Bushcraft tools wanted ( blacksmithing and woodwork )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been into the ol' bush craft for a while and am starting to get a bit more serious with bigger and faster projects. Will be making a miner's hut out in the bush soon in a remote location, nearby some gold of course.

Some useful tools I am trying to get hold of at a decent price ( it is soo hard now when everything has 'vintage' or 'antique' value. ) I understand that some people buy vintage tools ( my last job was in antiques and 2nd hand goods ) and just hang them on the shed wall and thats where it stays. I've also seen tools get to the point where they just cannot be used anymore due to rusting out in the rain. The tools I buy, I put to great use, and as most of the oldies are blacksmith'ed, they last a damn lot longer as well. I have blacksmithed up some of my own tools but sometimes the originals just cut the cheese better.

Do any of you have any tools listed below that you could sell at a better price so I can have some fun out the bush:

Blacksmithing:

10lb mash hammer
1410130375_hammer.jpg

Anvil + anvil punches
1410130428_anvil.jpg

Woodworking:

Tennon cutter + spoke pointer ( used by wheel wright makers on cart wheel spokes )
1410130557_tennon.jpg

Spokeshave
1410130607_spokeshave.jpg

Draw knife
1410130629_draw.jpg

2 handed hewing axe
1410130676_hewing.jpg

Hand drill + auger
1410130744_drill.jpg
1410130755_auger.jpg

Froe
1410130792_froe.jpg

Some of these items cost hundreds now and I cannot afford their vintage cost. As I mentioned, I put them in great use and use them for their original purpose.
I would maybe even consider

If you have other items not listed here that you may have no use for, or no family members interested in hand-me-downs ( as they end up in the bin ), please post them up here and I will see if it is a tool I need for any projects! Thank you guys
:)

Atom - can't help you but I swear to god, we used most of that stuff at Tech Schools here in Victoria in the 1970s. Ahhh Tech - woodworking, plastic working, metal working, tech drawing and design and the occasional maths and English class. You reckon the Vic Govt determined we were all headed to trades or what?

loamer said:
Atom - can't help you but I swear to god, we used most of that stuff at Tech Schools here in Victoria in the 1970s. Ahhh Tech - woodworking, plastic working, metal working, tech drawing and design and the occasional maths and English class. You reckon the Vic Govt determined we were all headed to trades or what?

This was why i opted out of a private school and attended
One of these. Ended up coming first for a round table i made
at The royal show.

loamer said:
Atom - can't help you but I swear to god...
Wolfau said:
This was why i opted out of a private school and attended...

As I have mentioned a few times here and there, I love anything that requires skill, patience and fun! Especially all the stuff no one really cares about anymore for some reason. I don't think it's computers, I think in general, people are trying to make the world 'simple', but as we know, nothing in life is simple.

Congrats on that prize Wolfau, it must have been an amazing piece and experience!

I'm only 30, but most of the books I read I doubt people my age would bother reading anymore. I'll name a couple just to give you a laugh as you may know them:

Popular Science / Mechanics full sets ( anyone got Popular Electronics? )
"Golden" Books - Golden book of.. / "How to.." / encyclopedia books
John Jarret's book of 450 things a bloke ought to know how to make and do

Anyway, back to the tools! I really am after anything useful like these as I constantly have a case of irritable creations!

Iv looked at joining the vic huts association a few times to help out to restore or rebuild the victorian and nsw huts I like this sort of thing that uses old pioneering skills and such' even built a hut of my own hidden up the hills near a gold bearing creek the local deer stalkers use now' still standing but still needs to be finished off.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Iv looked at joining the vic huts association a few times to help out to restore or rebuild the victorian and nsw huts I like this sort of thing that uses old pioneering skills and such' even built a hut of my own hidden up the hills near a gold bearing creek the local deer stalkers use now' still standing but still needs to be finished off.
Would love to see it mate if you can get a photo in! Good that it's in use as well :) I've always loved the ol' bush crafting skills from duck traps to californian pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts