Stocks n Shares

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
How far to the Niagara Falls....
How far till I make a mess in the front of my Reg Grundie,s ? You ask
Im thinking somewhere in-between 0.12 & 0.13 would be Nice :money:
But might loss control and unload @ 0.11 :lol: :lol:
Its only a Win on paper at the moment till I Sell .
Things could change by open of Market Monday 10:00am & go down just as Fast as went Up :|
Like someone else said on this Topic " Its a Gamble " So true :Y: But so is everything we do in Life :D
And if You're Confident about what ya doing ( I mean Bloody Confident ) Why not Have a crack if ya can ?
Sometimes You will make Bank :money: :money:
Sometimes You will make :poop: :argh: Well not :100: % :poop: Just GOT TO keep an eye on things & Cut ya loss .
But learn from it .
Biggest thing #1 DONT GET EMOTIONLY ATATCHED TO THE MONEY .
:D Peace :Y:

NVX- proven graphite anode battery tech, lot of good contracts...founded by ex-tesla engineers...
pilbara minerals/core lithium
brainchip- dyor
tesla wont stop
anything innovative.... medicinal cannabis on asx will have its day soon, fkn govt
not financial advice
FMG, carbon capture deal looked ok

dam it said:
:D :bomb: :bomb: now up 0.012 :D :D
Keep going you good thing :money:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Up again this morning :D
ASX did question the price jump in a short period of time , All seems good with the response to the ASX .
Sitting on 0.09 ATM :bomb: :money: :money:
Makin Bank :D

About four or five years back we visited a Santos display somewhere up the Queensland coast. It was an emotional buy, we both bought some and it took until sometime earlier this month for them to reach a saleable price so mine have gone but I did at least make a few bucks.

My best share was given to me by somebody about a year back, perhaps FMG but I got a little bundle of ITM and I had to make a phone call to find out how I came across them. It spiked my interest so I threw a bit of money at it at the time and yesterday was up 138% however they lost 7.75% today but still up 116%.

Mrs M is having a play with HAW at the moment because Andrew Forest just threw a few million at it so that's a good sign.

A bit more local
Disclosure I hold shares.
ASM - Australian Strategic materials. Partnering with South Korean interests to produce mine to product strategic EV materials eg super magnet materials to bypass China’s dominance.
Has signed agreement with Hyundai Engineering.
Also has large deposits of Scandium In their Dubbo rare earths deposit. Watch Scandium in years to come.

I don't do shares, l bought my first investment house in 2000 purchase price $181,500 with a total cash outlay of $1.00
Today that one is worth over $900,000 It cost me a whole dollar - & all I had to do was sit down and watch TV - just saying.

A bit more local
Disclosure I hold shares.
ASM - Australian Strategic materials. Partnering with South Korean interests to produce mine to product strategic EV materials eg super magnet materials to bypass China’s dominance.
Has signed agreement with Hyundai Engineering.
Also has large deposits of Scandium In their Dubbo rare earths deposit. Watch Scandium in years to come.
One has to be cautious with small production metals - one mine coming on-stream can swamp the market. For example world scandium production is around 25 tonnes/year. The price fluctuates from $4000-20000 per kg and is currently $14000/kg. Demand is perhaps 50% higher than production and prices fluctuate fairly widely depending on availability at any time - however the high price is partly related to the high cost of production, dependence on recovery as a by-product from mining of other metals and from old mine tailings etc. and lack of dedicated scandium mines. The total value of all world production is around $350 million (which is very small for any metal). One small dedicated scandium mine coming on stream could produce more than 10 tonnes per year and significantly affect price. NSW has significant scandium at reasonable grades in laterites of the central west. Deposits are abundant worldwide (e.g. Australian reserves alone are 12,140 tonnes. so if used could supply the world for many hundreds of years at present demand). Scandium's crustal abundance is greater than that of lead - it is not rare just dispersed and uneconomic to mine on its own..

There are geological reasons for their not being more mines. Scandium tends not to occur with other important metals, so it is not a major by-product at any significant grade (despite this being its main source). At present prices and demand new dedicated scandium mines are likely to need to be quite small, so not highly attractive for miners and explorers despite some hype. It is used in batteries (SOFC) etc. so it is possible the situation would change, but given world reserves would that have much effect?

