4x4 auto electrics

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tape the unused ones with paper tape near to the end and write on it where it goes to( goes to X, or goes to fuse such and such) that way you have them there already for if you want to add to your vehicle the extra goodies along the way ! :D
Still making them all safe of course as well. ;)

silver said:
Just tape the unused ones with paper tape near to the end and write on it where it goes to( goes to X, or goes to fuse such and such) that way you have them there already for if you want to add to your vehicle the extra goodies along the way ! :D
Great idea silver !
Radio install went well all connections soldered and heat shrunk and the new UHF is working perfectly.
Found the wires regulator fuses and switch that once ran driving lights.
i just need a new set of lights and the right connections to have them working and a bull bar to mount them on ;)
Also found wiring and every thing else that must have ran a winch in the past....
Left the alarm system alone its been disconnected and every thing works with out it. If I connect it to the alarm control box the egnition will not allow the car to start .must have a kill switch as I have 2 remotes one on the main and spare key.
Might seek help with the alarm from some one with more experience. Till then leaving it as is.

Gday Nucopia, sorry for the late reply but heres some photos of my uhf anyways
1458764614_img_20160324_0498.jpg

1458764638_img_20160324_6524.jpg

As I went direct to the battery it was fairly straight forward, only difficult part was removing the dash panels then getting under there to run the wires and ariel through the firewall grommet and making sure it was sealed again afterward.

TGW.

The Green Wanderer said:
Gday Nucopia, sorry for the late reply but heres some photos of my uhf anyways https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/784/1458764614_img_20160324_0498.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/784/1458764638_img_20160324_6524.jpg
As I went direct to the battery it was fairly straight forward, only difficult part was removing the dash panels then getting under there to run the wires and ariel through the firewall grommet and making sure it was sealed again afterward.

TGW.
TGW
Looks good I have my hand set in the exact same spot .. Sits nicely in the recess.

nucopia said:
silver said:
Great idea silver !
Radio install went well all connections soldered and heat shrunk and the new UHF is working perfectly.
Found the wires regulator fuses and switch that once ran driving lights.
i just need a new set of lights and the right connections to have them working and a bull bar to mount them on ;)
Also found wiring and every thing else that must have ran a winch in the past....
Left the alarm system alone its been disconnected and every thing works with out it. If I connect it to the alarm control box the egnition will not allow the car to start .must have a kill switch as I have 2 remotes one on the main and spare key.
Might seek help with the alarm from some one with more experience. Till then leaving it as is.

Winch wires are about 12mm in dia and connect to the main battery except for one wire the control box earth thats about 3mm in dia and conects to the bullbar if its earthed properly or on the chassis ... i worked for OL welshpool and 4x4 and more that are no more doing major and minor fit outs ..
With spotlight wiring just replace it with a new setup .

Could be a faulty alarm box as to why it was disconnected . Best to just replace it with a more modern setup . Most places who sell them will do the fitting .

A UHF CB Radio transmits 5 Watts of power.
Equates to about 2.5 Amps power draw.
I wired mine to the cigarette plug close by.
The cig plug is designed for 10amps of power so no problems there.
True, Nice to have a solid power source from the battery but in the case
of a UHF CB, No real problems and it is switched via the ign switch.
If I had a either a 27 meg SSB CB or a 25 watt unit like a marine 150 meg radio,
Straight to the battery using 4 square cable.

Cheers Stalker
What you discribe for the winch wiring sounds like what I have under the front bumper. Looks like a pro did the wiring too.
I think the alarm might have been disconnected at the auctions or after the last owner surrendered it to the insurence company.
Will probably get some one with more experience to help me remove the alarm and all the related wiring or like you suggested. When I have the cash get a newer system and have it install by them.
Luckely when i bought it at auctions, it was not on the written off register ,which is why I could get the registration reinstated over the counter . Only had to pay for new plates.

Not sure with the spot light wires they seem to be ok from what I can see and still have power running to them. There is a switch on the dash that turns on and off (illuminates)when I turn on the regular head lights. all the conections under the front bumper for the lights look servicable as well.

Doug that was my first thought use the cigarette lighter for the UHF
luckily the wiring was still good from the previous UHF set up , so I only needed to change the old conections for new ones and plug it in.
The new unit works fine. :D

Latest posts