Tesoro Vaquero v Minelab x-terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently own a Minelab x-terra 705 and have been doing a lot of park hunting.

With the 705 the signal for a gold coin comes up as the same or similar as a screw cap, although i've generally been able to tell the difference by the higher pitch with the pinpoint tone.

After doing a bit of reading I've found that the Vaquero and other Tesoro detectors have a great reputation for being a park machine with fantastic and fast discrimination.

What i haven't been able to tell is whether they can discriminate out the screw cap and leave the gold coins?

If anyone could help out with this question it'd be greatly appreciated.

Ben

I'm pretty sure when I owned a Vaquero, the discrimination nearly needs to be maxed out to knock off bottle caps, so there will be a chance of missing targets, although most coins will still chime in at full disc (whether that exclusively includes goldies, I really can't remember). Bottle caps will be abit scratchy when backing off from max disc, vs coins will still be a clear and prominent signal. The trick with the Vaquero is to run on all metal, bottle caps tend to give a very sharp sound, whereas coins tend to give a more rounded and mellow signal of similar intensity. Unfortunately bottle caps are a real pain, and have similar conductivity to a lot of coins, for example, they ring in just like goldies on my ace 250, although more of an abrupt cut-off bell tone. So the secret is more to do with listening to the tones vs relying soley on discrimination to knock out all the uwanted crap.

Screw caps are hard to knockout without missing things like 3d, but if you set the vaquero just under 5c then you wont get any crown seals just a few of the old ring tabs and all of the other coins ring solid a double or scratchy tone will be a new ring tab and it wont repeat well you will only get it one way

Different machine to the two mentioned above but my id for 20c and pull tabs is the same. Safe to say I'm leaving a few 20s in the ground after nearly doing my nut digging pull tabs. The id scale makes 50c $1 & $2easy to id so I just notch out around the high set and keep the set below. You raise an interesting point, might try testing, and stop the notching and see if the ducks advice rings true, seems to make sense even if it it's a different machine.

I know with the Xterra it is possible to dicriminate out the pull tabs and bottle tops. One and two cent coins along with $1 and $2 coins are made of 97% and 92% copper and all ring around the same tone on a few different detectors I own. It is the 5/10/20 and some small silver coins that are the same range as pull tabs and bottle tops - so if you are willing to forgo finding these items then dicriminating all but should be pretty easy - but as others have said you will probably discriminate out rings and other goodies.

From all I have read and experience I've gained - you can't get away from them - best is to dig them and be sure - and accept the fact that it ain't possible to only dig good targets without missing lots of treasure and that pull tabs and bottle tops are your friends. :)

Latest posts