Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see you got something on your first go Daniel - just be careful, it gets addictive! :)

Chasing sapphires down south looks so different to the way it's done up here in Queensland. You don't generally go digging in creeks, the wash is on dry land.

I will show you mudguts I am not expert just above beginner but happy to help I go often shoot me pm :)

Dan great to hear all went as planned. Yep, its very addictive and the gratification of finding some nice coloured stones is awesome. Well done might see u out there one day!

Was great to meet Terry, Dan and Jayden at the creek! Big thanks to Terry for showing me the ropes and giving me some much needed pointers :) got a few little small blue sapphires, lots of tourmaline and a nice bomb ;) I'll definitely be heading back there in the future!

Didn't end of staying the night, made a trip to Goulburn which I havent seen in a long time. Think I may have found one of those party (rainbow?) sapphires you were mentioning. It looked a clearish light blue in normal daylight but when I hold it to the iPhone light it has quite a few colours coming through as you move it

nice mate they are very nice stones I have one nice one that looks like an opal with all the colours :)

Quickey said:
Didn't end of staying the night, made a trip to Goulburn which I havent seen in a long time. Think I may have found one of those party (rainbow?) sapphires you were mentioning. It looked a clearish light blue in normal daylight but when I hold it to the iPhone light it has quite a few colours coming through as you move it

Was nice to meet you mate, glad to hear you had fun and found some stones. I am sure we will see you again. Daniel

1402563625_img-20140612-wa0003.jpg

Hi All,

This was drawn up by a friendly local last weekend on the way to GG... . hope it helps.

Does anyone know if there is ay accommodation nearby mum doesn't like camping and she says its going to be to cold.

Palmer :p

If your thinking of going GG, Crookwell area Upland pasture motel. about $110 a night or more depending on season :)

Cheers,
''B''

hey guys since I dont have my own stone cutter should I find a company to cut it for me or should I just leave it. Can you guys tell me a company that will cut stones for me.

Palmer9999 said:
Does anyone know if there is ay accommodation nearby mum doesn't like camping and she says its going to be to cold.

There are some motel style rooms attached to the Crookwell Hotel, basic but ok.

I would highly recommend phoning the info centre in town to discuss options. They are very helpful and could put you onto a B+B that may make it a more pleasurable adventure for you mum.

Hi guys,
may be a stupid question but out at GG do i um....... just did a hole near the water or do i physically dig into the creek under the water and use that? or do you go along the bank edges and dig deep?
sorry sorry sorry for the stupid question :8

My experience, although limited, I have nearly always worked the middle of a very shallow creek I.e. Less than the height of my full waders, let's say 4feet. I use a pelican pick and put the gravels etc straight into a brickies sieve. When loaded I wash it with the normal up down turn to the right etc and turn it up on a hessian bag after entering the heavies and bingo pick out the sapphires. Simple really only wish I could find a place that had sapphires in abundance,ah well dream on Mackka.
Good luck Spud