How to Clean a Gold Ring help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danmuss

Danny
Reaction score
Hmmm not sure if this is right place to post?
But I need advice on best way to clean a very tarnished Gold Ring, it was found 5" down and I reckon it's
been there for a long time.. I've tried warm soapy water and no joy.. Anyone know a good effective way :)
1395735499_image.jpg

Hi Danmuss
If it is either 9ct or 18ct try using a Silver Cloth. Will take a bit of rubbing to bring back the shine.
You could also soak it in one of the proprietary jewellery cleaners after the gold has been cleaned, this will help with the sparkle on the gem :)
Hope this works. Keep us posted with how it turns out.
Cheers Monty

i think its times like this you may need to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner, if your hunting jewelry and coins it will become invaluable to clean your bounty ;)

ah ok, I don't know what that is or what it does or how expensive they are?
But we do search for only coins and relics and jewellery so yeh maybe a good investment .. can you pop a link up on this so I can see what you mean

Sylar said:
i think its times like this you may need to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner, if your hunting jewelry and coins it will become invaluable to clean your bounty ;)
Hi Sylar
I have been thinking about one of these for a while.
Should I look for one on eBay or one of the Electronic Stores (e.g. Dick Smith)?
Cheers Monty

Monty said:
Sylar said:
Hi Sylar
I have been thinking about one of these for a while.
Should I look for one on eBay or one of the Electronic Stores (e.g. Dick Smith)?
Cheers Monty

Mate I just checked eBay and there around about $50 and I also checked Gumtree and seen a few for $20, il probably get mines on Gumtree and try it out

lol mate take it to a jewellers will cost about $5 to get it cleaned.
better yet take it to sheils or zammels they clean for free just say you purchased from there
:D

Sylar said:
Ive got one and they are really great. Cheap too. Look on ebay for the right price.

I saw that ring, it could actually be quite old and a valuable historic goldrush jewellery piece. I'd get a jeweller to maybe clean it for you, it won't cost much. I have used a metal polish called "Metal Magic" before on an old gold ring and it came up great. What is stamped inside the ring? Karat and hallmark?

You may want to get it checked out by a lady called "Cash Brown", she ran an exhibition recently on gold rush jewellery, another member here found a valuable ring which was displayed in the exhibition. You may even want to chat with a jeweller about getting it restored as it could be a significant find if you're lucky, depending on who made it of course, Cash Brown would be the first person to try to call or email I would think.

So no, don't put it in alibrite.

Can you take some better pictures of it also please of the outside design and inside stamps?

Check out these links. :)

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...rs-who-loved-their-bling-20160416-go7x1q.html

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17199

I just popped your pic into this thread too as it's an interesting find.

Yeah wish I found it lol. :D Hopefully it's made by someone who was very well known, if so it could be worth a decent amount to a collector.

hey shiftyrick, send me a pm if you want to contact cash brown, which I would recommend particularly if there is any markings on the inside. in most cases no cleaning is best until you know what you have really got. sure looks old but I wouldn't have thought gold would have tarnished like that. cheers mark.

Gday fellas here are a few more pics of that ring, I cleaned it in a watered down Ali Brite solution,still cant make out the hallmarks but ill try to get a jewellers loop to have a look at them.I found the ring near Dunolly two weeks ago using a 4500 with a 15 x 12 commander coil it was about 30 inches down between tw
1475150111_20160929_213544284281.jpg
o old timers holes.

Shifty,
That is a bloody fantastic find...
Half your luck.....
Well done.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Latest posts