Minelab Safari tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new detector.

What I did, was to get one of each coin - out of the piggy bank, put them on the ground and run the coil over them individually. I noted down the numbers and made up some labels and stuck them to the detector shaft - as a reminder. i.e.$2 = ##, $1 = ##, 50c = ## etc.
I did the same with a couple of rings (silver & gold) - Did not label the shaft for these, as people occasionally come over and if they see these numbers, they get excited and start digging the hole for you, then claim they lost the ring.

All rings/jewellery I find I take to the police and if not claimed, usually have them returned.

Get a pull tab, nail and bottle cap as well. The numbers can differ a little but you can hear the sound difference, though I find it best to did all targets until you get used to your gear.

Good luck and happy hunting.

There is not much love as many either opt for the cheaper x-terra 705, or went for the more expensive Etrac and Explorer for the Fe/Co ID numbers. At the time the Safari competed against the now discontinued and feature packed Minelab Explorer SE Pro, which for some time was discounted to a price cheaper than the Safari which didn't help sales (the Safari is loosely based off the Etrac, not the previous Explorer platform).

Either way, it is still a good detector to get started on, especially for beach detecting on wet sand. Personally I would do as the other mentioned, and test out various targets to get used to both the tones and ID's, and initially dig all good repeatable targets until you gain some confidence and experience. The beach is a really good place to learn the capabilites of your detector, much less junk to deal with than in park situations, and less initial frustration on being overwhelmed by too many targets.

Plenty of love from me , owned mine for around five years. All though I mainly gold detect , I chase the old coins and relics with the safari . Had many of great finds , works well in just about any type of ground . Its a fairly simple machine to get your head around Im sure u will be unearthing some decent finds in no time

While I'm waiting for the right moment to upgrade to an Equinox, I've been reading up in a bit more detail on how it compares to other machines in that price range. I'm getting the feel that there isn't much point considering single frequency detectors any more, but I've started to wonder if there's any value in considering Minelab's FBS machines with prices the way they are now. Having an all-rounder will be great, although my interest seems to be heading towards hunting pre-decimal coins. I've always got the GMT if I'm feeling masochistic and want to look for gold so gold capability is a nice to have, not a need.

I guess what I'm asking is, in anyones opinions or experiences, if the Safari offers enough of an advantage on high conductors like copper and silver to be worth a look over the Equinox at effectively the same price if the main target was pre-dec coins? From my readings, I don't think I would pay the $2-400 premium for the ETRAC over the Equinox as they are close to equivalent, although I'd strongly consider it if the prices were the same. I see the main detractors being the weight, slowness and not getting the dual number VDI which might negate the point I guess, but if they hit measurably harder on that particular set of coinage then there might be something to it.

Any anecdotes and opinions either way? I haven't seen much discussion on comparing the performance of these two machines head to head for coinage yet, are they just not that well regarded that no one has thought it worthwhile?

E trac and safari are both good detectors and you would be happy with either...But they are heavy compared to the Nox....The Nox will run smoother on wet beach sand.....its submersible......and in my opinion much faster recovery speed and much better in trashy iron infested ground..And the Nox can and will continue to have its software updated....Never owned Etrac or safari but have used the Etrac numerous times....But I do own a Nox 800..And this is just my opinion . :Y:
Good luck with your choice. :)

Weight shouldn't be too big of an issue, my GMT is porkier. Just had a hunt in a trashy area that makes me think I could use the better iron handling. Mind you, had a local pull up to see what I was doing and drove off when I noticed him which was a little surprising as I was 100s of meters away from private property! I suppose you get that in rural areas but I would have felt a lot better if he had have come over to chat.

Hello All.

I've just made the change from a Minelab Xterra 505 to a Minelab Safari, and was hoping for some tips/tricks for on Land and Beach.
About 25 years ago I had the first Sovereign produced and had a lot of success.....and decided to go back to that Multifrequency type of detecting. While I would'nt have any difficulty relearning how to use it again...........can't say the same for the Safari.
Appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks.

Does anybody here use a safari that goes THUMP after a target tone....Like BEEP..THUMP
Mine always has and am finally wondering if it is normal for this machine.
The detector works fine, great depth and sensitivity but the thump is starting to get on my goat a bit. :argh:

Latest posts