A 36" bazooka type sluice from a 10$ wheelie bin.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dug

Reaction score
After my purchase of a plastic welder which was pretty cheap by the way ,I had a look around for plastic sheet to buy ,naively I thaught it would be inexpensive ,turns out if I was to get new sheets cut or bought a whole sheet of ABS or Polyurithane it would cost almost as much as a new bazooka prospector .
So looking around I spotted the sides of the wheelie bin ....... Could work ?.
I found two second hand 240ltr bins for $20 he probably would have given them to me for free but I offerd $20 for his helpfulness.
To use the whole of the length of the bin I've cut off the lip .
1427882903_image.jpg

I was pretty happy to see how thick the plastic was and when you cut out all the sides there's some good looking panels to practice on .
1427883228_image.jpg

I was surprised how nice the plastic is to work with, you can use all the same tools as most people have at their disposal.
I've played around a bit with Polyurithane weld "rod" but for me at this stage cutting 3mm strips of wheely bin plastic works best
1427883578_image.jpg

1427884061_image.jpg

I've only done a few practice welds but I'm quietly confident it's gonna work just fine ,tacking it together with an soldering iron seems to do a good job to get everything in place .
Hopefully the bones of it at least will be done over Easter in between bottling tomatoes n stuff.
This is the grill I'll use its just a gal air vent 3" .
1427884796_image.jpg

Hdpe plastic (no 2) 175 degrees C you're good to go. Just keep an eye on warping as this plastic cools.

Remember kiddies good ventilation is no substitute for the nasties plastic can produce.

I really love your ingenuity and the photos look the goods mate. Very good diy. Great share.

Thanks goldtarget ,you mentioned warping ,how can I reduce the chances of that ?

Hi Dug,

How did you end up with this project?
how did you find it? did it work out ok?

Regards

Scott

Latest posts