where can i get a sapphire valued?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey everyone
my dads sending me up a sapphire in the next few days and its stats are

Shape: Mixed Cut Rectangular Cushion
Carats: 5.65 Carats
Size: 11mm(L) x 9mm(W) x 5mm(D-actual) x 10%(Bulge)
Colour: Dark Blue, With very Slight Violetish Tinge Within The Blue
Source: Australia

i was woundering where is the best place to get it valued and or sell it (without getting ripped off)
and any estimates what it could be worth
i live on the sunshine coast

1398323054_14007-2.jpg

ill upload photo in a day or two if that helps. hoping for enough $$$ to buy a metal detector lol :)

Hey Leat,

I guess many gems are worth what others will pay, I think if the stone looks pretty on the eye and can be set in a nice piece of jewellery then you should get some decent coin for it. Having had a look at sapphire prices recently......I would think a low ball would be $100 per carat, more likely $200..ish per carat....then it comes down to colour/quality etc that could take it to $500+ per carat. For comparative estimate my stone that was cut by Langford and can be seen in the Gem Show and Tell section and the cutter made the following assessment "1.93ct was the finishing weight. It has a deep fine blue colour and Id estimate the stone to be about $275 per carat wholesale"

At least this may give you something to start with so hope this helps. Would be good to see the pics. I believe having a "story" about the gem does help, as there are so many fakes out there on Ebay etc that knowing where it was mined and any other info would help relieve any buyer anxiety. Obviously there will be guys/gals on this forum that can give you a clearer idea after seeing the gem.

thank you for replying, just waiting for my dad to bring it up when he heads down this way next
so ill upload a photo when i can.

where is the easiest place to sell stones?

Looks like a pretty stone. At that size I believe it would be worth getting an expert give you a valuation. You wouldn't want to sell it for $500 and find out it was worth $10k+

I don't know where or how much valuations cost, so hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction. Obviously you will find out if it is a Natural Sapphire, plenty of stones out there that are not, but look the same!

haha yeah so hard to tell anything unless your an expert . i just get worried about being ripped off.

would you trust a jewlers valuation if they offer to buy it off you?

Look up a Gemologist close to you for valuation. Get a couple/few valuations to make sure your getting the best price.
E.g. try places like:
Karma Gems Valuations and Jewellery, Maroochydore, Mobile:0413 598 523
Suncoast Gem & Fossicking Club Inc.,Maroochydore, Phone:07 5444 2702
http://www.underwoodjewellers.com.au/about_us.asp

cheers mbasko, those stores are only about ten minutes for me so i will definetly get it checked out next time i can, ill post my findings on here:)

I'm off work until next week atleast so can drop it off for
You if need be bro, just give me a call.

Leat said:
haha yeah so hard to tell anything unless your an expert . i just get worried about being ripped off.

would you trust a jewlers valuation if they offer to buy it off you?

I guess at some point you have to trust someones opinion. Doing your own research on similar size pieces will help...but with gems there is such a discrepancy in prices for similar looking stones that only a pro can say..hey thats more special than most or if its a common / average piece even if to our eye it looks like the crown jewels!

yeah your right hunter,
thank you everyone for being so helpful, and thanks sam
ill prob give u a call bout a night dig this week

Qualified gemologist or jeweler is the only place to get it certified. They'll test it on the 4 "C's" and cut is of the utmost importance with a high value stone. If the facets don't line up 100% to the points and the refractive angles are not within tolerance the value can be less than half of a similar looking stone.

That's why you never send a good stone to paces like Bangkok to have them cut.

Wal.

got the sapphire today!!!! :D

it has come with a valuation certificate from earlier this year saying $5600 insurance value , but the certificate is looking a little worse for wear so i am

going to go get another one done. if the new certificates value is around the same price then

thinking of putting up for sale at about $2400 ONO in a private sale, and if i cant get that then ill try at the gem show when it goes to redcliffe next month

Does that seem like a reasonable price??