faceting machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have purchased a faceting machine, but i do not know what brand it is, i was told that it was made in the Stanthorpe area, but would like to know more information. I got it cheap, (well i think it was for a faceting machine), but have now been told i should have got it cheaper. Hope someone can help me find more information about it and what would have been a good price to pay for it.
1401583309_20140518_171843.jpg

1401583451_20140518_171913.jpg

1401583451_20140518_171953.jpg

How is it incomplete, i have more pieces for it, but as there are no instructions and i am not able to find it on the web, I am unsure. I was told by a friend that it is a Pavlinovich??? :( brand, not sure of the name, neither is he, but he thinks it is something like that.

That's good if you have more bits and pieces, I just couldn't see the index wheel and angle adjustments mate.did you get the drip tank with it?

i will take more photos later of what i have. i didn't get a drip tank, but i can make one, as i made one for my sanding wheels, so will be able to do for this. there are a lot of brass and steel dop sticks. about 5 laps, some brass.

G'day Daez,

the machine appears to be a "lilypad" design hence no index wheel and angle adjustments. The changes in angle is achieved by raising and lowering the "pad" There are often several different hand pieces with different shapes on them traditionally 4,5,6,8 & 12 sided which are used for the different shapes of the cut stone . These type of machines are often used in commercial cutting in 3rd world countries producing "native cut stones"

- Google Lilypad faceting machines for more info - a modern lilypad machine is the Imahashi faceting machine. There are lots of cutters out there that prefer these types of machines to the post & mast machines.

Looks like you've got yourself a piece of history! :)

Thankyou very much for that information. I will look into it, hopefully i can find some instructions on how to use LOL. the hand piece your talking about, i think is at the bottom lower right hand corner of the first photo. the pad your referring to, i assume is the flat piece that raises up and down. I have used a more recent faceting machine previously (though not for a while) and look forward to getting back into it. i have some lovely labrodite that would be excellent faceted along with a few other types of stones. so once i find out how to use it, it will just be a matter of finding the time, there lies the hard part LOL

i finally took more pictures of it. some close ups i think. anyone with any instructions it would be appreciated, also, on the table, which i understand is to move the adjustment up and down while faceting. but it looks like there should be something else. if you look at the back of the table, where the up and down mast is, there are bolts, it looks like something should fit in there?
1402215124_8-6-4.jpg

1402215140_8-6-5.jpg

1402215156_8-6-3.jpg

1402215206_8-62.jpg

1402215268_1382386_10202326612304906_460355857_n.jpg

Hi daez

Love to have a play around on that.

if you look at the back of the table, where the up and down mast is, there are bolts, it looks like something should fit in there?

I reckon that's the cheater. In other words the 'quill' that holds the dop (which the stone is held) is a hexagon shape that sits on the big plate has fixed angles. But adjusting those screws will change the position/angle of that big support plate. Therefore change the position/angle of the quill/stone relative to the lap.

HTH

ah, very interesting thank you for that information,

i will have to play with it further to see how it adjusts. i have to give all the dops a good clean as they are slightly dirty and some with very fine surface rust. am hanging to play with it, as i have some brilliant labrodite and amethyst that i want to facet. but just want to be sure that i get it figured out how to work first. like i have used new machines, but nothing like this one, so this machine is all a new experience for me.

one of the first things i did figure out was the hexagon plate, and how to change that. motor works perfectly.
it came with about 20 metal / copper dop sticks, even a few sticks of wax. which i have figured lasts quite well, considering i have several sticks of wax that went through 3 metres of flood water and are still ok.
I am beginning to think that i didn't pay such a bad price for it after all.

thank you for that link. i will look for more while i am at it, i keep forgetting about youtube, though my hubby is on it all the time LOL. and now i have youtube video downloader, i can put it on my tablet pc and take downstairs to watch.

ok, i will have to have a look to see what they are asking for it. thanks.

hmm, just had a quick look, only one of can see is in brissy and it is different, its not a lillypad one?

do you have the link please?

Old style faceting machine, I wouldn't have shelled out more than 20 bucks on that kind of equipment myself, moreover with all that rust, but if the platter runs true once you get it clean (if it doesn't you could ask a metalworking shop what they can do), you can definitely use it for cutting simple designs, like the emerald cut, the SRB, square, basic stuff which already makes a pebble look awesome and shiny. You might have lots of maths to do to use it properly but it will be a good starting point and it could actually pay for itself once you have cut stones that you can sell and make money on. I would stay away from Sapphires though! With all the neat garnets and opals down there you would have plenty of choice to cut your teeth on. Anyway that old machine beats a jamb-peg faceted stone (Bangkok), and a free-hands cut (my current equipment, lol).

Latest posts