Goldseekers 15000 metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollyone

Greg Pref Rolly
Reaction score
Hi ya,
Can old detectors be upgraded? I've had my Goldseeker 15000 since 1985. Found my first nugget with it and now does beach work still with the original coil. It holds a sentimental value, upgrade or new one? Thanks.

Wow, a quick look online shows this detector to be Minelab's very first :). What sort of price were they talking back then?

I'd say it might be time to hang it up on the wall and buy a new one, I wouldn't think there would be many upgrade options available for such an old machine, I could be wrong though.

BTW, welcome to the forum Rollyone.

Thanks Nugget, yes I think its time for a new detector. The coil is showing its age but still performs well (thank god for duck tape), the only change I've done was to remove the 8 AA's and now have a carry pack 12v,its ok at least I can recharge, it use to cost a fare bit replacing the 1.5's. Is there is any other 15000 swingers out there? Once again thanks for the welcome.

Sounds like the same one I had many years ago, came with a rectangular tin box & a plastic lower stick that breaks real easy. Cost me $1100.00 & it was the top of the range.
Bill

Well I was amazed that when visiting one of my brothers he mentioned that he had one of my old detectors gathering dust in the shed...must be 20 years it has been hidden away in there!

It is a minelab Goldseekers 15000 and was old when I got it originally...after a clean up, some tape on the coil edges that are cracking, new batteries and a pair of headphones I went to a park to see if it still worked and pulled up plenty of coins and pull tabs - How to use it came back to me quickly and bought back many memories.

With a new coil it would still find gold I reckon (Had found a 15 gram nugget with this in WA) but the original coil would not take more than a bump or two on some rocks and would probably fall apart. Might see if any after market coils will work on it when I get the chance - or if anyone can advise?

Cheers, Mark

Hi all does anyone know anything about the Minelab Goldseerkers 15000 H/M metal detectors. I have one and was wanting to know how good they were or are? Thanks.

Just yesterday I read an article in Gold Gem and Treasure magazine. December 1990 edition of an outing with a Goldseeker 15000 to Tibbaburra.
He picked up just over 3 ounces with one.
Some very small pieces smaller than a match head and others up to 10 grams.
Also said the Garret Deepseeker was that noisy in the Mineralization his wife could not wear heaphones, but the 15000 was as quiet as a mouse.

It is a hip mounted detector. I've found a dollar coin on the beach about 3 inch in sand and a sinker lots of bullets and cans. No gold yet. The hip mount is annoying. It's not to noisy.

One on Gumtree sold for $135? Not sure I'd be looking at a 30 year old VLF unless out of interest or as a collector although could be interesting to give a run. Lots of gold found with them back in the day I believe?

There's one on gumtree for $400, but have seen them go for as low as $50. As Mbasko mentioned, only a collector might pay that much, there are more competent detectors around for that sort of $$$ - ft16000 & xt17000 come to mind. If it is cheap enough, might be worth holding onto for selling on to a collector in the future.

Go to Aldi........
The technology is slightly newer...
Good in their day tho......

Hi everyone
I was wondering if anyone has any circuit diagrams for the gold seeker 15000 detector. I bought a second hand one and it's not powering up. Doesn't't smell or look burn't anywhere so I'm hoping it's something simple.
Let me know if you can help.
Thanks
Firey10_0

Hi everyone
Turns out upon further investigation, the detector does work, it only works with the earphones in. External speaker is faulty. Is it likely the speaker itself is faulty or could it be something else. Let me know your thoughts.thanks
Firey10_0