Electrolysis Cleaning of Coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Electrolysis is the chemical decomposition of suitable materials by direct electric current. This method of cleaning can be very effective on coins that do not respond to other cleaning methods. An example would be silver coins oxidized from long-term submersion in water. Copper and nickel coins can be cleaned using electrolysis also, but their patinas will be removed. You can make a simple electrolysis cleaner with a few household items and inexpensive parts:

1) an AC/DC converter or an adapter from any old household device such as a transistor radio or a telephone base capable of 400-700mA (milliamp ere) output
2) two "alligator" clips of the solder less type with the screw clamp for the wire (they can be purchased from your local electronics or hardware store)
3) a medium size glass or porcelain container
4) a stainless steel spoon or fork to be used as an electrode
5) common table salt solution as an electrolyte.

Attach one clip to each of the two wires from the converter. If you know which wire is the positive lead, mark it as such. If the alligator clips came with colored rubber boots, slide the red one over the positive (+) wire/clip assembly. Partly submerge the spoon upright in the glass container and clamp it to one side of the container using the positive (+) (anode) alligator clip. Place the edge of the coin to be cleaned in the jaws of the negative (-) (cathode) alligator clip. NOTE: Be aware that the alligator clip may put marks into the coin's surface. A good metal to metal contact is required for the process to work properly. Submerge the coin in the saltwater solution (electrolyte) to the tip of the alligator clip. DO NOT TOUCH THE SPOON WITH THE COIN! Plug the converter into a AC wall outlet, the solution around the coin will start to bubble. Dirt and oxidation will immediately leave the coin and darken the electrolyte solution. If this reaction does not take place, it is probably because you were unsure of the output wire polarity or your converter is simply not functioning. Swap clips on the spoon and coin and try again. NEVER TOUCH THE CLIPS TOGETHER, ALWAYS UNPLUG THE CONVERTER FROM THE WALL OUTLET FIRST!

NOTE: Do not use a high electric current, which will peel metal off the coin.
NOTE: Do not use the same bath for silver, copper and nickel coins.

If you do not want to destroy the coin, you need to watch the effects of electrolysis on the coin's surface, and regulate the time the coin is in the electrolyte solution. If left in too long, the surface of the coin will start to get pitted, and the coin will start to deteriorate.

Pete I have made & tried this on modern coins & copper coins (Pennies}& was not happy with results. Yes it did clean but found it also caused damage to coins & I don't recomend this treatment. However I have not tried on Silver coins such as florin, shilling, sixpence, threepence.

And That is why is says at the end,, "If left in too long, the surface of the coin will start to get pitted, and the coin will start to deteriorate". Also it is a advisable to wash the coins in Bi-Carb afterwoods, I tried this method on Cooper coins using only one teaspoon of Bi-Carb diluted in a litre of water, worked a treat as well as on the silvers, but on the silver coins I used a salt solution and rubbed the coins down with Bi-Carb after electrolysis.

Each to there own Pete I didn't like the electrolesis methed found it to difficult to distinguise between cleaning & corroding. Yes you can see it is cleaning but my thoughts were it was corroding them from beginning also.
My opinion is tumbler for cleaning modern coins & at present warm soapy water for copper or anything else.

Ok so I took advice on buying MS70 to clean my coins and jewelry.. But following the instructions on the bottle - saying just apply to coin leave few seconds then wash off.. Hmmm well this Defo doesn't work.. Has anyone used this and can advise of a more effective better way to clean the contaminations off coins and jewellery? :D

well i have made my own electrolysis setup with an old phone charger and just use salt in normal water with steel on the red wire and the coin on the black wire. after about 30 minutes to 1 hour im able to get the tarnish off with rubbing bicarb with my fingers and they come up sweet. and if its really crusty i just leave it in there longer

Hmmm sounds like I'd probably do something wrong and turn it into a home made bomb and blow my hands off lol
Can you post some pictures of your set up so I can see how it's done?

Silver coins wrap loosely in aluminium foil and drop into boiling water for 10 minutes then rub with bi carb
Or silver coins in CLR for half an hour and then rub with bi carb
Copper coins in olive oil but this takes a long time and electrolysis may be better

Warning if it is a key date coin take it to a professional as cleaning them can devalue a coin up to 90 per cent depending on how you clean it

Sa_bogan said:
this is were i got the idea from
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...lysis-build-your-own-how-use-what-expect.html

if you look it up on youtube there are videos on how you can make one, thats were i got the idea and know how to make my own. sorry but i finished late last night and started work early this morning

yeh thanks mate, I watched it and understand now how it works now .. should be a easy build, il buy some crimps and make one and see how it goes..thanks for the help

Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.

Ben78 said:
Best to not clean coins. Vinegar, Coke, Sauce and Electrolysis are all methods that damage coins.

As a coin collector I agree, to an extent. The aim is to clear off all non-coin surface material and all those methods etch into the coin surface. But clearly you need to be able to do some form of basic cleaning to be able to identify and classify the coin correctly.

Another BUT, if you aren't a serious collector, then use whatever method that you are happy with and that is safe to use.

Rob.

PabloP said:
Ben78 said:

As a coin collector I agree, to an extent. The aim is to clear off all non-coin surface material and all those methods etch into the coin surface. But clearly you need to be able to do some form of basic cleaning to be able to identify and classify the coin correctly.

Another BUT, if you aren't a serious collector, then use whatever method that you are happy with and that is safe to use.

Rob.

I agree, most coins that come out of the ground aren't in a state that is worth anything to a collector, and there are plenty of coins being sold on the market that are in excellent circulated or uncirculated condition. I am happy to clean most of my coins purely as keepsakes from my detecting adventures. Probably the only coins that I don't touch are older bronze coins in excellent condition with a nice patina, or some of the early silvers that come out of the ground in nearly the same state as when they were dropped. :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Always appreciate your experience being openly shared with us newbys

Latest posts