html

Thanks -- I put a post on that blog, let's see if it gets up. That was a very interesting piece about Col -- and it also shows clearly there is fossicking potential. It would be good to know if other people besides Col fossicked there and over what period of time.

Individuals should really get onto this. NAPFA can do something, but the stories of individual fossickers are essential to demonstrate that it has had a long history of fossicking (and therefore should be permitted to continue). Submissions don't have to be long. Indeed some of the longer posts on this forum could be submissions!

I'll make a submission Stephen, I'd like to go there one day for a look around and see what I can find. Would be dissapointing to get there and find a locked gate.

Latest posts