Finds from Sapphire bend, Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought I'd post todays finds.
The water was bloody freezing and we kept having to stop to warm my hands as they were red from the cold.
Just some small stones. I have no idea about carat size or anything, but you can see the size in the film canister lid.
The colour difference between the stones is quite beautiful. They are all from the same location and yet some are so dark and some so pale blue. theres nothing quite like seeing a sparkle in the pan/sieve. I've still only found three tiny flecks of gold, so haven't experienced that yet.

Some nice colours there Naynay...and those Zircons facet into some brilliant stones when they get a little bigger. They have the next highest refractive index to Diamonds and if cut properly are almost impossible to tell apart. Keep posting the pics mate and good luck on the next hunt...Cheers Wal. :)

Fantastic looking gems there mate, you guys are truly giving me stone fever.

Nice work - we were out at the bend on Sunday as well but in the main fossicking area - weren't as lucky, but there is always next time! :)

We dug in the main fossicking area and washed down at the steep creek. Did about 6 pans each, so was a lot to dig through to find those few.

nice stones!!

let me know if you want some weekend company out there... i lve at O'Connell so its just up the road!!

cheers phish

NayNay - Where is this steep creek you speak of? :) I have been heading down to that dam down Riverview Rd to wash my wash :)

you need a 4WD to get to it, I *think* it is the Little River one...

Little River Fossicking Reserve. Between the two bridges and opposite junction of Abercrombie and Shooters Hill Roads at Porters Retreat. Find: Sapphires & Zircons.
Campbells River Causeway. Forestry maintained camping area on Campbells River Road. Find: Sapphires, Zircon & Gold.
Sapphire Bend. Riverview Road second turn left on Abercrombie Road after Black Springs. Find: Sapphires, Zircons & Occasional Industrial Diamonds.
Sewells Creek Causeway. Travel out Sewells Creek Road to causeway Fossicking area on right hand side of the road. Find: Sapphires, Zircons & Gold.
Native Dog Creek. Two access points from State Forest Roads. Drive in at Riverview Forest road left side of road after Foleys Creek road, Drive in a short way, old mine shaft for Gold. Travel on to where you meet up with Beaconsfield road, turn right travel 1/2 km then turn left and follow the road to Native Dog Creek. Find: Gold, Zircons & Sapphires.

Oh - ROFL! thats the one I tried to get my Mazda up got halfway there but wasn't willing to go too much further :) If you were out at Porter's you did pretty well!

Hi All,

Was out at Sapphire bend last weekend just wanted to let everyone know if your heading out make sure your prepared for the Cold and the wet........All the diggings were full to the brim with water and to top it off the ground water is quite high at the moment so bring a pump or be prepared to bucket!

1404981139_img-20140710-wa0002.jpg

On the plus side.....you don't have to go far to wash, my wetsuit/spearfishing gloves really saved the day.

1404981235_img-20140710-wa0004.jpg

After much digging and bucketing This is what we got for our troubles.

1404981365_img-20140710-wa0003.jpg

Hope this post helps and know one starts there fossicking mission unprepared.

At least the Sapphires were co-operating, nice haul, the quality of the stones up there is great. Maybe they are Bluer because it was so bloody cold. :D

Just a day trip or did you camp out? Might have to get myself out there for a dig maybe next week or week after, I need a Sapphire fix.

Hey Heatho,

We camped on the corner at black springs.....it was cold but we were prepared we started a fire and bought every blanket we owned and finished off a bottle of port so slept like a baby. It was funny when we were in town the locals were predicting snow and just couldn't understand why we would bother digging around out there........still had a fantastic weekend all the same.

Will probably head up early Saturday for a day trip might catch you out there.