Gold detecting Mount Crawford SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made up my mind and try in the next 3 days a little bit of detecting in the Mt Crawford Forest Reserve. I have my Nox 800 and 10x5" coil with me and am ready to collect my first gold detecting experience (and hopefully with some good results too). I'm aware that there are better areas and people I speak with mention VIC etc. a lot. Nevertheless, Mt C. it is, and only an hour drive from Adelaide.

Tips are welcome of course - and will keep you updated :)

My Thoughts:
You will need to walk in ( road access closed until May?)
Take water.
Suggest a GPS and mark the location of you vehicle.
Carry a phone.
Wear gaiters
Hat/Cap
Riggers Gloves
and Me, Jeans and long sleeve shirt

Last Trip in October, mate and I found a piece of gold each

Hi, @PeterInSa I'm heading to Mt Crawford Forest Reserve again. Are you willing to share some areas where you were lucky enough to find gold?

Cheers
Mate, that's a question no serious prospector ever asks, especially on a forum where you're in grave danger of being thought an 'internet beggar', since you don't even know Peter and he's already been very helpful to you.

Mate, that's a question no serious prospector ever asks, especially on a forum where you're in grave danger of being thought an 'internet beggar', since you don't even know Peter and he's already been very helpful to you.
Well, let's pretend I didn't ask and thanks for reminding me on the unwritten rules ;)

Last time I went to Mt Crawford I had a gate code so could drive in, There is some rough country in there with lots of off cut logs, plus to me snakes, so suggest you only go in there with a friend and have CB's just in case. Don't think the Gate codes are operational until April at the earliest.

Hi are you willing to share some areas where you were lucky to find some gold
It is an unwritten protocol that you do not ask people where they found gold. It would be similar to asking people about there banking details and their pin number.

Janet we drove passed the gate x kms in and turned off the main track, it was very hilly country and the wood cutters had been in the area in years past and there were cut logs that they did not need everywhere, was a place that you should not visit alone just in case you twisted an ankle. Mate had a 7000 and me a 6000 and both of us found gold.

Since Mt Crawford is such a small area compared to the Vic Golden Triangle and WA, just about everywhere has been done over by older generation Minelab detectors, so you are looking for what these detector operators have missed.

Nenad's ( Phase Technical) Youtube vids on Mt Crawford using various detectors are worth a look

Best of Luck, go lo and slow.

Janet we drove passed the gate x kms in and turned off the main track, it was very hilly country and the wood cutters had been in the area in years past and there were cut logs that they did not need everywhere, was a place that you should not visit alone just in case you twisted an ankle. Mate had a 7000 and me a 6000 and both of us found gold.

Since Mt Crawford is such a small area compared to the Vic Golden Triangle and WA, just about everywhere has been done over by older generation Minelab detectors, so you are looking for what these detector operators have missed.

Nenad's ( Phase Technical) Youtube vids on Mt Crawford using various detectors are worth a look

Best of Luck, go lo and slow.
Hi what was road was called and which gate was it. Could you please show me on a map? Thank you Janet

Latest posts