⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice gems there guys, just got my blue one cut...lost a bit from 5.95ct to 1.93 cut.

Heres a pic of the next one (dark geen but yellow under light) to be sent off. Bigger than the blue one but no scales yet.

1396604118_greensaph1a.jpg

1396604149_greensaph1c.jpg

Thanks Lee, I was in the steep part of the learning curve when I cut those ones.

Peter, wow, that yellowish green one looks pretty clean inside! Nice results on the blue you sent to cut, a 32% yield is quite decent (unless you're cutting flawless tourmaline crystals in an emmy/baguette design, that is :p ).

Twapster said:

Cool - :cool: - it is interesting to see that the small green tone in one the before photo is not evident in the end result and the cut results in a consistent blue. I have a few uncut blues that I put down as being party coloured, or poor quality, because of the different colour tone seen from different angles. It will be interesting to see how the colour changes once cut.

Can't wait to see the green one cut.

Wally, if you have stones with different colors along each axis, if those are complimentary colors, a good cutter will be able to orient the stone so that the colors mix properly, you only have to choose which one you want as the dominant color so it's aligned towards the table. The other color will show in the reflections. Of course if you only want blue (ie kill the yellow component) all that can be done is heat the stone.

Sodabowski said:
Thanks Lee, I was in the steep part of the learning curve when I cut those ones.

Peter, wow, that yellowish green one looks pretty clean inside! Nice results on the blue you sent to cut, a 32% yield is quite decent (unless you're cutting flawless tourmaline crystals in an emmy/baguette design, that is :p ).

Thanks Thomas, yep very happy with the blue one. Probably a realistic yield for those wanting to know how much you loose on the stone in the process.

Now hoping the green one turns out well. Im excited that the green one looks clean inside, and cant wait to see the colour transformation as it should come out yellow. Also the size and shape have me thinking it will be a reasonable size.

Peter

Nice king ,
Lots of girdle still,are you going to cut the top so your main facets match,or are you going to leave a chunky girdle( leaves more weight and plays with the light a bit,I cut a garnet like this and don't mind it)
Varts

Varts said:
Nice king ,
Lots of girdle still,are you going to cut the top so your main facets match,or are you going to leave a chunky girdle( leaves more weight and plays with the light a bit,I cut a garnet like this and don't mind it)
Varts

Didn't think about tat so much varts ... Just trying to get through first step without hassle . Have a great teacher and said I progressed faster than students over his last 40 odd years . There's lots of room there for me to ... Work with ( the girdle), have a bit of misshap ... Whatever . Thanks for the thoughts though , got a photo of your cut?. Hoping its not like catching a fish first cast , then not getting more for the rest of the day!
Already planning on getting more machines . Should be up and running to cutt stones ( sapphires ) which have now taken over any waking thoughts I have . Just got to keep digging them to supply myself with rough . There's always a catch.....

Latest posts