Victorian Government Response to Victorian Environmental Assessment Councils (VEAC) Investigation into additional prospecting areas in parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sent my letter to VNAP today

fingers crossed :|

I put about 55 hours of work into this so far by researching , composing submissions , letters and emails to ;

VNAP
NSW Crown Lands Management Review
5 letters to serving members of parliament and other Greens senators
Prime TV
newspaper editors ( 5 )
posted on every facebook prospecting page if it wasnt already there

I have signed the petition

posted the petition on every website i can think of

Is there anything else i missed doing ???

Hi guys,
dwt, wombat and I finally caught up with each other at the PMAV Bendigo branch meeting in the Whipstick last weekend.

At this stage the best I can report is that Lynnie, (PMAV Bendigo president) and her crew have done a massive amount of work and organizing stuff already.

I'm sure most of you regular forum readers are aware, dwt has more than demonstrated what can be achieved. Check out his posts. He should be applauded for his efforts.

There has been some rehashing of Clean Up day dates, because of different clashes, but I'll leave it up to Lynnie to send out the notifications once it has all been verified.

We're keeping our fingers crossed as we are tackling the issue of tip fees.

Let me say that, anyone that's interested if coming along on the day, needs to keep an eye on the forum. The details will become clearer as we get closer to the day.

Somewhere along the line, I dare say there will be a request for expressions of interest from those wishing to attend, so we can get a handle of numbers. What might happen on the day is that we split into two or more groups and tackle different areas, so an idea of numbers will help the planning.

For what it's worth, I'm happy to start a register of names and contact details for those who wish to attend.

Anyway, in the mean time, fill your holes and take out more than you take in,,,,,,, just leave the yellow stuff for me.

Cheers, Ron.

I got this sent to me today by VEAC who is doing the Investigation on, looking at most of the State Forests in the Golden Triangle and possibly turning them into State or National Parks. So please read the report and take up the offer. Remember this is your hobby and your state forest they are talking about. If we don't do anything we will loose it for ever. There is no turning back.
wombat ;)

An invitation to meet with VEAC at community drop-in sessions
VEAC wants to hear from individuals and organisations about values, uses and management issues in the Central West Investigation area. The information you provide will assist us in developing a draft proposals paper to be released in mid 2018 for public comment.

Written submissions will be accepted unil 21 August 2017.

Community drop-in sessions are being held in regional locations during the submission period. Come and find out about the investigation and talk to VEAC about public land in and around the Wellsford forest, Wombat forest-Macedon Ranges, Hepburn area, Cobaw forest, and Mount Cole and the Pyrenees Range.

You are welcome to arrive and leave at any stage during the listed times. Prior registration is not required.

Community drop-in sessions

Bendigo Library
Tuesday 18 July 2017, 3pm - 7pm
251-259 Hargreaves Street, Bendigo

Beaufort Football and Netball Club
Wednesday 26 July 2017, 3pm - 7pm
Goldfields Recreation Reserve
Park Road, Beaufort

Woodend Community Centre
Thursday 27 July 2017, 3pm - 7pm
High Street and Forest Street, Woodend

Daylesford Neighbourhood Centre
Tuesday 1 August 2017, 3pm - 7pm
13 Camp Road, Daylesford

Avoca Town Hall
Thursday 3 August 2017, 3pm - 7pm
Corner of Rutherford Street and Cambridge Street, Avoca

At this rate there won't be any State Forest left. Its' very disturbing to see how much State Forest has been whittled away over the last 4 decades - a Regional, State or National Park here, a Historic Area or Conservation Area there. Pretty soon you are talking about serious land hectares. Always with more restrictions.

When you look at maps over time of the growing patchwork of all the above areas being carved from the State Forests, it will only be a matter of time when they will be linked up, consuming the remaining State Forest remnants lingering between them.

