Prototype sluice build

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stupaul

Stuart Cooke
Reaction score
Decided to have a go at building my own sluice, but didn't want to dive straight in and build it out of ali. So decided to do a prototype out of timber I had laying around and build it to the same dimensions of the finished product. This way I can try out different configurations before I commit to final design.
1401609440_timber.jpg

Timber - Cedar offcuts from my parents house.
1401609572_parts.jpg

Aluminuim strips and blue mat from bunnings
1401609670_sluice.jpg

Not quite finished yet, still needs riffles above blue mat and something to hold mat firm. Want to get it finished before this next weekend as I intend to head up to Nundle for a couple of days. Got my mackirk sluice to do a comparison test. :cool:

Looks good, you will need a slicker plate at the entrance, I would suggest taking some of the black rubber matting off so the water has time to liquify the gravels that are going in, or get a piece of board and cut so you have 25 - 30 cm of clear area before the rubber mat for the liquification process.

Cheers, Tone

Thanks BB

Thanks for the tip Tone, that's why I have done it this way instead of just making it out of ali straight off. So I can have a play around of different configurations. Eventually I want to have it so I can just have riffles and black ribmat for very low flow and be able to change it for higher flow by putting in the blue mat.

The change over should only take 5 mins or so. Just got to work out how to secure blue mat with ali riffle strips , then just reposition them as riffles in place of blue mat.

no work today, so will work on it today, hopefully finish it so I will post pics.

Thanks Cliff and dwt, The best thing about doing it this way is the internal dimensions are the same as finished product, so everything I make for it ( ie riffles ) will fit in it.

Stu

Latest posts