Fossicking & Prospecting Regulations - A.C.T

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been struggling to find info about metal detecting regulations in the ACT, does anyone know where I can find this info?

Cheers

I would be interest to know too Sarn.
I have only been turned away from one public place before and the guy couldn't give me a reason why I wasn't allowed there, so I'm assuming he didn't want me digging up the nice grass... I am careful and always fill in my holes!

SF

Sarn said:
Hi guys, I have been struggling to find info about metal detecting regulations in the ACT, does anyone know where I can find this info?

Cheers

Hi Sarn,

I just contacted ACT Policing today and was told that (aside for having to hand in modern money and asking permission for private property) there are no restrictions on the use of metal detectors in the ACT.

I intend on printing out the response from ACT Policing and having it on me incase I am ever questioned.

Hi all,

In the event there are others from the ACT, below is the response I received from Environment:

There is currently no specific ACT Government legislation to govern prospecting and fossicking activities in the ACT. Mining activities on Territory land are regulated through the Planning and Development Act 2007 and the Territory Plan. In addition, the Nature Conservation Act 2013 prohibits the damage, destruction or removal of materials, including clay, gravel, rock, sand, soil or stone, from reserved areas, such as national parks and nature reserves, which would preclude fossicking and prospecting activities in these locations.

Please note that the ACT includes national land (such as within the Parliamentary Triangle) and activities permitted on that land are determined by Commonwealth legislation and supporting documents.

Yeah. Any place that would likely have anything is either in a national park or nature reserve.

Doesn't leave many spots!

It is pretty dismal. If there was a decent resource it would be worth pushing to get a policy going. But with so many reserves there are just too many restricted areas.

"Canberra" is really "Not-berra" in this sense!

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Yes. Cotter is off limits, all in National Park etc.

There are very few spots on our major rivers where fossicking is permitted.

I have only found minute specks of gold 8n two of these places. Nothing worth going back for.

Latest posts