A nerd type question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
Hi All,
I notice that there some other computer type nerds out there so maybe some one will know what I am talking about. :cool:
I have a few mini ARM computers and am wishing to set a couple up as recording devices to protect my/our assets while out and about.
The mini PC's are a bit more powerful than a PI and are run from an SD Card.
They were custom built for a friend of mine who is no longer with us and are production finals.
Mainly designed to run an open source O.S.
If you have played with Pocket Linux or Win CE, What O.S. did you find that worked the best.
I am looking to set them up with a small camera etc.
They run of 12v and have a very small foot print.
About the same size as a standard HDD.
I know this is basically not a prospecting question but security with your hard won assets when in an unknown area or isolated in that case
is a priority for me.
THX,
Doug

The popular OS install for ARM processor architecture these days would be Cinnamon.

its a desktop environment developed by Linux Mint and provides a better Tyrion-like independence instead of the Android stacks that typically run on similar ARM mini-PCs.

Without knowing the hardware capabilities of your ARM PC Doug, this would seem a good open source selective.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

;)

Metamorphic said:
The popular OS install for ARM processor architecture these days would be Cinnamon.

its a desktop environment developed by Linux Mint and provides a better Tyrion-like independence instead of the Android stacks that typically run on similar ARM mini-PCs.

Without knowing the hardware capabilities of your ARM PC Doug, this would seem a good open source selective.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

;)
............................WTF Meta...................... :|

Geez Thanks Fella's.
Really appreciate the input.
I could have spent hours working this out but based on your comments I will go for Linux Cinnamon.
I was nearly going to go with Ubuntu but based on the research I have done, It takes a while to load up. Based on the speed limitations of a MMC
SD Card.
Another way to go is,
Specs on a MBO I have.
Not as small as I want.
Asus AT5NM10-1.
I have a small case plus 12v PSU to use running a 250g HDD.
A bit out there from what I wanted but has more than enough grunt.
Think Onscreen Dash Display.
Time to get the tools out. PMSL..
DWT. Yes Mate, We can build any thing on here. :lol:

Motherboard specs are good, but its all about the chip Doug!

single core, dual core or quad core?

32 or 64 bit?

Yeh, within the OS 'cinnamon' you should be able to set the cams to display across the 3g network.... this way you can utilize your phone to keep an eye out on camp whilst your out there digging!

Bluetooth is no good as its only a 10m range.

Cheers!

Yeah no crap Tathradj, I'm starting to get worried about meeting all you guys, I'm thinking instead of being bonfire and beers around the barbie with cool tunes, it's gunna be hot chocolate, potato chips, the low hum of a Commodore 64 with the theme song to Tron playing in the background :eek:
Oh well............ I could always get drunk early and pass out!!, as long as I wake up to having someone drawn a dick on my face I guess you guys could be cool to knock around with :lol:

LOL,
I tend to not digress to that level around a camp fire unless provoked or prodded my Friend. :lol: :lol:
But if you want some automation applied to your latest project, We Can Do That.
Processor is an Atom dual core 64 bit though the board is limited to 4 gig memory but that should not be a problem.
Would also have to use a Solid State HDD as a normal one wont take the rattling around
Nothing wrong with using an access point with a high gain antenna if you want and have thought about it....
I am a Level 2 IT Services Engineer.
Commodore 64, Got two of them with all accessories. :cool: :cool:

Have not started yet my friend for the sake of being boring. PMSL
But in the same context, It is interesting to research to find out what others are doing before taking the plunge
and if done properly build yourself a pretty mean unit. :eek:
Other thing to add to it is a GPS module. :D :D

But i don't even know what it is you blokes are trying to build :lol: :lol: :lol: Just tell me in simple terms Tath and i'll retreat back to my drawing board and leave you blokes to it :p

In vehicle high end media center Computer without the hassles of Windows.
Having a few camera's, GPS, and a few bell's and whistles.
Main thing that is being aimed for is robustness and low power consumption on 12v.
Also being very versatile and small enough to hide within the vehicle and run from a touch screen in the dash. You can buy
a unit to do it but having the components and building it yourself is much more of a challenge and a better out come.
Plus saving a heap of money. :D :D :D

Oh? Thanks mate, good luck, and look forward to catching up next year maybe if we can get a meetup happening. :p

I can sell anyone the cloud :p If that helps hahaha

IT and Gold Prospecting i think it getting more common...

My mates and i picked this hobby as it got us away from IT and into the bush. usually with no phone reception which is a plus...

Latest posts