Indochinte Tektite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbut

Paul
Reaction score
This is a Indochinte Tektite & is 700,000 years old.

They are formed when a meteorite , usually of substantial size , hits the earth. The surrounding rock is melted on impact and is ejected into the upper amothsphere, where they cool very quickly & form these "teardrop" or "pear"shapes as they fall back to earth.
1373636569_photo0138.jpg

Very interesting, thanks. I would be so excited to find one of those. .....Cheers Debra

bits of the moon, melted after an impact and flung off and up and over to us, I think the Nullabor is another area they are found in numbers.

The rock is actually called a Tektite , and I beleive this is from the Indo China area , thus Indochinite Tektite , I bought it on fleabay :)

Ive found quite a few of these around Kalgoorlie. I smashed a few to see what they were before a mate told me what they are..silly me. its like black glass. chips like glass, crushes and breaks same as glass..I assumed it was volcanic glass(whatever that means..lol) I have a few shaped like rabbit poo. (thats why i picked them up, thought it was petrified poo) and one 20mm dia. I dont know if they worthanything , but theyre interesting finds..
1407968935_p9081635.jpg

Muttering said:
bits of the moon, melted after an impact and flung off and up and over to us, I think the Nullabor is another area they are found in numbers.
I always thought our meteroites came from the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter but I was wrong
"There have been many theories for tektite origins, with a lunar origin (rock splashed out from the moon by meteorite impact, or erupted from volcanoes) being dismissed only recently. The most favoured theory suggests an origin from Earth, where rock was hurled up into our atmosphere by the impact of a large meteorite or asteroid, then partially re-melted as it fell back through the atmosphere to the ground. - See more at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/Tektites#sthash.Uec6Sjlw.dpuf\"

Latest posts