DIY Crevice Sucker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt22

Matt
Reaction score
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone has ever made/ has experience with a DIY hand dredge? I have been watching a few vids on the tube about them, some look rather good.

Wondering if they work well?

Cheers

Matt

I have a Gold and Sand hand dredge from U.S. which works really well. I tried to make one out of a yabby pump but was not successful so i parted with about $160 to get this one. Cheers,Rick

Thanks for the info mate, I shall keep looking and see what I can find :)

Hi Matt22,

We have used a hand pump/sucker on several occasions. It's a home made one based off an old design using a boat bilge pump (purchased from Bias Boating) and 90mm PVC pipe. I'm in the process of building it as a backpack style unit for easy carry etc. It may cost a bit, I may even get the final tally for you but very much worth it in my humble opinion.

Most areas I've used it to clean bedrock and suck crevices clean. It's a very powerful unit and has required a two man operation at times -this is why I'm converting it to a backpack. We actually caved in a brewers keg with it due to the enormous sucking power using 25mm hose. This is why we went over to the much stronger PVC pipe.

I'll grab a photo or two for you today (still in the backpack build phase). I have one shot of the results of cleaning bedrock with it also.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Id be keen to see a pic or two Newby. Unfortunately here in Tassie we aren't permitted to use power/electrical driven devices for prospecting.

We are under the same rules and regulations here in N.S.W. That's why this type of hand pump works so effectively :)

Here's a basic layout of my new design. Just need to attach the main PVC section to a sturdy backpack. It can also be left on the ground in an upright position (to let gravity do the work). Our previous design was all used on the ground with the pump attached to a small separate stand. The pump itself is a Jabsco Manual Bilge Pump and they run around $130-ish. I'm still debating on whether or not to add a small base to the pump to kneel or stand on. Still some kinks to work out with this new design. Note: Just added the 30cm steel ruler for scale.

1365566185_pump.jpg

Here's a before (left) and after (right) of a bedrock area done with our original first type of ground-based setup. One thing to note is that we reduced the 25mm suction hose at the tip to prevent blockages by using a small nozzle cut down to 12mm. You can go as small as needed to get into the cracks.

1365566864_before_and_after.jpg

Cheers,
Shauno.

That does a wicked job mate, you could eat off that rock! Looks like a great set up! Might have to do something similar. Thanks for the pics :)

Shauno, can you take a look at the pump, and let me know how many litres a minute or similar it is please?
Ta
GM

Gold miner said:
Shauno, can you take a look at the pump, and let me know how many litres a minute or similar it is please?
Ta
GM

No worries at all GM.

It's quoted at 100L/min (22Gal/min) which I believe to be very close. Just off hand, when I give it a full squirt she'll let fly a 1" blast of water around 12-15 feet.

Once it's primed and I get a good pump or two through the PVC section the suction created is tremendous. Like I mentioned above we totally destroyed a thick-walled brewers keg when testing initially. The suction caused a massive implosion of the keg -apologies to any home-brewers out there ;)

Being mainly all plastic and rubber workings, the gravels and mud won't really harm it at all should they make their way into the pump itself. Once mounted backpack style it will be a nifty piece of equipment.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

TenOunce Tone said:
Hand suction pump its on "The List"

ROTFLMFAO!! An even BIGGER garage!!!!!

I noticed on fleabay, these hand bilge pumps can be bought fairly cheaply...
The LPM varies greatly...and they're not Jabsco...a world leader in marine pumps...

Hi Matt, I am in the process of making a hand suction crevice pump, will post about the process and any pitfalls i come across..

Individual results may vary.. :)

Ok, I have started the hand dredge project today. nearly complete just need to finish of the noozle. having a hard time finding bis to fit together. will put up a few pics soon 8)

Syndyne said:
Hi Matt22,

We have used a hand pump/sucker on several occasions. It's a home made one based off an old design using a boat bilge pump (purchased from Bias Boating) and 90mm PVC pipe. I'm in the process of building it as a backpack style unit for easy carry etc. It may cost a bit, I may even get the final tally for you but very much worth it in my humble opinion.

