QLD Fossicking Laws!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
After some recent discussion on this forum in regards to the use of "Sluices" in QLD (I believed they where legal) I contacted 2 Mining Warden offices in my area, I was informed of the following, Currently in QLD, you cannot use - River sluice, Highbanker, Dredge ( which includes a Yabby pump), Dryblower, Trommel. Only sieves & pans, what a load of crap!!!

(this is an extract from a post I made on another thread)

We may not like the laws that are put in front of us but that is what we have!!

I would like to hear "Opinions & Constructive Arguments" on this issue, LETS NO GET INTO A FIGHT, I would like to build a case to put forth our case to review/ change the restrictive laws that control our hobby.

I believe that QLD's fossicking laws are to restrictive & require a huge overhaul.
I will be working on this for all QLD'ers this year, I think if we have a united voice & demonstrate the importance of our economic contribution to the smaller communities we may get some changes through.

I do feel that in the interim that all prospectors should conduct themselves so as to not draw attention to our hobby in a negative respect.

Once I get a bit organised I will be putting out a petition & will be asking for support from around the state.
cheers
Lee

possible points to put forward...

maximum trommel barrel size...

maximum pump sizes and or electric only...

I will give you as much input and help I can give.
Cheers Kane

I cant find anything that states no sluices mate only no machinery that would allow a river sluice surely

1395028773_0.jpg

to think my young bloke would be breaking the law if he used this to even load his gold pan! lol

G0lddigg@ said:
I cant find anything that states no sluices mate only no machinery that would allow a river sluice surely

Hey dig
One would think so, but like I said 2 separate offices said no go, whether they understand each piece of equipment is a different story, I intend to send these 2 offices an email which will contain a photo of each bit of equipment to get clarification in writing.
cheers
Lee

that would be good to see. I might be moving back up that way at the end of the year be sad to close down my highbanker business and favourite hobby :(

G0lddigg@ said:
that would be good to see. I might be moving back up that way at the end of the year be sad to close down my highbanker business and favourite hobby :(

if and when you get back up here it would be great to have your input on the matters up here
if not a great opportunity to catch up with a few more of you for an outing

of course mate ill get my hands dirty ive had plenty of experience dealing with council and tourism I know how to put a good case forward. always good to meet with like minded people

If you need a hand Lee, let me know, more than willing to help out the cause. I understand that a sluice is ok, spoke to the mines dept in Mareeba and Townsville back in Nov 2013, they indicated that a sluice is ok. You cant use powered devices to dig or extract the gravel.

If you are on a lease you can use what you want to dig out the gravel as long as it is in the plan of operations and as long as it is not a dredge.

I will check with a few guys who may know better and see if things have changed in the past couple of months,

Given the new "expedited" approval process the Newman/Abbott govt have introduced, seems a lot of things are changing for the big boys, while once again hosing over the rest of the citizens.

Time for us NQ prospectors to make a stand I say!

This is the current fossicking information from DERM website.

http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/permitted-activities-materials

Dont see anything saying you cant use a sluice. Its not mechanical

Link to the legislation and regs covering fossicking, I will have a good read of these tomorrow.

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/Acts_SLs/Acts_SL_F.htm

Only thing is if they consider a sluice a fixed structure?? It is not permanent, I dont think this would pass the test of a reasonable man??
Cheers, Tone

There is always a money trail when people travel, lots of small towns really benefit from tourists.
I hope you are granted some concessions that encourage prospecting with it's associated benefits to the community.

rc62burke said:
Hi All

Once I get a bit organised I will be putting out a petition & will be asking for support from around the state.
cheers
Lee

hi lee
good on you lee, i'll sign when you get something sorted.
don't forget to mention how much money prospectors spend when going away....I think the pollies like the thought of more money :D
regards tm

Hi all, I normally just sit in the shadows but I will come out on this one. I am from QLD and am hoping to get back up there at the end of this year, currently in VIC, I always thought that Dry blower, Trommel River sluice, High banker were ok but there seems to be some differing opinions. I will keep an eye on this one and see what happens.

G0lddigg@ said:

Hey ya ratbag,,,lol. Seems I'm not going to get away from you when I go back up to Qld as well.

All good. We'll have to catch up when we both get back.

I'll have to take the time to check out the links that Tone supplied, just to get some idea of the legislation up there. I never really too that much interest till I came down here and caught yellow fever.

By the way. I spoke to Rita, Pres. of the PMAV. The quote below on the front page of the Official Journal of the PMAV, Volume 33 No 1 Summer 2014, written by Rita. It is a summary of the proposed new Legislation due to be put before Vic. state parliament later this year.

"In addition Government has accepted that the use of sluices will not be permitted in these parks or any park areas where we are currently permitted. This includes river sluices that just use river flow to wash gravel. They have also changed the ban on "non-motorised" to "non-mechanical" tools; again in all parks."

I made a point to ask, and Rita clarified. This DOES include the current State Parks, not just the proposed 8 new areas within the National Parks and she should know. She's had consultations, made submissions and sent out info packs to many MPs. Hell, the PMAV even held an information session at Parliament House, and wouldn't you guess it, only 9 MPs turned up, even then, only for a few minutes. Weak as pizzz.

If you Queenslanders think you safe, beware. Check out what's happening down here in Vic. There's plenty of info on this forum at the moment.

All I can say is, there might be some strength in number, so support your Qld fossicker/ miner's group. God knows, the various Green groups have plenty of support. Don't miss the chance.

Cheers, Ron.

Ok, I have rang the local Mines Office,
If you are operating under a FOSSICKING PERMITI have been advised that you can only use hand tools, that is items you can carry with your hands, so shovel, pick, detector, pan.

Use of stand alone (sluice) or mechanically operated tools is prohibited, (Highbankers, Trommel etc) even if you are hand feeding... is not allowed on general land.

I will be talking to the Registrar during the week, I will get confirmation of this.

What I was told if you want to use a sluice, highbanker or other mechanical aid, you need to be operating under a PROSPECTING PERMIT on a CLAIM!

Costs for getting a claim if you get EPM holder permission

Get a PROSPECTING PERMIT, $110.30 for three months,
Native title if not covered by ILUA starts around $1500.00
Application fee for a ONE Hectare parcel. $330.90
Financial Assurance that may be held, (bond) from $500.00
Advertising costs for the notification start around $1000.00

Extra costs may be involved to access the land from the land holder, and extra native title costs.

So for around $5000.00 you can legally use a sluice in QLD if all things go your way.

Or find a friend with a lease or a claim!

A LOT of land owners and pastrolists are complaining to the Mines department about "Prospectors and Fossickers" doing damage to the land and disturbing the stock etc. Once again the few stuff it for the many.

Apparantly the legislation is under review and there are changes coming down the track.

No doubt the public will be squeezed out by the corporates and those who make up the intrests of the "Four pillars of the QLD Economy"

I will update after my discussion with the registrar

Cheers, Tone

Well I spoke to the mines guys today at the Mareeba office. Sluice is not a hand tool. Hand tools are defined in the Fossicking Act. I will post more when i get home.

Cheers, Tone

dammit! i just had another look through the fossicking act

hand tool means
(a) a pick, shovel, hammer, sieve, shaker, or electronic
detector; or
(b) a tool declared by regulation to be a hand tool.

so wheres the regulation declared tools.......still sounds like it will be decided on the day to me

just looking at organizations for QLD - looks like the qld prospecting club has got their S&%* together, although i'm even more confused because people are talking about highbankers pumps etc.
the club has property for prospecting :) http://queenslandprospectingclub.org

any u blokes involved?

Latest posts