my new wal banker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

terry
Reaction score
1398039083_img_1618.jpg

thanks wal /liz this is my build of your walbanker ready for a test run I had a great time in the shed building it

Great looking build there Terry. Is there any chance on showing a pic of the catch section under the classifier screen.

Cheers Wal.

hi wal thanks mate I will post a pic iam waiting for a mate to bring the cat walk mesh up here may be today or tomorrow its built to your spec I hope 450mm in the catch section,then maybe 70mm then the mesh section at 170 mm do I need that 70 mm extra or extend the mesh
cheers wal

Terry said:
hi wal thanks mate I will post a pic iam waiting for a mate to bring the cat walk mesh up here may be today or tomorrow its built to your spec I hope 450mm in the catch section,then maybe 70mm then the mesh section at 170 mm do I need that 70 mm extra or extend the mesh
cheers wal

The Boiler section above the crate is the critical section as this is where 95% of the gold will catch. 500mm is the minimum slick plate i would recommend, and the Crate section is where i would shorten if you don't have the 500mm. Many areas I run 2/3rd mesh and 1/3rd crate. Depends on how much flour gold is in your area.

Cheers Wal.

Wal, I have found that the gold we catch in your Walbanker is more like 99% caught in the top section of catwalk immediately after 500mm of slick plate. I have found cleaning out the bread crate section there would be lucky to have 3 specks and I have only ever found 1 flake in the tip of the Walbanker on 2 occasions after about 30 clean outs. The slick plate and catwalk section is super efficient at trapping the gold.

With that in mind I am going to trial the Walbanker with only catwalk in it. I have 3 pieces which will be configured 500mm slick plate, 200mm catwalk, 150mm slick 300mm catwalk, slick plate then a final catwalk section at the exit end.

I have been impressed with the cat walks ability to trap and keep the gold in place. This brain snap is to expedite the clean up process. Simply lift out 3 pieces of catwalk and flush contents into the bucket.

Is there any obvious flaws in my logic?

I guess to answer my own question it probably depends how fine the gold is in the area being worked?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am supporting the 500mm slick plate for total efficiency.

That will work perfectly well, but you will need a section of around 300mm of the woven mat at the end section of the banker to stop any gold sliding along the bare aluminium and out the end. What you have described is what i use for sapphire rich areas.

I would certainly recommend using a 300mm section of mat at the end, and by doing this you can eliminate the crate section and still get 99.9% recovery.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Terry said:
cheers wal

The Boiler section above the crate is the critical section as this is where 95% of the gold will catch. 500mm is the minimum slick plate i would recommend, and the Crate section is where i would shorten if you don't have the 500mm. Many areas I run 2/3rd mesh and 1/3rd crate. Depends on how much flour gold is in your area.

Cheers Wal.

wal sorry to bother you its not late to change things do I need to extend the slick plate more then the 520mm I have and add more cat walk to that section is there a minimum length for the mesh what would you recommend not shore about gold size I have some private land I can go to for its first run at windeyer and then tuena

If the slick plate is over 500mm long it will do its job. General rule is divide the length of the sluice int 3. 1st 1/3rd being the slick section, second 1/3rd being the boiler section which will catch nearly all the gold, and last 1/3rd crate section for the super fine flour regions.

If you want to deviate from this formula then its best to lengthen the slick section and shorten the crate section.

Tuena is one of the richest regions I know for ironstone on the East side of OZ and I normally use a sloped expanded for this region. If you use the catwalk here then i would certainly recommend an extension of the slick section to around 600mm. Whatever you change do not put any mat of any sort under the expanded section between the crate and the slick plate.

Cheers Wal

True about the iron stone. Very thick, especially when cleaning out the Walbanker. Also when panning the concentrate the gold seems to hang up high in the final show of gold. Pan then re-pan and then re-pan, its amazing just how much you can miss first time around. The gold is difficult to get to the dead bottom of the pan.

When I classified for test panning I just centred the heavies and flipped the sieve to see a nice centred collection of ironstone.

Where there's ironstone at Tuena there is sure to be gold!

Thanks for the info Wal.

thanks wal a bit slow gathering the head space sometimes I wonder if you can tell me were I mite get that slope mesh from Ulrich said they don't have it I have been all over the central coast not much luck thanks for your time
cheers wal

Send me a PM terry and I'll see what i can do. You will find it almost impossible to get in small pieces anywhere in the country.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts