Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a public fossicking area at the bridge. If you want to go up or down the creek you should talk to the property owner

Cheers

Col

Fingers crossed I will be going out this saturday and meeting up with a fellow board member.
I am a complete ROOKIE and will be with my son.
If your down there say hi my name is Dan and my sons name is Jayden.

Dan

You should find some sapphires, it is more the quality.... that's more about a bit of luck and persistence.

Everyone is a rookie at some point and doesn't take long to get into the groove. No need to head far from the bridge to find something just pick a spot and wash some rocks! Pick a boulder and get in under it and scoop out some dirt. A few test sieves....if nothing...move a few metres and do it again.

Even just a pair of gloves.....you can scratch around and find gem stones, obviously if you find a nice little run of spinel....likely a gem stone will be around that area. Good luck. Take some pics and post the adventure here when u get back.

No harm in chatting with the land owner and asking for permission to get to some other spots but not necessary if you stick to the bridge area and walk a little upstream.

Twapster said:
You should find some sapphires, it is more the quality.... that's more about a bit of luck and persistence.

Everyone is a rookie at some point and doesn't take long to get into the groove. No need to head far from the bridge to find something just pick a spot and wash some rocks! Pick a boulder and get in under it and scoop out some dirt. A few test sieves....if nothing...move a few metres and do it again.

Even just a pair of gloves.....you can scratch around and find gem stones, obviously if you find a nice little run of spinel....likely a gem stone will be around that area. Good luck. Take some pics and post the adventure here when u get back.

No harm in chatting with the land owner and asking for permission to get to some other spots but not necessary if you stick to the bridge area and walk a little upstream.

Thanks for the advice I have been watching all the you tube videos from liz and wal and reasearching indicators and things to look for. I will take pics and put together a story I think so I can look back on it.

See you guys on the other side.
Dan

Thank you Twapster ill make sure to use a torch for the dark ones, also do you get zircons and spinels at GG as well as sapphires if so can you please tell me how to identify a zircon and spinels(justtrying to get fully prepared)

Palmer :p

Anything from graben gullen and north is good picking, just put some sweat into it and shift some boulders if you want anything upto 9 crts, otherwise head to the plains

DanielGOLD said:
Twapster said:

Thanks for the advice I have been watching all the you tube videos from liz and wal and reasearching indicators and things to look for. I will take pics and put together a story I think so I can look back on it.

See you guys on the other side.
Dan

Awesome its great to see pics on the forum, adds a great dimension to stories told here. We all love them! Who knows you may be posting a pic of a massive sapphire that you find under the third rock up from the one I was digging last time. lol

Also the people you meet at GG are almost always so friendly and you end up doing a "show and tell" showing what u found and what they found....most people are there for gems so a common interest......really makes for a fun trip.

Dont be alarmed by the leaches if they are around, I wear gloves as they just dart out of nowhere and try to hang on to your sieves and hands. At first they are shocking but they do you no harm so dont freak out like my mum did! They are just hungry.

Hi guys, Well went out for my first ever fossicking trip today to GG and both myself and my son had a heap of fun.
A BIG thankyou must go out to Terry for showing me the ropes and helping me to understand the ins and outs of a sieve.
So we arrived at 9.30am bright eyed and bushy tailed after a scenic drive across from Canberra.
1402146159_gg1.jpg

After only 10-15 mins of Terry showing us what to dig and what to look for I had filled up my first bucket of concentrate.
Terry gave me the crash course on how to work the sieve and I went in for a go myself.
shake, shake, shake, turn, shake, shake, shake, turn. I was ready to turn over my first sieve.

1402146159_gg2.jpg

I was never expecting anything for the day and as I looked in among the spinal I caught a glimpse of shimmering BLUE....BAM!!!
1st sieve on my first trip I had pulled out a sapphire. To tell you that I was wrapped would be an understatement.
The next couple of sieves also yielded a blue/red sapphire, green sapphire and some tourmaline.
I will get up some photos of the stones when I can get some good photos of them.
They where all small, but I was stoked to get anything.

1402146159_gg3.jpg

This is my 7 year old son enjoying lunch on the rock in the middle of the river that he chose as our sitting table.
At lunch we sat there and listened to the water run past, threw rocks in the river and enjoyed the peaceful surroundings.
He had a great day and the smile on his face picking up rocks and yelling at me from down stream to come and take a look was priceless.
To say I am hooked would be an understatement.
I would dare say I missed as many stones as I found in my tailing pile would be a fair call.
So the next lot of people thru there will be laughing :lol:
I can't wait to go back for one more trip before the winter weather moves in, but only time will tell.

Thank you to everyone for the support and I love checking the forum every night.
All of you guys finding nice stones drives me to keep going.
Have a great night
Dan

it was a great day sunny all day no clouds in the sky water is getting a bit cold but I cant stay away thanks for a great day mate see you soon for more fun :)

Hey guys can anyone find the you tube vid that Liz done on sieving be blowed if I can
I would love to view it to see what I am doing wrong lol
Cheers :D

Yes I would not have had a clue. 5 minutes with terry at the river watching and I had a fair idea and got some results.
Find someone to go to the river that has experience and is willing to lend a hand.
Dan

Latest posts