An interesting Lightning Ridge read

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were in the 'Ridge a couple of months ago, this stuff is horrendous, straight through boots and impossible to get out, breaks real easy and one spends more time on the lookout for it than looking for opal.
Way back in the fifties, a Stock and Station Agent called us into his office at Millmerran on the Darling downs to show us a cactus specimen someone had brought in . He said it was called Harrisia Cactus.
It looked like a sausage and had needle- sharp spikes sticking out all round it. The spikes could penetrate boots and embed themselves in flesh so that the boot could not be removed without cutting leather.
The most disturbing aspect was that the agent swore that the beast was continuing to grow even though it was just sitting on the floor in his office. He believed that atmospheric dust and moisture were all that it needed to thrive.
Sounds like it could be related to the Hudson Pear.

My good friend Russ did a video on the Hudson Pear issue some time back. I had a run in with it myself many years ago which is featured in the video.

Terrible stuff and I'm not sure how they're going to remove, or even reign it in at this stage? It's just about everywhere you go out here these days, spread right throughout the bush. Bit of a sad old situation, particularly for the wildlife.

Regards,
Shauno

Latest posts