Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the majority of green stone i have found at gg are tourmaline and are small, under 3 crts, anything larger would be green sapphire wich I have only found over 3 crt at wee jasper

G'day Gemmtec ;) and welcome to the forum mate,

There is a map on here somewhere, I will try and dig it out for you if someone else doesn't find it first, if I can't find it I'll put up some written directions

Cheers

C&L

Directions :D

Driving directions to Sapphire Rd/Wheeo Rd from Sutton

1. Head north on Bywong St towards Victoria St 58 m
2. Take the 1st left onto Victoria St 110 m
3. Continue onto Camp St 400 m
4. Turn left onto Sutton Rd 15.4 km
5. Continue onto Cork St 1.6 km
6. Continue onto Gundaroo Rd 28.0 km
7. Turn right onto Old Hume Hwy 2.9 km
8. Turn left onto Gunning Rd 7.8 km
9. Turn left onto Sapphire Rd/Wheeo Rd 20.1 km

You'll come to a pretty big bridge the Public fossicking area is right near the bridge

Cheers

C&L

Thanks C&L - it was good to speak with you the other day and for the photos you sent through. Hope to see you up there sometime soon.

Thank you so much C&L I would never of found it if you didnt show the directions (also does the first step count if your from Sydney

Palmer :p

I'd come straight down the Hume into Gunning go through Gunning, Left onto Grabben Gullen Rd then Left onto Sapphire Rd

Looks like the easiest way to me from Sydney. Someone on the Forum may know a better way from the big smoke ;)

Colin&Lee said:
I'd come straight down the Hume into Gunning go through Gunning, Left onto Grabben Gullen Rd then Left onto Sapphire Rd

Looks like the easiest way to me from Sydney. Someone on the Forum may know a better way from the big smoke ;)

That's the best way for sure.

where would you suggest camping at grabben gullen creek where there are good sapphires?

The only place to camp is at the bridge, rest is private property.

1401350548_greensaph1b.jpg

1401350576_mumgg.jpg

1401350613_greensaph1a.jpg

1401350648_greensaph1e.jpg

1401350676_greensaph1c.jpg

best place to camp is down by the river just close the gate behind you up near the bridge is a bit loud no toilets byo every thing nice stone mate looks like the wal banker is working well :)

Tks richo, the legs on the beast are sensational! I love my Walbanker.....the classifier is the right height so I dont have to bend down. Obviously shes not as portable but performs well.

As you cross the bridge the first property on the left drop in there and speak to the owner I'm pretty sure he has areas you can camp next to the creek on his property, you will probably see the owner riding up and down the road on his quad with a bunch of dogs running besides him

Ok thank you all, also one more question for the trip should we use a hi banker or just sieves (which one gets the most stones) also this may seem stuip but do any of you guys know a video of how to identify sapphires properly because im a rookie.

Id suggest Sieves only.....you can sample way more spots and potentially get more stones. I only used the highbanker when I found a spot that scored me the 7carat stone above. Didnt get any more cutters using the banker from that spot.

If you learn how to sieve properly....liz has a good video.....if you get a nice up and down motion in the water so the heavy stones settle on the bottom, then use the centering teqhnique.....all your heavies will be right "spinel ring" on the top when you turn the sieve over.

Only takes a few sieves to start getting it right. Practice!

Let me tell you,any worthy stones will stick out like dogs balls. You may miss a few small ones here or there, but the cutters will surely shine. A bit of sun, and wet stones, the coloured ones will be "aha...found one", its not that hard. As long as your eyesight isnt shot of-course! While i've found a few small sapphires in other peoples tailings, dont be too worried.

The only advice is....check the black stones carefully as they may be dark blue or green! They are the tricky ones in my opinion.

I use my Iphone torch for those ones.

1401705322_1394494395_bluusaph1a.jpg

1401705348_1394494412_bluusaph1b.jpg

1401705370_1394494471_bluusaph1d.jpg