D I Y sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunollyman

stephen
Reaction score
ok after reading this forum i decided yesterday that my sluice just wasnt cutting it, and was only good when you were crevising.....
1395804603_rsz_047.jpg

so yesterday i headed to the duct makers and got 2 sluice box's made up as well as some extra sheet metal cut for my hopper and today it was ready for pick up, after asking the guy behind the counter were the closest electric place I was confronted with a weird stare after a long pause he referred me to the guy across the road lmao that made me feel the fool, but when i walked out side i was confronted with 4 electrical places in the same court :lol: ... any way oi thought i would make a thread so you guys can help and watch along the way, heres what i have so far
1395804949_rsz_048.jpg

cost so far
$71 for the steel
$27 for the cable tray
$145 water pump
$25 for steel RHS :cool:
sorry the pics are not clear i'll try harder next time :D

Brilliant idea, I would love to see a video of it in action.

I might do something like that with my EZ Sluice now that I have the Highbanker, it could come in handy to run the HB concentrates through to cut down on panning time.

Thanks nugget, sorry i havn't made a video of it running yet might do that next time its set up, the inlet for it i use a fish tank under gravel filter connection the bottom bit :)
1395899164_mmm.jpg

the plan to use sheet metal for a hopper did not work, it looked heaps ugly, so i headed down to cheap as chips and bought a ready made hopper :)
another $10

1395898953_s1.jpg

the out come

1395899014_slllll.jpg

and a very basic frame to attach my adjustable legs

1395899050_slll.jpg

not sure might go out again to night for another look and think but i think im happy with it :D

Whereabouts does the sluice fit into the new concept? I imagine it goes under the classifier screen but looks like the center bar of the frame would get in the way.

I was digging the sheet metal hopper, did the design not work as expected or was it purely a cosmetic decision to ditch it?

Following with interest mate :)

i was going to make the hopper with the same concept as the ez sluice hopper, but i failed. lol
i hopping to make it a 2 tier sluice if all goes well, but with me building it you never know what the end result will be :p
i will be having some riffles under the classifier but realy want that on,e to be more of a skid plate as some of the soil we dig has a bit of clay in it...

Mate I look forward to the final result, and please keep us updated because you're giving me a few ideas for mine :D

BTW, are you using the miners moss that came with the EZ Sluice? I found it clogged up when classifying down to 1/2", so I ended up switching to ribbed marine carpet which seems a lot better. The other alternative is to classify down to 1/4".

yeah i still use the moss that came with it, i classify down to about 1/4 before i run it through, that's why I'm updating as it took up all my girlfriend's time to classify lol....
but i will say i know it would lose a few bits of flower gold once in a while but i think that was the way i had it set up on the rocks without a stand...

does anyone know were i can get cheap expanded mesh either steel or all aluminium?????? :|

Dman steels everywhere, any manufacturer/metal joint are the places to look. Places that make hors floats,trailers or caravans are the places to look. If you want it cheap just keep dropping in regularly until they have an offcut then it'll only cost you a fiver or free when they're in a good mood.

ok so after work today i ran around for what seemed like hours i found this stuff :) Question is has any one ever used this does it clog up and not run properly???
1395996347_mesh.jpg

$5

ok and here is the other stuff the costs are starting to add up now lo
bread crate
YES they charged me for it lol $20
1395996439_bread.jpg

and some bigger expanded steel couldn't find aluminium
$25 8.(
1395996526_mesh2.jpg

I can see absolutely no reason what so ever to use the first one mate the idea is to allow material to drop out of suspention and if heavy stay there and if light bounce about and eventually move on out of your sluice. Theres just not enought surface room for low pressure areas to be good for gold retention.

The last one is the bees knees its what I use in all my sluices and highbankers and it has a very high capture rate. Theres a reason commercial operations use it :) regardless you pickex up some bargans mate

:) thanks for the advise mate, seen it and wanted it :p it was cheap ill put that in the storage pile lol im sure ill need it one day :cool:

Gee you got stung with that bread crate.
I got mine out the back of a big shopping centre.
As many as i wanted in all different colours.

Also milk crates make great seats for sitting in a creek panning ;)

lol the buggers new i realy wanted it just the workers wanting to put cash in there pocket i think lmaoill go tell their boss i got one and would like another :D nah im happy i got it, i wont get them in trouble :p

Ok s i dne a little more today and i think im almost done :) besides plumbing that iss i built thereturn section the thee bottom bit :p
1396163185_3.jpg

then built the frame t support it cut out the bread tray lick of paint
1396163289_1.jpg

ok so next time i update this it should be to show you it running :p

Latest posts