National High Resolution Mapping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beagleboy said:
Ryan, I just got the app and looking forward to testing it. I am heading to GT tomorrow to visit a friend so I will have a crack at using it. Thanks for your posts.
I'm sure you will have fun, I had one of those breakthrough moments today.

HeadsUp said:
You're welcome Ryan

For anyone thinking of buying Ipads for field mapping , make sure you get the one with GPS built in , some models dont have it.

which maps did you import / customise ?

I am still learning with it but i download detailed topo or satellite / hybrid images of the areas i want before leaving home where the internet connection is "free"

I use the "record track" function before leaving the car so i dont walk around for a week looking for it later

its easy to add waypoints and details of that waypoint, it will record time travelled, distance, elevation, direction

http://support.motionx.com/tutorials/motionx-gps-tutorials/
I haven't imported any map program's yet. Basically what I did is had a quick look a Doug Stones map, had a bit of a giggle, then went and picked out an area 2 to 3k's away on the HD map that had no visible diggings. I spotted a couple of suspect areas with the odd shaft and a little surface work. That's where I started my mission. I look for small dams or what seems to be on the map as anomalies in the terrain and begin plotting way points. However I head for higher ground first, here I can get a better view of the fall of the land and spot any disturbed ground in the gullies better.
After Reading Loamers post on what to look for I got a deeper understanding of the geology of gold and it's movement towards the lower points. The indicators jump out at me now!
I plan to use this program to apply a little more method to my gold fever madness.
Today I came out here with a plan and I stuck to my plan.
Once I feel that the hill and it's gullies have given me all I need to know.
Out comes the heavy artillery (gpx)
Please Note for the record, I did take a compass and I did make myself familiar with the sun and any notable land marks.
Which wasn't many because the scrub was dense in some parts.
However this was the first time with this program and I felt having plan B was a good idea.

So far i have imported 10,000 google earth waypoints using Itunes drag n drop

convert KMZ to .GPS here

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

and make yourself a map here

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

re your plan B . always a good idea

I have an antique ( 6 years old ) lowrance Go which i hide in my pocket until nobody is looking but its as sophisticated as riding a jersey cow in the melbourne cup

Hi, I don't have Internet on my phone, do I need it for this or do I just turn the gps on and add the app?

Bump..

HeadsUp

I just had a bit of a play with this on my MacBook works ok in 2D
i will down load Google Chrome and see what the differance is
Thanks for the Link

Cheers
Jim

rgmhot said:
Hi, I don't have Internet on my phone, do I need it for this or do I just turn the gps on and add the app?
What phone are you using? This is an app for iPad. There is an app for iPhone as well but I think it's a cut down version. I have not used it.

Ryan27 said:
Beagleboy said:
Ryan, I just got the app and looking forward to testing it. I am heading to GT tomorrow to visit a friend so I will have a crack at using it. Thanks for your posts.
I'm sure you will have fun, I had one of those breakthrough moments today.
Had a play with it yesterday and it does chew the battery a bit. Very good app though. I just have to learn how to use it properly.

rgmhot said:

You'll need to download the app over a data connection (WiFi, 3G/4G) as well as saving / downloading any offline maps, overlays etc. Once you've done this you can get away with just connecting to satellites to track your position providing the app supports it.

Am I missing something with Nat Maps and the associated Bing ariels , topo's etc?
They appear very old. They show a tree I cut down about 18 months ago, wheras Google Earth shows a trailer I parked in Dunolly 3 weeks ago.

great detail but my computer needed alot of updates that i had avoided to load it!

The Green Wanderer said:
Doesn't seem to want to load on android, could be im in a bad signal spot. Anyone else tried loading it on android devices?
Hmm doesn't work on my galaxy note 2 phone : (

what kind of tablet do you have Debra ?

If you have Ipad then there is MotionX HD GPS , Hema Maps also has route tracking , so does memory maps

whatever tablet you're using such as android , windows , Ipad etc , just do some googling for "mapping apps on xxx tablet"

:)

THankyou for replying. I have a galaxy 10.1 android tablet and I will google as you suggested. Cheers Debra
HeadsUp said:
what kind of tablet do you have Debra ?

If you have Ipad then there is MotionX HD GPS , Hema Maps also has route tracking , so does memory maps

whatever tablet you're using such as android , windows , Ipad etc , just do some googling for "mapping apps on xxx tablet"

:)

HeadsUp said:
there will apparently be quite a few developments in mapping this year so i wont rush in to changing devices too much until it all settles in

currently google earth maps can be up to 6 - 10 year old images and low resolution

Whats coming is maps that are all less than 3 months old and high resolution too

data from mining departments around the country will become cross platform compatible

fingers crossed they provide whats on my shopping list such as GPS active maps so you can walk out in the field and see exactly where you are in relation to the border of leases , national parks or reserves , show the boundaries of crown land / private land and have accuracy of 3 - 5 metres , plus navigate your way to geological features and mineral locations.

Oh , and if you didnt notice yet , that national mapping page will have the ability to import data sets and probably the option of adding data layers so you can click on a spot and get historical data such as who operated a mine , how much gold was found , links to old newspaper articles and drill results ..... the possibilities are endless.

Wow. I love the online Australian mineral mapping data and how helpful it is, and this new stuff sounds great! I'm embarrassed to say it, but there is no comparison to what we have to deal with here in the US; the only way to find out claim boundaries is to go to a government office and look up the claim form and get the exact location off of that. There is absolutely no online mapping of locations, only a list of claims in given areas. Makes it really difficult to stay off claims. I found it easier to contact the claim owner directly and ask him where it is so I don't intrude. They really appreciate the effort and often invite me to detect on their claim anyways. Others don't even know where the boundaries are, as they only bought it as an investment - to resell someday.
I can hardly wait to do my homework when I plan my expedition Down Under!

Awesome Tool, thanks for posting!

But I can still recommend Geovic for Victoria and minview for NSW!

I Also recommend The earth resources page of the Dapartment of state development business and innovation For lots of useful gold maps of Vic :)

Cheers,

Banana Bread (BB)

As I'm too much of a dummy to understand this tekno-speak about the digital mapping; will someone tell me the best place to get relatively up-to-date topo maps, please.

Latest posts