Detector gear storage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
My shed has started to resemble a war zone as of late, so I thought it would be a good idea to sort all my detecting equipment out vs just piling everything in the one spot. A lot of the cables and plugs are prone to damage, and can be costly to repair (cheaper to buy another coil in some instances), so storing things properly makes good sense.

I ended up purchasing a couple of these cheap shelving units from Ikea recently, great for storing coils and assorted detecting gear, plus mesh bottoms prevent dust and assorted gunk building up on the shelves (please Ignore the mess in the background). :D

Also it may pay to buy some coil plug caps to protect the pins from damage or dirt ingress. These particular ones are for Garrett detectors (Infinium, at pro/gold), but I believe you can also get them for some Minelab detectors as well, most likely for their PI detectors. Some of my plugs certainly look like they need a bit of a cleanup. :)

1405956969_img_20140722_005509.jpg

1405957010_img_20140722_010522.jpg

Good post -for coil lead end covers I posted something about a year ago - round rubber chair protectors. Buy them in packs (Masters etc) , really cheap and they fit nicely over the end of the coil - also stops the annoying rattling noise.

I have been thinking about shelving for my shed. I have been busy insulating and lining it for months now (Frequent flier points are paying for it) and have thought about building some shelve for my home brew and other stuff I have just stacked up. After thinking about it I may just buy 2 shelving units from Bunnings and suround with chip board and swing a couple of doors off to keep dust out.

Mmmmm man cave :)

At over $6k a pop mine ours live under the bed , each in a padded carry bag, with compartments from leads, batteries etc.
Rubber plug covers at Bunnings or Clark Rubber. 13mm @ about 55 cents each.
Using the molle system you can add pouches, bags, coil covers etc.

1405999233_bag.jpg

I hear you Goldpick. I have gear all over the place in one of the spare rooms.

Just need to finalise what will work for me and sell off what I don't need.

Hi all....I was looking for a locker style cupboard at Bunnings/Masters to keep all my gear in one place.The guy boarding with our next door neighbours works for a company that does shop rip-outs and fit-outs so I asked him to keep an eye out for something. He got me this from a vet surgery rip-out. The top section has 3 detectors, 2 sand scoops, sieve float, harness etc. The bottom section I put in some drawers to hold batteries/chargers, digging tools, finds pouches, cleaning/maintenance gear etc. I'm going to attach some plywood to the sides so that I can fit hooks to hold stuff. It's my "Scan Cave". ;)

1406254709_detector_cupboard.jpg

Is a gun safe the way to go ? If i had a detector worth heaps of $ i would invest in one . After numerous break-ins i have come to realize that no one wants to steal my 705 :(
Have a Surfmaster PI that the pricks do not seem want either. :(
Yet my cross bow went missing :mad:
I guess you would insure your detector included in your house and contents insurance ?