NSW State Forests Permit information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the 1 April date. It is long overdue!

NAPFA (see our section on this forum) has been pursuing this forests permit stuff for well over a year, including in the Parliamentary Inquiry in August (recommendations tabled -- check the submissions online). On November 12, via an intermediary, NAPFA suggested the following changes to the CEO of the State Forests Corporation:

Examine feasibility of eliminating the permit altogether as a possible cost saving measure

If it must remain, then it should be like a fishing licence -- one licence for the whole state

Create Special Annual Permit for clubs to visit all areas (a price of $100 for clubs was suggested as being fair)

An online system to enable self service and online payment

We received information back via letter on November 22 saying that Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW) was working to streamline the permit processes and that in 'early 2014' they would introduce an online system with one permit for the whole state to replace the present system.

Looks like your 1 April is the 'early 2014'. FCNSW have promised to keep NAPFA informed when the release is made, so I'll do that but I suspect with members hitting the forestry website, someone will spot it pretty quick. No information at this stage about permit pricing.

regards
Stephen
President
NAPFA

I have just received an email from the NSW Foresty Corporation detailing upcoming changes to the NSW State Forest Fossicking Permits.

NSW Foresty Corporation said:
Dear Members,

Following community feedback, Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW) has improved its permit system for fossicking in NSW State forests.

From late March 2014, people will be able to apply at www.forestrycorporation.com.au for a single 12-minth permit that allows them to fossick in approved areas of State forests throughout NSW, replacing the old system that required people to obtain permits on a regional basis.

Regional permits that are currently valid may be used State-wide until they expire, providing the holder visits the FCNSW website to review any updated conditions and download the most up-to-date maps showing where fossicking is permitted.

The new annual State-wide permites will cost of $25 plus GST in 2014, with the cost to increase incrementally to $35 plus GST in 2016. The permit fees allow FCNSW to cover administration costs. The small increase recognises that the new permits are valid across NSW and will represent a saving for people fossicking in more than one region.

In addition, FCNSW has expanded the permit to allow a family group with a maximum of five people (2 adults and 3 children under 18 years of age) to fossick under a single permit. If you are fossicking in a group or club, each member or family group must hold a permit. Alternatively, clubs may contact their local regional office to apply through the Forest Permit system for a permit to cover single events.

When in State forests, fossickers must adhere to all relevant legislation, guidelines, permit conditions and maps showing where they can and can't fossick. This information is available online.

This is great news for NSW Fossickers and I'm happy that Prospecting Australia was able to assist in pushing these changes through.

Cheers,
Nugget

Nugget said:
I have just received an email from the NSW Foresty Corporation detailing upcoming changes to the NSW State Forest Fossicking Permits.

NSW Foresty Corporation said:
Dear Members,

Following community feedback, Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW) has improved its permit system for fossicking in NSW State forests.

From late March 2014, people will be able to apply at www.forestrycorporation.com.au for a single 12-minth permit that allows them to fossick in approved areas of State forests throughout NSW, replacing the old system that required people to obtain permits on a regional basis.

Regional permits that are currently valid may be used State-wide until they expire, providing the holder visits the FCNSW website to review any updated conditions and download the most up-to-date maps showing where fossicking is permitted.

The new annual State-wide permites will cost of $25 plus GST in 2014, with the cost to increase incrementally to $35 plus GST in 2016. The permit fees allow FCNSW to cover administration costs. The small increase recognises that the new permits are valid across NSW and will represent a saving for people fossicking in more than one region.

In addition, FCNSW has expanded the permit to allow a family group with a maximum of five people (2 adults and 3 children under 18 years of age) to fossick under a single permit. If you are fossicking in a group or club, each member or family group must hold a permit. Alternatively, clubs may contact their local regional office to apply through the Forest Permit system for a permit to cover single events.

When in State forests, fossickers must adhere to all relevant legislation, guidelines, permit conditions and maps showing where they can and can't fossick. This information is available online.

This is great news for NSW Fossickers and I'm happy that Prospecting Australia was able to assist in pushing these changes through.

Cheers,
Nugget

Nice work mate.
When is the first "club event" under the new permit system going to happen?

Nugget can you highlight the new form like you did the old one, just to make it easier to fill out.
Dozer

Dozer said:
Nugget can you highlight the new form like you did the old one, just to make it easier to fill out.
Dozer

It's moving to an online form / process.

Thats great news.
Good job everyone involved with pushing to get things like this to happen.

Yes good to see that things can change for the better if enough people make enough noise for long enough.

Well done to the individuals and groups (including Prospecting Australia forum and NAPFA) who have all contributed feedback and ideas to get this change through the hoops.

Let's hope the system works as well as it sounds!

Stephen
President
NAPFA.

Good that NSW State Forests finally got its act together.

Lets see my current permit I got in May 2013 for All State Forests for $22 including GST, did it by email and paid online or was it by phone (senior moment), was emailed my form and Permit and just had to email them back a signed pdf of the declaration.

Now in 2014 it is $25 plus GST so $27.50 and by 2016 $35 plus GST so $38.50 to cover administration costs. :eek:
A 2 year permit in Victoria only costs $32.10 and a 10 year permit works out at bargain for $89.90. Looks like NSW needs to learn from Victoria. Such is bureaucracy. :rolleyes:

jimnyjerry said:
Good that NSW State Forests finally got its act together.

Lets see my current permit I got in May 2013 for All State Forests for $22 including GST, did it by email and paid online or was it by phone (senior moment), was emailed my form and Permit and just had to email them back a signed pdf of the declaration.

Now in 2014 it is $25 plus GST so $27.50 and by 2016 $35 plus GST so $38.50 to cover administration costs. :eek:
A 2 year permit in Victoria only costs $32.10 and a 10 year permit works out at bargain for $89.90. Looks like NSW needs to learn from Victoria. Such is bureaucracy. :rolleyes:

In 2016 it will cost you 10 cents a day to fossick in any state forest in Nsw and you are having a whinge because...?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Can't please everyone.

When they say approved areas of state Forrest's , does this mean the permit would not cover the whole Forrest only an approved portion of it much like the designated ares in Oberon ?

Excellent news, thanks for the update & your work on the changes Nugget!

"visits the FCNSW website to review any updated conditions and download the most up-to-date maps showing where fossicking is permitted"

Anyone have an exact link to the maps? I'm going round in circles looking for them :rolleyes:

Well, just rang Tereene at the Dubbo Office 6841-4288 and she told us that if we want a Permit for all State Forests NSW we would be better off waiting until 1 April when we could get a Permit for both of us on the one Permit for $27.50. If we got a Permit today we would have to have one Permit each and would have to indicate which State Forest we wanted the Permit for. This all sounds contradictory to what has previously been posted to date. Sounds like some people get different deals depending on what Office the call or contact. Got me beat.....

Once the new system is in place, Regional Permits will become Statewide Permits until they expire. The following quote is from a recent email I received from the NSW Forestry Corporation.

Valid regional permits may be used State-wide until they expire, providing you review any updated conditions and download up-to-date maps showing where fossicking is not permitted from Forestry Corporation's website.

Latest posts