A lot of silvery flecks in bottom of pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the newbie post :)

Thought I'd test out my home built sluice box with a bucket of stuff I dug out of the Tyenna here in Tas. The sluice worked well (popped some lead sinkers in the bucket and it caught them all). On clean up, I didn't find any gold, but there's a lot of silvery specks in the bottom of the pan. It's heavier than everything else in there and I'm not sure what it is. I know that the Tyenna was like one of the only rivers where osmiridium was mined in Aus, but I have no idea if that will show up in a pan.

Not sure what this stuff is but I'd be interested in finding out. Probably something normal but I'm still new at this. Cheers

This is the best photo I can get.

N0C7039.jpg

I'd be pretty sure that's what it will be... There's a place I get similar stuff here in Vic and I've been told it's osmiridium.

Hi Mate,

according to Wikipedia:

Osmiridium is very rare, but it can be found in mines of other platinum group metals. One very productive mine was operated at Adamsfield near Tyenna in Tasmania during the Second World War with the ore shipped out by railway from Maydena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmiridium

Is osmiridium worth anything anymore? I've tried searching and there doesn't seem to much info on it at all.