2WD Van in the WA Goldfields- possible?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday

My partner and I recently converted a LDV panel van into a self-contained camper. Its two wheel drive (front wheel drive) and has pretty darn good clearance.

Were currently in Kalgoorlie until December and are very keen on trying metal detecting for gold in the surrounding areas.

What are your thoughts- would it be possible or would it be a huge handicap for us preventing us from going deeper into the fields and render the whole thing useless?

Thanks in advance :coffee:

A 2wd vehicle will be fine. Just stick to the tracks and dont go out if uts raining. If there has been alot of rain give it a few days for the ground to harden up again.

You just have to be carefull and dont attempt to cross large sandy creek beds etc where there is a chance of getting bogged.

Meet up with someone with a 4wd that can pull you out if needed.
Ill be down in Kalgoorlie in 3 weeks or so if all goes well. Im fappy to meet up and head out around there if you like

Great to hear that we can get out there in our van, good advice regarding the rain thanks.

Im preparing a kit in the event we get stuck or have a flat. Ordered some Maxtrac spin-offs from eBay, slime and a puncture repair kit.

We are planning our first trip on the weekend of the 31st October and will be hiring a GPX 5000 (try before we buy). Hopefully thats enough time for us to get our other bits like a PLB. Ill drop you a message then regarding a meet up (thanks!) :goldnugget:

Also make sure that you do it legally. Thats is, both of you have a Miners Right and you either stick to pending ground or have written permission from the lease holder to be on their lease. The fines are pretty steep for illegal detecting. $5000 was the last one that I saw in the paper for a bloke caught detecting on a lease without permission.

Balmain Bob said:
Also make sure that you do it legally. Thats is, both of you have a Miners Right and you either stick to pending ground or have written permission from the lease holder to be on their lease. The fines are pretty steep for illegal detecting. $5000 was the last one that I saw in the paper for a bloke caught detecting on a lease without permission.

Definitely! We dont want to be looking over our shoulders the entire time, thats no fun I reckon!

Ive been playing around with DMP GeoviewWA tool and will be only going on tenements that are pending, yet to workout how to filter crown land but Im sure Ill work it out.

Thanks fellas!

In the 70s when the tracks were bad we worked for 18 months out of a Holden Belmont ute over the entire goldfields (but we had a light trail bike in case we got stuck - gets you out to a bigger road).

If it rains,then that is a whole lot different..If its dry ,no problems..

Latest posts