A Chinese Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With a couple of other blokes I had a hunt on a site we thought we were close to finishing. Not by a long shot.

Got 10 Chinese coins. Almost my best from this site.

A few firsts came up that hunt - my first 1/2d token from a George St Sydney merchant (toasted - I will try to get a better picture) and a 1d token from Toogood in Sydney - my first from that merchant. The 1/2d is a veiled head Vickie - 1896.

I also found a great looking cricket buckle - probably the best condition one I've found. Among the other finds was a horseshoe clasp, part of a weighing contraption, an ornate single loop small button and remnants of a pocket cutlery set.

Now the site needs another final go.

The landowner did not find anything. However, I left my wife's Etrac with him for a few weeks so he can detect his house yard and hopefully find some family relics. His family has lived in the house/site since the 1820s. He is also hopeful of finding some lost leathermans and may look for his grandfather's WW11 service revolver buried somewhere between a windmill and clump of trees some 200 metres apart (we've looked a couple of times but no luck so far).

1517873987_p1050989_2.jpg

1517874005_p1050991.jpg

1517874020_p1050992.jpg

1517874035_p1050993.jpg

1517874050_p1050994.jpg

Some more high class oldies there Dan

That cricket Buckle looks only a few years old - amazing

Jews harp.......

Including Justs bundle of Chinese coins , thats the most Ive seen !

Looking forward to seeing the next session

ANT

Trash said:
Some more high class oldies there Dan

That cricket Buckle looks only a few years old - amazing

Jews harp.......

Including Justs bundle of Chinese coins , thats the most Ive seen !

Looking forward to seeing the next session

ANT

Thanks Anthony - The third person also got some Chinese. I am really surprised there were so many we had not picked up previously. I suppose pockets of camps and a bit of moisture in the soil helped.

Amazing ... and you thought you were done :rolleyes:
Nice finds
I still havent found a chinese coin and have never found a 1/2d token either
Well done :Y:

Detectist
Check out the back of the buckle for a diamond shaped Hallmark.
I found a bronze cricket buckle and thanks to a work mate who spotted the hallmark on the back I was able to date it to the 1850's. It just added to the thrill of the find. Good luck.
And, collectively a great set of finds. Congrats.
Oh, and those buckles can be quite collectable, subject to rarity. Google them and you'll be surprised of all the different designs. The buckles were prised possessions and worn for Sunday best, and people were buried wearing them.
Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
Detectist
I found a bronze cricket buckle and thanks to a work mate who spotted the hallmark on the back I was able to date it to the 1850's. It just added to the thrill of the find. Good luck.
Oh, and those buckles can be quite collectable, subject to rarity. Google them and you'll be surprised of all the different designs. The buckles were prised possessions and worn for Sunday best, and people were buried wearing them.
Cheers

Yep thanks. The site is an 1850s one and I got a few of them but none have any "hallmarks" on them unfortunately. Have you seen Brian's ebook on them https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4lMSuvCM2tFQ0RHVWJ1N1U/view

If you have some I'm sure Brian would love to include them.

Sandta said:
Amazing ... and you thought you were done :rolleyes:
Nice finds
I still havent found a chinese coin and have never found a 1/2d token either
Well done :Y:

Yeah funny hey. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/plugins/ezbbc/style/smilies/smile.png We did think it was the end of that site. We have detected it about 5 times previously but just shows ... The site is a fairly large couple of paddocks and we have not yet got permission from adjacent landowners.

Detectist said:
Dig'n-it said:
Detectist
Cheers

Yep thanks. The site is an 1850s one and I got a few of them but none have any "hallmarks" on them unfortunately. Have you seen Brian's ebook on them https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4lMSuvCM2tFQ0RHVWJ1N1U/view

If you have some I'm sure Brian would love to include them.

I've not seen his book so am downloading it now and will see if I can the one I've got. I only have the one which I found while detecting.
Cheers