How often do you see Rangers or Police while Prospecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not seen a ranger or a police officer, have only heard of the mines inspectors paying visits, I do prospect pretty remote areas, lucky to see anyone, might hear a vehicle on a quite day.

Cheers, Tone

Hurg said:
They took his car too? That seems pretty messed up. I can understand taking the prospecting equipment if they're doing the wrong thing, but people rely on their cars to do things like get to work, take their kids to school, etc. So if the guy loses his job because they took his car who ends up paying more?

If the penalties are just a slap on the wrist, who would really care about following the rules? The car confiscation is in line with penalties for fishing in restricted areas so I personally have no issue with that...I am more than happy to follow the rules and not spoil things for everybody else by causing the authorities to ban the past-time altogether because too many people flout the largely unenforced rules.

I started Metal Detecting back in1978-9 in West Aust. I have had a policy since then until now that goes like this. I go anywhere I want to go, full stop.
If I see a No Entry sign, or similar unfriendly message I go somewhere else.
If I see some company vehicles, or Goeologists or other people I keep driving till I have the ground to myself and the I go to town.
I say BUGGER them the country belongs to all of us.
This policy has given me about 80 ounces over 9 years in Cue, plus some more. I sold most of it on the American E-Bay and have had a good trip, YEHArrrrr.
I am 74 and living in a cave, come and get me.

Hi all,

Only time I've seen a Ranger while prospecting was in 2009 while down on the Buckland River in Vic. He came down for a chat and checked all our Miners Rights were in order, made sure we weren't using dredges etc. The funny thing was that we had the crevice pumps and hoses laying out (not assembled fully). He asked what they were and we explained what they were used for and he just said that's a novel idea and left us to it.

Never really seen a Ranger while prospecting since. We've spoken to a few regarding different areas of access for prospecting throughout N.S.W. The ones we've met so far have been pretty friendly and decent blokes.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Was having a read of the relevant rule books today (for Vic ) and the way I read it a Parks ranger doesn't even have the authority to ask to see your miners right as he does not work for the mines department.
Easiest just to show them, but an interesting technicality.

DD

Great post !
Here is my thoughts... The rules and regs are there to encourage you to do the right thing. If you find them confusing so do the people who are ment to be enforcing them.
As for those who are blocking access to fire trails... This is the most selfish f*** wit act and certainly a gross misuse of tax payers money I have heard of on this forum. Our tax paying dollars put those tracks there for every Australian to use and enjoy, also for the rural fire brigades to gain access to fight wild fires. Ask anyone who was affected by the Black Saturday fires whether we should deny access to fire trails before a log is dragged across the trail... Your answer will be short and blunt.
I know of a guy who carries bolt cutters and a chainsaw with him every time he goes off the beaten track, just in case he needs to get access to areas that may save his life or to remove unauthorised obstacles that may deprive his rights on Crown Land.
As for putting trail cameras in hidden locations to used as law enforcement ! This is another miss use of tax payers money. Once the bush community is aware of the camera and it's location, I am sure it will be a case of finders keepers.
My advise is to self police and report any miss use of the bush. Make sure you get it on camera!
As for be asked if I have a miners right? The answer is never!
I really don't think they care too much. The real reason for the confusing rules and regs is to slowly erode your rights. So that some day you will have to pay for the right to gain access to your own country.
The PMAV made a mistake in giving Victoria's current liberal govt their vote.
What we need to do is unite with all bush user groups eg: fishing, hunting, 4x4 clubs, mountain cattlemen, prospecting, trail bike organisation's, etc... Only then will the voice and the vote be loud enough to stop legislation from slowly locking the gate.

Diggerdude said:
Was having a read of the relevant rule books today (for Vic ) and the way I read it a Parks ranger doesn't even have the authority to ask to see your miners right as he does not work for the mines department.
Easiest just to show them, but an interesting technicality.

DD

Cheers DD!

That is interesting. I'll have to remember that for next time we're in Vic. should the topic ever arise.

Hope all is going well.
Shauno.

I gotta say I was in Vic some time ago, and never saw a cop or a ranger anywhere we went. Places included Creswick, Ballarat, Dunolly, Ararat, Maryborough, and as I say not once did I see a ranger. Mind, at one stage, in the forest out of Ballarat a ranger or copper could have come in handy. 2 young guys having the time of their lives on motocross bikes came screaming through the forest and it set me thinking, if either had lost it as they screamed through the bush, and ended up down one of those big holes you and I know exist, I reckon the availability of the forests will stop immediately. Wont have to worry about greenies then, the bikers will have stopped our pastime in forests. How do we stop that........How do we protect our pastime? I don't know. Any ideas?

Never seen any and I've been going out prospecting everywhere in QLD and NSW for about 4 years now, most I've ever run into is a few farmers and other prospectors who where friendly enough

Latest posts