National High Resolution Mapping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
contact email for anyone with questions , fault reporting or requests for help on file conversion

[email protected]

FAQ and guide to use

http://nicta.github.io/nationalmap/public/faq.html

open source software currently being used (more to follow)

Cesium (open source under the Apache 2.0 licence)
Leaflet (open source under the simplified BSD licence)
Geoserver (open source under the GNU GPL 2.0 licence)
jquery, URI.js, proj4js, html2canvas, knockout (all open source under the MIT licence)
esri-leaflet.js (open source under the Apache 2.0 licence)
togeojson, Tilelayer.Bing.js (open source under the wtfpl ver 2)

still in 2D the menu bar is what you should see when you add data levels

1405043548_natmap2.jpg

Doesn't seem to want to load on android, could be im in a bad signal spot. Anyone else tried loading it on android devices?

Yes it works on my tab 3 note. But images of my area of interest are older then the one center available on Google Earth.
Karl

HeadsUp put me onto MotionX GPS HD. This an Apple App.
I gave it a run for its money today, and I will say that it got me to every waypoint and back to the car with no problem.
I left the detector in the car and I covered around 8 to 10 k's on foot, checking out everything that where of interest, clearings, puddlers, diggings, gullies, creeks, fence lines etc ,etc.
It seemed to be accurate to around 4 to 5 meters, accuracy improved if you stand still for awhile, this is due to satellite triangulation I think?
I managed to find some diggings that aren't on any maps. I was able to mark these and some other items of interest, like BIG detector holes ! ( they were filled back in )
Will be spending some more time with it tomorrow in some more gullies that are fairly remote.
The features on the App are pretty good, worth checking out.
Thanks HeadsUp.

Nice work mate. If you ever get a chance to watch any Jack Lang DVDs, he recommends the same process - walk the ground and come back later with a detector. Some people will say this is a waste of detecting time. I disagree, unless of course you are pushed for time. I also like the 5m +/- accuracy - pretty good. Will you be making maps and can you still use the camera capability while running the app?

Ryan27 said:
I gave it a run for its money today, and I will say that it got me to every waypoint and back to the car with no problem.
I left the detector in the car and I covered around 8 to 10 k's on foot, checking out everything that where of interest, clearings, puddlers, diggings, gullies, creeks, fence lines etc ,etc.
It seemed to be accurate to around 4 to 5 meters, accuracy improved if you stand still for awhile, this is due to satellite triangulation I think?
I managed to find some diggings that aren't on any maps. I was able to mark these and some other items of interest, like BIG detector holes ! ( they were filled back in )
Will be spending some more time with it tomorrow in some more gullies that are fairly remote.
Thanks HeadsUp.

G'day mate. Are you using iPhone or iPad? This sounds like a good app. :)

I can keep all way points on the map program, points of interest I will code and store. What I like about the tracking function is that it records a blue line wherever you go. This will come handy when I go to work and grid the area.
I can take a photo of a point of interest and upload to that way point.
I agree with you in regards to leaving the detector alone when visiting a new area. I found out more in 6 To 7 hours of this particular area than I would have in a week of detecting. Tomorrow I plan to do much of the same.
I will be back next weekend to detect with a plan of action.
One thing I noticed is that conglomerate and Quartz was spread across the area and it wasn't concentrated in any particular spot. This I gather as being an ancient lead that was running at a higher altitude has eroded down and spread itself in every which way.
My guess is the gold will be spread the same. Hence why there is few diggings in the area. Simply put, the old timers found very few spots where it was concentrated.
The quartz wasn't shedding like reef quartz. I also found a few nice pieces of alluvial pink quartz on one rise. This rock had been in the water along time, a very long time ago !

You're right Ryan27 the MotionX GPS is a great iPhone/iPad app, used to use it to track my daily exercise walks and seemed to be very accurate in that regards, distance, inclines, altitude, distance covered average/max speed all there and you can save each 'track' and see where you've been (seems better than 4-5m accuracy but that may be metro area related).
Then again guess I'm just a sucker for mapping related anything.
Although did give the "nearMap' special offer a miss, they were a great resource (for areas covered) where you could look at how areas have changed over a period of years, alas pretty expensive ay $100 a year and limited coverage of some of the goldfields.
Cheers T.

