Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iv seen and heard that the STD coils ain't much chop many times over so it's no surprise to me someone having trouble with the std coil Iv been using coiltek coils and enjoying, you can order any of the TDI line up with other coils I got my TDI pro with a 14x9 coiltek blitz.

How do you find the 14x9? I rang GSA today and they agreed to swap out the bonus coil to a NF 6x8 Sadie Advantage (I pay the difference). Based on various user reports I think it'll suit my needs quite nicely :D

Nugget' I think the sadie coil is a good choice I really enjoy the using the blitz coil for finding coins haven't had a real go in the field with it on gold yet but very stable and sensitive.

Jim. said:
Hi all,

After being a bit disappointed with the touch sensitivity, the slow swing speed, and the sluggish target response I fitted my Joey 12 X 6 DD and took it out the back for testing. I'm very happy with the outcome there's no annoying noise when I touch the ground or change direction.

The target response is very positive and crisp, even when I double my swing sweep. this means I can cover twice the ground than I could with the standard coil :)

I wonder how a good mono would perform?

Jim & Kerrie

I got my SPP with 7.5" White's mono coil and I did not notice any falsing when changing swing direction. I'm happy to hear that Coiltek double D coil perform well on your detector, because this is next coil I'm going to buy. I somehow developed dislike for mono coil, it is hard to pinpoint target with it.
Karl

Looking at getting an SPP this week if all goes to plan, is there any special offers on them from GoldSearch at the moment & is there a better coil it can be purchased with other than the standard 12" coil it comes with. Can it be swapped for a better coil of the same value.?

If you choose a different coil like a 14x9 coiltek blitz or 12x7 nugget finder you should be able to pay the difference ' I think the STD coil has a value of $250. Lots to chose from!

Yes I believe there is a special deal going on the SPP, just check the website because I think they were out of stock until the end of the month. Give them a call and ask about coil options as they'll be able advise on the best option to suit your specific needs.

Just checked the website and they offering free RPG HEADPHONES. The detector is out of stock until 01/08/14

Hi all,

Karl, the DD sharpened it up no end :)

I cant believe how well this machine GB in the goldfields, I think the only chink in its armor will be basalt :( it gives a different signal over it (a type of an iron grunt) but all other hot ground GB effortlessly.

Does anyone know how the new SDC2300 handles basalt?

Jim & Kerrie

Looking at one of DiggerBob's videos this morning for maybe the 100th time :lol:, you can eliminate responses to Basalt by adjusting the pulse delay slightly (On the TDI models) but the SPP looks to have a fixed pulse delay, so unfortunately no real help there.

Jim. said:
Hi all,

I cant believe how well this machine GB in the goldfields, I think the only chink in its armor will be basalt :( it gives a different signal over it (a type of an iron grunt) but all other hot ground GB effortlessly.

Jim & Kerrie
This might be a "Whites" machine "bug". I had a Whites GMT, which I could manage to settle enough to use in most situations. There was one field I tried covered in large basalt. The iron ore content must be very high as its one place I walked away from with the GMT. Crazy noisy.

I have read a report by Chris Reno in the USA who said that the SDC2300 is handling the basalt well there.

Hi all,

Nugget, that's ok when you hit basalt its a distinct different sound so its just a matter of knowing your detector and practice :)

I'm just wondering how the new SDC2300 handles basalt?

I'm looking forward to getting out again next weekend and giving it another workout

Jim & Kerrie

mbasko said:
Jim. said:
Hi all,

Jim & Kerrie
This might be a "Whites" machine "bug". I had a Whites GMT, which I could manage to settle enough to use in most situations. There was one field I tried covered in large basalt. The iron ore content must be very high as its one place I walked away from with the GMT. Crazy noisy.

I have read a report by Chris Reno in the USA who said that the SDC2300 is handling the basalt well there.

Isn't the GMT a VLF detector? I wouldn't have thought there would be any relation in terms of their capabilities.

To me it sounds like the type of Basalt is probably just outside of the SPP's capabilities, not without dulling it down via gain and threshold anyway. It is a $1200 detector don't forget and Whites do have other detectors made to handle these types of conditions, you just pay more for it.

The SDC2300 is getting some great feedback, I only wish I could afford one :(

Hi all,

Mbasko, I see you're selling your 5000 mate, and getting a 2300

My last post on this thread was written before I read your advise on the SDC and basalt. I hope you're right mate anything that can handle basalt is a game changer, although I'd take a chunk of basalt in and check it out before shelling out $4k on one ;)

Jim & Kerrie

Yeah Nugget - probably just thinking aloud there not trying to compare VLF performance against PI. Basalt can be an unruly customer to deal with.

Jim
Reno Chris on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:22 am

In Alaska USA the place we worked had several different basalts and most of them it ignored, but one particular type it would sound off on pieces about the size of your fist or larger. Luckily there were not many of these

My old SD2200D would also sound off on the fist sized pieces but it was a different tone & easily could tell it was the basalt. The GPX5000 does it occasionally too on the local field here in NSW but, as expected, far better than the VLF's or the SD2200D.
I think it's all relative to iron ore content & regardless of machine you just need to set up/adapt as best you can with whatever you are using. The SDC does sound promising in this area but a GPX or TDI (from reports - never used one) can be adjusted to handle it without too much drama.

Jim. said:
Hi all,

Mbasko, I see you're selling your 5000 mate, and getting a 2300

My last post on this thread was written before I read your advise on the SDC and basalt. I hope you're right mate anything that can handle basalt is a game changer, although I'd take a chunk of basalt in and check it out before shelling out $4k on one ;)

Jim & Kerrie

I'd have to agree jim and I must also add' even if the SDC runs ok with the sensitivity backed off or GB out over basalt, In my eyes that's no better than any other PI detector. From what I'm reading the SDC "GB" in hot ground seems to lower the sensitivity to tiny gold but would make an excellent detector for Tibooburra in areas of low mineralisation and small gold.

TDI pro so far I haven't found anywhere that it cannot be adjusted for smooth operation at high gain, if I buy a SPP I'll skip the warranty and add a conductivity switch' looks like it can be added easy.

Could you post up a link to where you read "the SDC "GB" in hot ground seems to lower the sensitivity to tiny gold" please? Be interested to read it as it goes against everything I am being told like it balances beautifully in hot ground, ignores a majority of hot rocks & is far less prone to EMI issues + is still finding ridiculously small gold in these conditions down to 8-10".

Hmmm.... a pro Whites forum saying it wouldn't detect a 0.15-0.2 gram nugget after being ground balanced on a bucket of volcanic soil, from a non gold bearing area, in a suburban park. They did say that the SPP wouldn't even ground balance though.
I think I'll stick with what I'm being told by people finding actual in situ nuggets in actual gold bearing mineralised ground.
Some of these backyard & air tests make me wonder. The real test is finding the nuggets in situ & the SDC2300 is certainly passing on that front.
At what depth/s do you find sub gram nuggets in mineralised gold bearing ground with the TDI? Do you need to run in low conductivity & possibly be missing larger targets?

Latest posts