Best way to clean old coins? Pre decimals.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone just wondering what's the best way to clean coins, CLR doesn't seem to cut it. Maybe I need to leave it in longer?

Thanks,

Check out this topic for cleaning Silvers https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=663, and this one for old encrusted coins https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4101

I generally don't bother cleaning Coppers, however some have had luck soaking them in Olive Oil for several weeks to months then using a soft brush / sponge to clean away any dirt etc, while others have used electrolysis.

CLR and the like should be avoided as in my experience it does much more damage than good.

Yeah don't use CLR I saw a penny basically
Dissolve before my eyes
And definitely DONT!!!put a florin in CLR
I use electrolisis to move most of the
Tuff crap then lightly get a nylon scrubbing
Brush and baking soda in my hand
And rub away the rest
I get no scratches and a gleaming
Silver coin
EM

I think it's about recognising that valuable coin SD as soon as it sees the light again as well,....that way you've got a heads up on "to clean or not to clean" before you reach for the brasso and steel wire brush fitted to the drill.

Can i ask your purpose for wanting it clean please?

Only, collectors will usually avoid coins if they've been cleaned, unless its an ultra rare specimen they don't have in their collection.

Others can provide methodology but i generally don't 'modify' them myself.

Cheers

For rare specimens ( Key date coins like 1930 Penny ) you are best not to clean them at all, get a valuation first.
Any attempt at cleaning a rare and valuable key date coin will most likely wipe of significant value.

Swinging & digging said:
For rare specimens ( Key date coins like 1930 Penny ) you are best not to clean them at all, get a valuation first.
Any attempt at cleaning a rare and valuable key date coin will most likely wipe of significant value.

As a sometime coin collector, I agree regarding anything that may be a collectable and where its condition is likely to impact its value.

Rob.

As a general clean i soak in hot soapy water overnite ,scrub with nylon scourer or tooth brush & rinse. Pennies & tokens i then soak in olive oil for up to a month or more. Scrub & rinse. Silvers i soak & scrub & rinse. You can go further with C A B treatment or bi carb. See other threads. My finds come from soil not beach. Cheers.

i found an old coin at creswick. its in pretty bad condition, if i use watch repair magnifier glasses i can see a 1862 on it .would like to clean it up some how anyone know how

Do you know what it is made of? Or what coin it is?
Silver, copper, bronze?
If your not sure post a pix up with it next to a modern coin for comparison and someone should be able to identify

Latest posts