87 Ounce Nugget found Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stoneage said:
Metamorphic said:
Im a cynical old bastard, everyone knows this, but a few things dont add up for me here.

(1) The pics of it cleaned just dont look real too me. Looks like one of those cast plaster replica's in the right light.

(2) The pic of him holding it by his fingertips, ya just wouldnt do that.....now i have held some serious gold, this thing would have weighed like a house brick.

(3) The pic of it in the dirt just dont look right, looks purposely buried too me.

(4) If you found a massive nugget, would you take the time to put a pill bottle next to it and take pics when it was half dug out? Who carry's a pill bottle detecting with them? The adrenaline would take over and above all else till you got it out just to see how big it was.

(5) No mention of the find in the media papers to authenticate its existence for possible buyer interest and authentic status. I mean why would you post on facebook to alert the world? Maybe cause no one can prove anything?
Why wouldnt you contact the Herald Sun or Age if you had the genuine article?
Either that or just shut up completely.

(6) Inglewood is a dying town, they need a rush.....know what i mean? Not many here even knew where it was?

(7) In the pic of it still dirty, it envelopes his hand....something of that size would spell 200+ ounces to me.

(8) Was originally posted on Facebook with a pic of the guy holding it grinning......then it said prospector unknown. Doesn't he have an account? Cant seem to find that original post either.

I Dunno, but i smell a rat.

Good luck to the finder and is one of the finds of this decade if im wrong.

Regards

;)

ya got some good points there Metamorphic but don't spoil a good story with facts :p

It must be an old guy thing, I made the same comments to my wife when the photos were posted.

So let's assume it is fake as Metamorphic has suggested , does that mean there are no more nuggets that size left to detect in the Inglewood area ? The pill box......just watch some of the detecting vids on you tube , heaps of people carry them to store there nuggets in . Inglewood is a dying area ? Inglewood is not the Lone Ranger there , most rural towns around the country are struggling . Why wouldn't you contact The Age or Herald Sun if you were after a buyer ? Maybe he doesn't want to sell it or maybe he doesn't want the publicity. I'm not having a dip at you Meta , just reckon your reasoning has holes in it , plus as has been mentioned why spoil a good story ? If it is infact real good on the bloke who found it , if it is a fake good on the town of Inglewood for a marketing coupe that no advertising company could equal . I wouldn't have clue whether it's real or not , don't really care . I don't prospect in the hope of a retirement stone , if I found one then happy days , if not I've still had a great trip out to the bush.

If it turns out to real I would be the first to congratulate him on his lucky find as 87 ounces would be worth around $138,000 but it just doesn't look right in the photos we have seen so far.

However I think I may have already mentioned that Easter is just around the corner. :D

These extremely rare giant nuggets have a habit of turning up around now. Some newspapers have even put people up to it:

1423606633_image.jpg
1423607043_image.jpg

And who can forget this one with the gold spray can in the background:

1423607577_image.jpg

1423607361_image.jpg

An 87 ounce nugget that size would actually weigh around 3kg and for him to be holding it in just two fingers by a small edge of it means he must have a vice like grip.

However of course it was on FaceBook so it must be real :p

GaryO said:
This nugget would weigh approximately 1kg . Try holding a 1kg sugar packet with 2 fingers :eek: . Im with Meta on this one.

amazing grip eh... Yup! Gary it weighs all of that and more! assuming the stated 89ozs (troy) is accurate and that being so it'd be 5lbs of gold or around the weight of 1 old fashioned solid clay house brick.

casper

I m on the fake band wagon which I wanted to post at the beginning but thought my negativity might be howled down.

I thought that there would be pick scrapings around the nugget?
The nugget appear to be buried in just red top soil not hard pack clay?
Same thing, holding it with 2 fingers, that's impossible.

There not enough solid evidence for me yet. Surely someone on the Prospecting Australia forums networking group would know of this lucky prospector?

Ah fellas there's certain fake things I can get excited about! Just not in this topic!

I ever dig the multi ouncer you can be sure I'll put up a nice visual of the fakest nugget I can to ensure I have zero credibility and zero stalkers. :D

GaryO said:
This nugget would weigh approximately 1kg . Try holding a 1kg sugar packet with 2 fingers :eek: . Im with Meta on this one.
EDIT. Did my sums wrong I was thinking it was 38oz for some reason.. in fact its closer to 2.5 kg

Doctor said:
on the positive side 8)

even if 20 extra bucks goes into the local economy ,(hopefully more from the new interest) it's 20 bucks that was not there before :)

I agree Doc!

Inglewood is a beautiful town, I go there often on my trips and if this helps the town out at all, Im all for it!

Was waiting for my Hamburger to be cooked one day at the cafe there which is across the road from the Pub.

Took a short stroll up the street while waiting, and spotted a set of those old 60's type Cuisinart Precise Portion scales in an Op Shop window a couple doors up. (10oz max).

Had a small sticker on with the price $4.....eeh i thought what the hell, its probably the only business they will see all week.

3 elderly ladies were sitting around the counter having a good old chat. I handed the lady serving me a 5 buck note and said keep the change.

One of the other ladies turned to me and said, "Are you baking a cake love"?

I said no, Im a prospector and Im going to weigh my gold with it!

Well the look on the faces of these 3 ladies was priceless. Hehe

Lovely town, lovely people, great hamburgers!

;)

If anyone is interested, John Tully has brought out a new map of Inglewood a few months ago. I know that Bendigo Gold (Miners Den) and Coiltec Maryborough have them.
wombat ;)

Hi guys, just for a little info in the weight calculations - a Troy ounce is approximately 31.1 grams, which is different to a normal ounce. In gold terminology the Troy ounce is used therefore the 87 Ouncer will be around 2705.7 grams (2.7 Kg) :)

Cheers

SNAP.

1423623472_capture.jpg

a quote from Stalkerbook.

I had a good day out .caught up with Mick permission given .2.7 kg found with a gpx 4500 using a 17 x11 nugget coil.Mick did not find this on a tour. congratulations from the team at CGS.

It is unfortunate to see all the negative comments and doubts of people on this forum, but I guess it is human nature. I know the bloke personally and detected with him a couple of years ago when I was in Victoria for a while, and he is as honest as the day is long. He posted some pictures on facebook and I think another forum, and I say good on him for sharing his find, I was sure glad to see a picture of his find. Are not these forums about that, sharing info, posting pictures, for learning, and to be positive, not to get called a liar or ridiculed by saying that's all bullshit it can't be true. Probably why people do not post big finds.

The only thing I can say is he has determination and spends 6 to 8 hours a day when he goes out detecting and as we all know it is coil time over the ground that finds you gold, and it has paid off for him. Whether you believe it or not I say good onya mate, nice find.

Latest posts