Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjilm

Phil hughes
Reaction score
Does anybody know if this quartz crystal has travelled very far from its origin,as its very clear not many scratches nice clean edges??
1400062732_image.jpg

Hey Bigjilm,

Nice clean crystal mate, looks like it hasn't traveled far at all. If you know where it came from go back you should find a swag of the things together ;) well you do down this way ;)

Cheers

Col

I found it at in the gold fossiking areas in mount crawford Adelaide:)can't wait to get back there and dig a hole;)

SA regs are pretty vague, so long as you backfill your holes, do not destroy vegetation, and leave the area as you found it, you should be fine. Remember, it is only fossicking, so no need to to dig the hell out of an area taking more than your fair share, the authorities may deem that as procuring minerals per fininacial gain, which is not permitted. There are a few mineral localities around the Mount Crawford area, but unfortunately many have been obliterated by people who can't help themselves, and try to take the whole lot - one Beryl locality comes to mind.
Also remember it is an offence to fossick without a paid permit from the forestry headquarters, if not attended, enveloped are provided for the money, and permit sheets/pens are on hand.

Sailors Gully still comes up with some good Schorl Tourmaline crystals, about 3/4 the way up the gully on the left side, last time I was up there I grabbed a couple. You do find random good quality quartz crystal around the place, even quartz with rutile crystals in them have been found in the area. The crystal you found could have shed off from anywhere, but probably not too far from where you found it judging by how fresh it looks. Some of shafts in the area may have also intersected some vughs that contained good crystals, so they may shed from some of the workings. :)

If you don't already have the map of the mineral localities, here is a google link to the map pdf at the top of the search page:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...tIH4Dw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1280&bih=800&dpr=1

I always pay at crawford the rangers there are quite friendly and sometimes follow me into the forests and open up gates for me:)never been to sailors gully but might give it a go on Sunday:)

Latest posts