Vibra Probe 580 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to All.

I have a Vibra-Probe 580 pinpointer. It is waterproof to 200 feet and was purchased for hunting rings and the like at the beaches and is great at it.

I was just wondering as I'm new to prospecting and havn't found any gold yet :( if anyone has tried one of these on small gold and if so how small will it detect?
It's the type of unit you can bury into muddy water and not be afraid of hurting it, but I have no idea if it will pick up small gold.

Thanks in advance :)

Made by the same company as the vibra tector it is just a waterproof pinpointer. Great if you are swinging an underwater detector and want to pin point that target before you dig. Would also be good for poking into crevices underwater that can hold gold/relics etc. Down side is it turns off when its inverted which can be annoying when trying to detect verticals on rock and creek walls etc. If its similar to the vibra tector the smallest nugget will be about 1-2 grams. Depth will play a part too. It will pick up rings and coins no dramas up to 200mm deep. If you have some lead try cutting different weight pieces off (need small scales) and bury them at different depths in your back yard. Then try the pointer on them. Lead sings the same as gold pretty much and the weight/size ratios are similar. Put the lead pieces in little plastic containers so you can find them again.

I had the vibra-quatic at one stage, whilst the build quality and operation was great, I found it a real pain to use as a pinpointer due to its sheer size, very long and bulky. Realistically though, it wasn't built for normal pinpointing duties on land, more at home under water or at the beach.

Goldagettin said:
Hi to All.

I have a Vibra-Probe 580 pinpointer. It is waterproof to 200 feet and was purchased for hunting rings and the like at the beaches and is great at it.

I was just wondering as I'm new to prospecting and havn't found any gold yet :( if anyone has tried one of these on small gold and if so how small will it detect?
It's the type of unit you can bury into muddy water and not be afraid of hurting it, but I have no idea if it will pick up small gold.

Thanks in advance :)
The 580 is a pulse induction pin pointer. Its my go to for the beach, in water and in some cases tot lots.

I did some tests for you and the battery in my probe is old.

These tests are done by continuously moving the probe over the target since its PI.

On a 1 gram nugget about 10mm away.

On a .2 gram nugget about 5mm away.

Very impressed with these results and will be taking the probe in future. The 580 reacts nicely as you look for the target

My Garrett Pin pointer picks up the 1 grammer as long as its nearly touching it but does not detect the .1 grammer.

On targets larger than a 5c piece the Garrett pinpointer may detect these deeper.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah the name of leads one to think you would get it from an adult shop... lol
Wolfau thank you for doing the testing on this unit for me. The results are better than I predicted or dare hope. I am planning on using it to bury to the bottom of crevices full of mud and gravel looking for the good stuff.
Cheers everyone.

Goldagettin said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah the name of leads one to think you would get it from an adult shop... lol
Wolfau thank you for doing the testing on this unit for me. The results are better than I predicted or dare hope. I am planning on using it to bury to the bottom of crevices full of mud and gravel looking for the good stuff.
Cheers everyone.

Your welcome.

Its a brilliant pin pointer and was surprised at the results myself.

Good luck with it.

Does anyone use one of these for prospecting and find it picks up ironstone. Found out the expensive way that my 580 will respond to ironstone. Considering most gold fields are littered with ironstone it makes pinpointing a nugget next to impossible having to pick out all the ironstone bits first. Can any other vibra probe owners confirm this or is mine playing up.

Just seen this.

Get yourself a strong magnet a large one and throw it over the area.

Magnet will pick up the iron leaving target on the ground unless it was iron.

The 580 is an awesome pin pointer and finds the very small nuggets.

nuggetino said:
Does anyone use one of these for prospecting and find it picks up ironstone. Found out the expensive way that my 580 will respond to ironstone. Considering most gold fields are littered with ironstone it makes pinpointing a nugget next to impossible having to pick out all the ironstone bits first. Can any other vibra probe owners confirm this or is mine playing up.

I also have a 580 and yes it will respond to largish pieces of ironstone - I mainly use mine for sniffing around crevices underwater in creek beds as well as locating bits of lead like shotgun pellets in my pan when panning off concentrates from my highbanker.

It is sensitive but on the up side it detects only at the tip - so far I am happy with it.

On one occasion it detected a very small nugget in my pan - when I say small it would have been about 0.1 gram.

So far I have not really used it with my ML 705 as it pinpoints quite well.

cheers

Barry

Thanks for the response guys. I haven't used it since the ironstone dilemma as the area I go prospecting is full of the stuff. I'll have to grab a super magnet for the ironstone Wolfau. A good idea!

Latest posts