Most areas I've used it to clean bedrock and suck crevices clean. It's a very powerful unit and has required a two man operation at times -this is why I'm converting it to a backpack. We actually caved in a brewers keg with it due to the enormous sucking power using 25mm hose. This is why we went over to the much stronger PVC pipe.

I'll grab a photo or two for you today (still in the backpack build phase). I have one shot of the results of cleaning bedrock with it also.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

would love to see your design/pics :)

Matt22 said:
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone has ever made/ has experience with a DIY hand dredge? I have been watching a few vids on the tube about them, some look rather good.

Wondering if they work well?

Cheers

Matt
hey matt

i made one up from a yabbie pump pretty simple, just got the angled t section which was suitable size for the pump i'll then cut a small slit in the pipe and clamped it on, some blokes use a one way valve i didn't bother. mine had a fitted on the front with a 15mm tube but i busted it sorry cant find it to include but you get the idea, probably $16 worth of plumbing.

works well for crevicing

1368095687_photo.jpg

Syndyne said:
We are under the same rules and regulations here in N.S.W. That's why this type of hand pump works so effectively :)

Here's a basic layout of my new design. Just need to attach the main PVC section to a sturdy backpack. It can also be left on the ground in an upright position (to let gravity do the work). Our previous design was all used on the ground with the pump attached to a small separate stand. The pump itself is a Jabsco Manual Bilge Pump and they run around $130-ish. I'm still debating on whether or not to add a small base to the pump to kneel or stand on. Still some kinks to work out with this new design. Note: Just added the 30cm steel ruler for scale.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/378/1365566185_pump.jpg

Here's a before (left) and after (right) of a bedrock area done with our original first type of ground-based setup. One thing to note is that we reduced the 25mm suction hose at the tip to prevent blockages by using a small nozzle cut down to 12mm. You can go as small as needed to get into the cracks.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/378/1365566864_before_and_after.jpg

Cheers,
Shauno.

i reckon a skateboard without the weheel would be perfect for a base, board kicks up on right and left for stability. and who know if the water comes in fast maybe you can skate out of there :)

Thanks Matt,

I built one of these but could only get a 35lt pm pump but still is great ! Can only imagine how well the bigger pump would suck, when I kill this pump I'll go bigger. I attached the pump to a board so you can stand/kneel on it like a skate board.

Great work and thanks again

Pete

Syndyne said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/378/1365566185_pump.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/378/1365566864_before_and_after.jpg

Cheers,
Shauno.
An oldie but a goodie....what do ya reckon Cecc :lol:

Hey Yobs how are ya mate, itching to get out, but gotta move, so busy, oh I hate packing, throwing stuff out, so much stuff gone to tip. Only 3 days to go and I can rest. Then It's up to Spot X2 Yobs....aye.

Now to answer your question mate, looks good, this pump, but can't work out how to use the pump!! Actually just made another one, will have to do a shot soon, I designed it for Spot X for the gravel, I think it's better than my last one. Will bring it up next time, thinking of putting a bolt through the bottom of the nozzle at the end, so big rocks don't block it.

I have tested it and works really, really good. Am experimenting with rubber washers and some thong, after I move will be going to mates at Kallangur near where I live and we're going to grind some pipe down so I can punch out 40mm rubber, or thong, the trouble with old thongs are the variation in the thickness, I am looking for an even thickness.

I have the bottom washer, then some 3mm rubber cut as best as I can with stanley knife, then the round bit of thong, then another bit of rubber just slightly smaller than the diameter of the main tube. Then another washer about 35mm allowing for the rubber and thong to extrude just bigger than the washer.

At the end of the bolt that holds all of this which I glued into the bottom of the 25 mmm I think it was, plunger piece, is a wing nut, which you can tighten and lossen at the end of the day. Tighten it to squash the rubber and thong more, to give more suction, but in my experiments, just a light tighten is all I need to get, pretty awesome suction.

Can't wait to try at Spot X or Spot X2.

Just wanted to make one with all PVC and am quite happy with results. If I get time I'll do a video. After I move might be a while before I get the inter net on so will be offline for maybe a week or a bit more after Thur.

Cheers

Len