Beagleboy said:
Ryan27 said:
Thanks HeadsUp.

G'day mate. Are you using iPhone or iPad? This sounds like a good app. :)
Ipad ! Unfortunately it wouldn't take to the iPhone.
Now that I have confidence in the GPS function, when I detect I will switch it off and only use it to get me home.
I did notice it likes the battery juice on the pad. So a quick charger is on the cards.

Teemore said:
You're right Ryan27 the MotionX GPS is a great iPhone/iPad app, used to use it to track my daily exercise walks and seemed to be very accurate in that regards, distance, inclines, altitude, distance covered average/max speed all there and you can save each 'track' and see where you've been (seems better than 4-5m accuracy but that may be metro area related).
Then again guess I'm just a sucker for mapping related anything.
Although did give the "nearMap' special offer a miss, they were a great resource (for areas covered) where you could look at how areas have changed over a period of years, alas pretty expensive ay $100 a year and limited coverage of some of the goldfields.
Cheers T.
The accuracy was better when I stopped. However when I do recon I think the satellites had trouble keeping up with me. Lol

As an alternative for Android, I've started playing with Backpacker GPS Trails Pro which so far looks promising. There's a trial / free version also.

Ryan - thanks for the very informative posts. The area as you describe sounds very promising - very geologically old to have weathered so well. I love areas with minimal diggings or diggings that have not been mapped. I usually reach the conclusion that the area was uneconomical to the diggers or and/or too patchy BUT very potentially productive for detecting. The scattering of conglomerate and pink coloured quartz - yum yum!!! I also look out for coloured slates and what I call rotten or mouse eaten quartz, also good signs. Good luck in there mate. Good motto - 'the easy is way is also usually the most detected way'.

Nugget said:
As an alternative for Android, I've started playing with Backpacker GPS Trails Pro which so far looks promising. There's a trial / free version also.
These App based GPS mapping program's are the best thing I have seen in years.
If the maps are High Def. Even better. I was able to pick a 1mtr round shaft in the middle of nowhere and I found it today with ease. I think some good gold can be won using this technology and some research.
It has given me a lot more confidence in going further and deeper into unfamiliar country.
Keep us in the loop on the Android program.
I'm still learning Motion X, so far it has been user friendly.

Ryan, I just got the app and looking forward to testing it. I am heading to GT tomorrow to visit a friend so I will have a crack at using it. Thanks for your posts.

You're welcome Ryan

For anyone thinking of buying Ipads for field mapping , make sure you get the one with GPS built in , some models dont have it.

which maps did you import / customise ?

I am still learning with it but i download detailed topo or satellite / hybrid images of the areas i want before leaving home where the internet connection is "free"

I use the "record track" function before leaving the car so i dont walk around for a week looking for it later

its easy to add waypoints and details of that waypoint, it will record time travelled, distance, elevation, direction

http://support.motionx.com/tutorials/motionx-gps-tutorials/

loamer said:
Ryan - thanks for the very informative posts. The area as you describe sounds very promising - very geologically old to have weathered so well. I love areas with minimal diggings or diggings that have not been mapped. I usually reach the conclusion that the area was uneconomical to the diggers or and/or too patchy BUT very potentially productive for detecting. The scattering of conglomerate and pink coloured quartz - yum yum!!! I also look out for coloured slates and what I call rotten or mouse eaten quartz, also good signs. Good luck in there mate. Good motto - 'the easy is way is also usually the most detected way'.
I agree with you Loamer,
Few diggings doesn't denote no gold!
I'm going to have a look higher(altitude)in the morning. There is no reef work in this area, not even any test cuts on the down hill side of a couple of outcrops I discovered. Which says to me the area is placer only. It is definitely detector country. However this area needs to be worked slowly and methodically to find the targets. The other reason that the diggings are few is No water within a kilometre. Another reason maybe that 3kms away is a extremely large and rich field, (grass was greener)

Latest posts