Needing some help please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are posts on lamberts but none really answer my questions.
I'm having a bit of trouble finding someone to look at and then tell me which stones are worth cutting and which ones aren't so I'm thinking of just sending them all to lamberts ( minus the teeny tiny ones) and seeing what they can do with them.

Can anyone give me tips for this? What is the minimum and maximum size you would send? Will they still cut even with inclusions and flaws?
Is price based on rough stone per crt or crt after cut?
How long does it usually take?
Do they send the ones they couldn't cut back to you?

Can anyone else offer any more info or advice?
Thanks everyone :)

Hi Spud,

I normally write something like this,

LAMBERT INDUSTRIES, LTD,
Lambert Industries Ltd.
807 Silom Road, 4th Flr.
Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Hi Lambert Industries Ltd,

Please find enclosed mineral sample of no commercial value and cutting instructions

Can I please have this parcel, eye clean/VS any shape that rough allows.

1. Corrundum multiple colours blue, green, yellow and parti approximately --- stones at ----cts total.

My contact details are Blah_blah.com.au or Mob 0412 345 678 I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely

Colin

I would just send everything, the more you send the better. They will reject any thing that is not to the standard you ask for.

They will cut stones that are a few mm, the final price is based on the end carat weight and they will send back rejects ;)

Cheers

Col

Legend thanks col!
So you make payment after? I need to try to figure out a rough estimate of price before I send them otherwise knowing my luck I won't have the cash to pay and will end up not getting my stones back lol
Oh and how long did it take for one if your parcels to be done?

Yep they send you and invoice and you can pay via bank deposit to a CBA account. There is an approx three month turn around on stones.

Cheers

Col

Spud ... I'd send your stuff that's under 3 carat , but if you think you have clean / clear stones this size or bigger , I'd hang on to those. Lambert s might cut a 0.4 carat stone from a 4 carat . Something to think about .
Send a small parcel and see if you like the results . Some people are pickier than others ..;)

I would much prefer to not send them to Thailand Solomon, problem is I can't find a local place

Spud, anything clear with no cracks and a great colour over 3-4ct just don't send there, they do a decent job on stuff which is too small for local cutters to be bothered with. Also having a small stone cut locally will cost more than the stone is worth generally speaking.

Save your best ones and find someone you can trust.

Send anything smaller to Lamberts, they do a decent job for the price, I've seen some pretty uneven cuts on larger stones from there. I'm still waiting for my invoice, has been about 8 weeks so far but I sent quite a lot of stones. My mate just got his invoice with a pic they send, was about $290 for the parcel in the photo. Everything on the Left are rejects........ a lot! :eek:

1407708275_lamberts_stones.jpg

oh wow! sounds like its just worth while sending them all if they will send back the ones they cant do.
im just waiting on my scales to arrive and then i will make a log.
the thing with a lot of my stones is with out light they are not very clear but with light they look amazing....
is there a directory for local ( Australian cutters ) at all?

i cant wait to send them and then get them back, really want to make a ring for my mum :)

Hey Spud,

I have often used Lamberts for stones I can't be bothered to cut myself they provide good service and you get back YOUR stones. When sending your stones over it is often better to also ask for calibrated sizes as it is easier ( & stacks cheaper) to get a commercial setting, there is a small price to pay for calibrated sizes last time was only 0.20 cents per carat extra. If you are going to make the ring yourself then ask for the best size possible from the rough - specify also whether you want eye clean or whether small inclusions are ok.

I've also seen larger stones > 10 carats ( smoky quartz & topaz) cut by Lamberts which were more than acceptable .

Latest posts