87 Ounce Nugget found Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiluxlou said:
So let's assume it is fake as Metamorphic has suggested , does that mean there are no more nuggets that size left to detect in the Inglewood area ? The pill box......just watch some of the detecting vids on you tube , heaps of people carry them to store there nuggets in . Inglewood is a dying area ? Inglewood is not the Lone Ranger there , most rural towns around the country are struggling . Why wouldn't you contact The Age or Herald Sun if you were after a buyer ? Maybe he doesn't want to sell it or maybe he doesn't want the publicity. I'm not having a dip at you Meta , just reckon your reasoning has holes in it , plus as has been mentioned why spoil a good story ? If it is infact real good on the bloke who found it , if it is a fake good on the town of Inglewood for a marketing coupe that no advertising company could equal . I wouldn't have clue whether it's real or not , don't really care . I don't prospect in the hope of a retirement stone , if I found one then happy days , if not I've still had a great trip out to the bush.

Hehe....Yeh your right HL, I would rather have a 130k + sitting on the mantlepeice at home than in my bank account too!

If i didnt want publicity, i would post it on Facebook also and feel secure in the fact that nobody would ever see it!

Just an observation and opinion mate, not saying im right, far from it.

Im well aware of the plight of our rural towns, I travel them weekly, I spoke of Inglewood simply because thats the town concerned here.

Thats the beauty of gold, its mesmerizing powers are all consuming of our human spirit.

Never has there been more fact or fiction told surrounding anything else...... it always keeps us guessing and coming back for more.

Not having a dip at you HL, but i tried using a pill bottle once also.....too bloody small. baahaahaa!

Cheers mate ;)

G0lddigg@ said:
nothing really changes on these maps.... you still have to look at the geology and walk over the gold with the right coil.

Spot on.

Reading the ground is very important.

Who knows where this nugget was found anyway.

Thats the beauty of gold, its mesmerizing powers are all consuming of our human spirit.

Never has there been more fact or fiction told surrounding anything else...... it always keeps us guessing and coming back for more.

Not having a dip at you HL, but i tried using a pill bottle once also.....too bloody small. baahaahaa!

Cheers mate ;)

very true mate.

here's an early example ;)

Maryborough and Dunolly Advertiser, 1857.

Specimens were being constantly discovered, so much so that the diggers used to enjoy their Sundays by strolling about the Ranges picking up nuggets in all directions, and of all sizes and richness.

Ahh, so that's why I haven't found any gold.
Its because I'm a non drinker.
Oh well, I still love being in the bush.

The one he's holding is fake but the other one in the picture is not have a look real close to the nuggets there a different shape to each other. :eek:

Jackthehound said:
It is unfortunate to see all the negative comments and doubts of people on this forum, but I guess it is human nature. I know the bloke personally and detected with him a couple of years ago when I was in Victoria for a while, and he is as honest as the day is long. He posted some pictures on facebook and I think another forum, and I say good on him for sharing his find, I was sure glad to see a picture of his find. Are not these forums about that, sharing info, posting pictures, for learning, and to be positive, not to get called a liar or ridiculed by saying that's all bullshit it can't be true. Probably why people do not post big finds.

The only thing I can say is he has determination and spends 6 to 8 hours a day when he goes out detecting and as we all know it is coil time over the ground that finds you gold, and it has paid off for him. Whether you believe it or not I say good onya mate, nice find.

I am the first to eat humble pie, I was wrong in my observations and I apologise to the finder of this nugget sincerely.

Congratulations to the team at CGS.

Jackthehound said:
It is unfortunate to see all the negative comments and doubts of people on this forum, but I guess it is human nature. I know the bloke personally and detected with him a couple of years ago when I was in Victoria for a while, and he is as honest as the day is long. He posted some pictures on facebook and I think another forum, and I say good on him for sharing his find, I was sure glad to see a picture of his find. Are not these forums about that, sharing info, posting pictures, for learning, and to be positive, not to get called a liar or ridiculed by saying that's all bullshit it can't be true. Probably why people do not post big finds.

The only thing I can say is he has determination and spends 6 to 8 hours a day when he goes out detecting and as we all know it is coil time over the ground that finds you gold, and it has paid off for him. Whether you believe it or not I say good onya mate, nice find.

I respect your post mate , even tho you know the bloke my reasons for disbelief hasnt changed. Forgive me for that but im not going to be a hypocrite and suddenly believe it because you say you have detected with him . I just held a piece of lead the same weight and my arm sure as hell showed the strain.
Anyway if he did , good luck to him but im not going to fossick anywhwere different or harder because of his find :cool:

Thanks Doctor, I was told that one by an ex bikie when I was 17.
I was giving him a bit to much lip at the time and that was
his warning to me.
I didn't put my foot in it and neither did he :eek: :D

And Garyo, it must be as they say,
"Ya gotta walk over it to detect it":)

casper said:
GaryO said:
GaryO said:
This nugget would weigh approximately 1kg . Try holding a 1kg sugar packet with 2 fingers :eek: . Im with Meta on this one.
EDIT. Did my sums wrong I was thinking it was 38oz for some reason.. in fact its closer to 2.5 kg

:8 and i overstated by 2 oz. obviously i got all caught in the buzzz...
Sorry Casper , I wasnt correcting your estimate mate but rather correcting my blatant error in weighing it up :8

Metamorphic said:
Doctor said:
on the positive side 8)

even if 20 extra bucks goes into the local economy ,(hopefully more from the new interest) it's 20 bucks that was not there before :)

I agree Doc!

Inglewood is a beautiful town, I go there often on my trips and if this helps the town out at all, Im all for it!

Was waiting for my Hamburger to be cooked one day at the cafe there which is across the road from the Pub.

Took a short stroll up the street while waiting, and spotted a set of those old 60's type Cuisinart Precise Portion scales in an Op Shop window a couple doors up. (10oz max).

Had a small sticker on with the price $4.....eeh i thought what the hell, its probably the only business they will see all week.

3 elderly ladies were sitting around the counter having a good old chat. I handed the lady serving me a 5 buck note and said keep the change.

One of the other ladies turned to me and said, "Are you baking a cake love"?

I said no, Im a prospector and Im going to weigh my gold with it!

Well the look on the faces of these 3 ladies was priceless. Hehe

Lovely town, lovely people, great hamburgers!

;)
Not sure I'd like a total failure on my vehicle though and get stuck for a week with no way out. As I pup I did a 3 month contract there. The local wildlife is well.....interesting at times. Had banjo tuning down to a fine art on the upside.

Latest posts