Tips for new facetors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Pro-oz that's a ball bearing, there are two of them in there. Which means one is missing. It takes 3 to line the quill up correct and with only 2 there I now know why I was having trouble with my angles.
I have no idea where to get another one as I've already started looking and calling without success.

Cheers.
Badge.

If you right click on the pic and left click on open image in new window, then hold down the ctrl button while scrolling you can zoom in on the picture and see the other ball bearing in the top right hand corner.
Cheers.
Badge.

Badge said:
Yes Pro-oz that's a ball bearing, there are two of them in there. Which means one is missing. It takes 3 to line the quill up correct and with only 2 there I now know why I was having trouble with my angles.
I have no idea where to get another one as I've already started looking and calling without success.

Cheers.
Badge.

3 bearings??

I tried to get one out to measure it but couldn't find a way to do it. It beats me how the other one disappeared on the previous owner.
Somehow push the little ball bearing out of a grubscrew hole at 90 degrees is beyond me ATM. I'll work on it though.
Thanks for the offer. If I get one out I'll post the measurement here.
Cheers.
Badge.

Pro-oz said:
Aahh now I get it. what size do the other two measure? I may be able to help.

Yes, success. I extracted one (the other one would not come out but still rotates freely) and measured as well as I could.
It took one of my wife's pins for sewing, after a minor operation on the angle. O:) (not me Dear)

1643332798_ball.jpg

That's 3 mm diameter.

Now to track one down.
Cheers.
Badge.

Statewide Bearings .com.au 20c each. :)
Minimum sale $5, plus postage, plus GST = Total $19.00 :( for that little ball of trouble.
It's the little things in life that are most often precious.

Cheers.
Badge.

Mackka said:
Glad i could help.
Mackka

Yep thanks Mackka :Y: I'm not sure I would have gotten the same response from most businesses. They were terrific.
I could hear the guy giggling to himself about someone wanting to buy a 20c ball bearing and have it sent via post. :lol:

Cheers.
Badge.

I Googled all the bearing shops close by and they weren't even interested in sending one ball bearing out in the post.
So it ended up a fairly big deal to me Mackka.
With 3 new bearings the Gemmasta might start playing the game for me. Hopefully it will improve my cutting.
Cheers.
Badge.

Badge said:
Dihusky said:
I'm a couple of hours south of Toowoomba Badge, I'll also message a mate of mine in your area and see if anyone is running any faceting courses so you can get on the right track.

We often go down to Glendon Camping Ground near Warwick so any detour will suit me. And thanks for looking around for someone else to help set me up right.

Where I was getting less cut at index 64 and 32, I found that it was my fault for not taking closer notice.
When placing the dop into the quill I have 4 grub screws, two forward and two rear. The problem was the dop wasn't aligned exactly in the middle. I spent longer placing the dop in today and had no problems with it. This particular quill isn't like the ones I've seen on videos where there is a pointed grub screw to locate the dop in the right alignment.
Will that convert to the window problem? I don't know. I'll find that out tomorrow after the dop has been transfered (which I did with the feeling the eyes of you and Pat Hogen were watching me). :lol:

I really appreciate the assistance I've received from everyone that's commented on this and the other thread. You in particular. I owe you a few beers down the track. :beer:

Cheers.
Badge.

Glendon's a little over an hour from us plus there are plenty of areas around there to swing or pan. Give us the heads up when your planning a trip and we'll be up. :)