G'day All,
no matter what state your in, so much for state or crown land to be used by the general public , looks like the aim is to turn them into national parks yes, the public can still access and use the areas, but there will be restrictions on what you are permitted to do this is the typical way the government officials work , plan for months or years in advance , nut out their outcomes they want, then let the public consultation process begin, so they cant be accused of railroading legislation thru, you will notice the very short time span between public meetings and the closing date for submissions, it does not give a member of the general public much time to prepare and submit an application, I wonder if NAPFA has had a chance to prepare a submission I don't like our chances of still being able to fossick in a national park, the proposed draft plan will be the final plan watch the time span for implemention of the final adopted plan

I'll try to get to the Woodend info session, if we dont show suport to potential threats to our recreation activities, they will be progressively reduced or eliminated. It is ironic that NSW is opening up areas for prospecting and Vic is looking into shutting them down. Ken.

That's almost every bit of forrest not already a preserved area.. Lots of prospecting locations. Takes in Blackwood, Trenthem, Stewart Mill, Redbank and many others.
I'll be going to the Woodend showing.

Not sure if I'm write here but does it mean the Federal Government takes over funding of the maintenance and preservation of this area if it becomes World Heratige listed?

RR

Unfortunately a lot of these types of matters are part of back room deals between parties, in this case likely the greens, in order to get support on other matters. I'm not sure if this will be yet another done deal that then gets opened up to public submissions that will just be ignored or not. It's certainly worth trying to fight for our rights, but democracy in this country (open dealings in line with public wishes) is in a terrible state.
If l was in that part of the country l would certainly be attending as many of these meetings as l could, but anyone that can make it, please don't just sit quietly, make your voices heard.

Started drafting rough notes for my submission tonight, only 4 weeks until submissions have to be in. I think the key to a effective submission would be to address the following (from their website)

The role of the Council is to conduct investigations that are requested by the Victorian Government relating to the protection and ecologically sustainable management of the environment and natural resources of public land.

I will definately be going to the woodend meeting/info session. Ken.

Woodend Community Centre today 3pm to 7pm.

Wombats directions are High St and Forest St Woodend. Opposite the BP servo Forest St is the road to Tylden I'll be there at some stage.

Well my day didn't work out as planned, unfortunately I didn't make it to Woodend. So I'll be putting in a written submission.

Well Ken2m and myself went along to the info session, it was attended by a number of groups, Bachus marsh 4x4 club member Heinz we met and he had same concerns about locking up the forrest and restricted access.

We sat and put our concerns to the VEAC in attendance and I found the responses were very cordial and basically gave nothing away... "No descions have been made at this time" they were aware of an on line petition and have had most submissions from prospectors.

One of the VEAC members on our table let slip that National Parks may be taking over maintenance
of the tracks into the areas concerned.

I urge everyone to submit a submission on the link above,

Nice to meet you Ken, Lets keep the mongrels honest..

Rambling Rude

Thanks for the update RR sounds like the same old story. Give the public a consultation process and tell them nothing.

Is there any accessible information regarding what submissions have been made and are they available to the public. The more submissions the better or we'll loose more than we think if Parks Victoria get their hands on it.

G,day RM,

Reading from the info sheet they handed out last night,
"Submissions will be treated as public documents and will be published on VEAC's website.
The name of each submitter will be identified as part of each published submission, but personal contact details
will be removed before publishing"

www.VEAC.vic.gov.au

Also stated " all type of public lands will be reviewed, including:
Parks and reserves
State forests
Stream frontages
Unused roads
Water production areas
Uncategorised public land

It just about effects every bit of land.. Stream frontages, water production areas, I think there will be moves in that area for certain.
a number of times it was mentioned that "everything is a catchment"
I will try to scan this info sheet and put it up..

RR

Thanks Rudy, the thing that most concerns me is the number of threatened species in the areas concerned. I think the final determination will be strongly based on the impact on those species. There are however many things that would have an effect on these species, including global warming and loss of natural habitat. But the exclusion or even reduced numbers of people in these areas will potentially make some areas more prone to bushfires, which will could cause mass extinction of most wildlife in these areas. So it will be a large task to balance the positive and negative aspects of the future of this area. Ken.

Latest posts