Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the good advice guys. Yes Dean reckoned the 12x7 was the best so that's why I got it. To be honest swinging a tiny coil bugs me cause it takes a lot longer to cover ground. But. Fact of the matter is...There's so many swingers out in the fields now with very good machines that the finds are getting scarcer. Enter the new Minelab tiny gold carpet sweeper. Mate of mine just got one. He's all excited because he's finding those miniscule bits with it. But he's gonna have to do a lot of swinging to bring home the bacon. Anyway l'm waffling a bit here. I've come to the conclusion that we are all going to be forced into finding itsy bitsy bits too. Hence my interest in the coil you suggested. I just don't think it's worth spending $4000 to find em as you so wisely pointed out. So I might still sell the 12x7 and get one. I reckon the 12 that came with the app is ok for just about everything else. ;)

ronniecruisin said:
Thanks for the good advice guys. Yes Dean reckoned the 12x7 was the best so that's why I got it. To be honest swinging a tiny coil bugs me cause it takes a lot longer to cover ground. But. Fact of the matter is...There's so many swingers out in the fields now with very good machines that the finds are getting scarcer. Enter the new Minelab tiny gold carpet sweeper. Mate of mine just got one. He's all excited because he's finding those miniscule bits with it. But he's gonna have to do a lot of swinging to bring home the bacon. Anyway l'm waffling a bit here. I've come to the conclusion that we are all going to be forced into finding itsy bitsy bits too. Hence my interest in the coil you suggested. I just don't think it's worth spending $4000 to find em as you so wisely pointed out. So I might still sell the 12x7 and get one. I reckon the 12 that came with the app is ok for just about everything else. ;)

There are 12 months in a year. Some of these days the bush gets hot by 1pm and many other days it rains and the grounds are wet.
Then you have the period in winter when tracks are wet then you need to find time to go out detecting. You soon realise 12 months is not
a long time and you then realise all areas can not be flogged?

Your on the right track.

Don't get bamboozled or side tracked by others.

Learn your machine and don't swing it too fast.

Good luck with it and keep us all updated..

Hi all,

There must be a few SPPs out there by now :)

I wonder who will be the first one to find a nugget??

I hope its me, however I wish you all the luck in the world with your detecting regardless of the machine/method you use

let the fun begin :) :)

Jim & Kerrie

That's all true. But as a fairly seasoned detectorist ( about 4 years ) and around 300-400 nuggets in that time (Biggest was 10 grams). I can remember a time when I would score at least one each time I went out. Now.... All day.... Nothing! There is definately less than there were. So the tiny pickers have become more important than they were before hence the reason for the new ML. These companies know exactly what they are doing and they know when to release new technology. Wish I was as smart. I'd be a very rich man.!

That clip was done a long time ago and I believe it's Reg Sniff he is a gun on the G5 and Tdi detectors.
Iv used the a TDi pro down the local park many times and it does work very well at disc'n out trash the SPP can do this as well once you work out target sounds.

Once I get mine spp it will be a new experience I have used M/L since the GT 1600 days the only other whites I had, was a 5000 geb my first detector. I will more than likely be asking for advice from the people that are familiar with whites detectors regards john :)

Hi there,
If any one reading this who has a Whites SPP, could you upload a video of the detector out in the field.
It seems there are a few out there in the market but no videos of it in action.

I hadn't thought of doing a video, probably should for when the big find comes along. Have probably done 3 days with the SPP so far and a video would have only shown me digging bullets and lead pellets. Mind you it is getting some good depth on these targets. Will take the camera next time I am out.

Hi. All. One thing I have discovered with the spp. Tis very easy to use and very quiet, even under power lines. Used to have some dramas with my old gpx4000 but the whites does not seem to be affected. Found a couple lead pellets under said power lines. Nice bright sound. And that was with the standard coil. Pretty good methinks. Its a pleasant machine to use.

Its very quiet out there for the SPP, the sdc2300 has started out of the boxes fast. It would be good to see some gold found with this detector. :)

I have done less then ten hours detecting with my new SPP. Lately, every time I plan to go, something comes up to stop me. Can't find any gold in my backyard, unfortunately.
Karl

Hi All,
Battery Question
I have just stuck the nickel Mh battery on the charger.

Question is how long should it charge for? I don't want to over charge it as I have read that it can diminish the life span of the battery.

Are they meant to be charged and discharged several times before they reach their maximum performance.

Should they be stored charged or discharged? I am in belief they should be charged the day before prospecting and stored fully discharged.

(The included Alcalines lasted a grand total of 38 minutes)

The charger would have an automatic cutoff to prevent overcharging however it's always not a bad idea to unplug the battery as soon as it's fully charged. The manual should contain charging times otherwise the status lights on the charger will indicate as to whether or not the battery is fully charged.

These days rechargeable batteries come factory primed so there's no need to discharge / recharge to gain maximum performance.

Modern NiMH batteries don't suffer from memory effect, so you can charge / discharge as much or as little as you want without any ill side effect. BUT, in saying that you are better to charge less often than often as with all rechargeable batteries they only have a limited number of charge cycles before they need to be replaced (age is a factor also).

Cheers,
Nugget

To be honest the SPP is incredibly easy to use, however the included "instruction manual" is average at best. It doest mention anything about the battery charge times, the charger definitely is not a SMART charger it only has a red light and green light. Red light ON when 240 is connected and when you slip the battery into the cradle the green light illuminates.

The battery has been on for little over an hour and is getting very warm (to be expected) I will remove it after 4 hours and then discharge it.

Looks like my rechargeable AA oneloops that I have been stockpiling will finally get some use

Latest posts