To make good money in stock market trading you have to take it on as a job and dedicate a lot of time and energy to it unless you choose to go the slow and more reliable approach with blue chip stocks. Anything fast moving, fast profits and even faster losses, takes good diligence or good luck and sometimes a good dose of both. I used to trade CFDs and futures. I preferred the more stable cycles of the futures and found it a lot easier to manage.

Gold on the other hand or should I say in the hand is a lot more secure and even though it still needs some research is very low risk :)

To make good money in stock market trading you have to take it on as a job and dedicate a lot of time and energy to it unless you choose to go the slow and more reliable approach with blue chip stocks. Anything fast moving, fast profits and even faster losses, takes good diligence or good luck and sometimes a good dose of both. I used to trade CFDs and futures. I preferred the more stable cycles of the futures and found it a lot easier to manage.

Gold on the other hand or should I say in the hand is a lot more secure and even though it still needs some research is very low risk :)
Depends what one means by secure. If you mean a reasonable inflation hedge if things go awrie, perhaps - if the government lets you hold it and sell it privately when that disaster occurs (it has not in the past). If you plot returns on it versus shares or real estate, it gives a much worse return over time (no dividends, lower appreciation). And I find that most people just hold it (as I do to some extent) as a hedge against catastrophe, but getting no returns on it - the price goes up, it looks good to hold, they keep holding (for years without any returns- i.e. because you are waiting for the disaster that does not happen). Rarely a way to get rich unless you are short-term speculating on its price changes - as one does with shares, property, bitcoin.....It is simply part of my overall investment portfolio but not a great growth area. Note only 10 years shown below, Dow Jines blue and gold is red..

1651024662691.png

And to some extent you are speculating as much on currency fluctuation as on the inherent price of gold. We missed out on the 2012 price peak that the US got, but we did not bottom out in 2016 and climbed more steadily since 2014. However given what I expect inflation to do, I am in no hurry to sell.

10y Au USD.jpg
10y Au AUD.jpg

Attachments

• 10y Au USD.jpg
    10y Au USD.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes goldierocks, I do agree but what I meant by that is you are not at the same risk as you are with many shares that just crash and burn overnight. Gold remains solid even though there have been some backwards steps over the years. I remember when it it $800 and some were still buying and then were stuck with their gold for a very long time without any sign of a profit.

We don't keep gold simply because of the security risk in today's society.

Yes goldierocks, I do agree but what I meant by that is you are not at the same risk as you are with many shares that just crash and burn overnight. Gold remains solid even though there have been some backwards steps over the years. I remember when it it $800 and some were still buying and then were stuck with their gold for a very long time without any sign of a profit.

We don't keep gold simply because of the security risk in today's society.
No true, many speculate short term with it. But as to long term I am not as convinced simply because of the way people behave - when you say it remains solid, one has to allow for the lack of any return while you hold it. So if it increases 10% one has to deduct the percentage increase in the CPI over the same period to get the real return - and that assumes that you sell it at that point, as many people do not.

"what I meant by that is you are not at the same risk as you are with many shares that just crash and burn overnight" - yes, but one would hope to even spread speculative shares over 7 or so companies and not have all your eggs in one basket. And keep in mind that the graph above where I showed the return of shares relative to gold is comparing gold with the stock market average rate of return overall not the return on speculative shares. and obviously it includes those that crashed and burned (I didn't do so well with AMP although I got out early). If you simply used derivatives to invest in the ASX200 you would hope to get even better returns than shown on that graph. Or you can simply buy blue chhips that are on it.

When you say security risk, people tend to not be thinking of it seeing them through a chaotic period by it behaving as an asset that decreases less than everything else (my main motivation), or they are waiting for the crisis because they think it will jump in price then (which usually does not occur to the degree thay would like). And in the latter case they hold onto it, price flattens for a few years, and given the lack of associated dividends, their average returns if they then sell no longer looks very good compared with shares or property.

Not anti-gold, I just see it as part of the less speculative part of my investments, like cash investments, and not a great growth area.

I remeber paying 17% on my housing loan. I also remeber working overseas - I lost more than 90% of my cash assets in two different countries because of sudden depreciation (South Africa and Russia). Often not so bad if you continue to live in a place but awful if you have to move to another country (eg back to Australia). Which reminds me, I have a wad of roubles - I suppose they would work as fire starters....However one of those experiences was tempered by having bought a few kg of gold, which I was allowed to take with me and which maintained irs price of course. I guess it depends on one's lifestyle and whether you have been burnt.

Last edited:
Many years ago before good mobile reception I had a high risk contract running and I don't remember what it was. I opened the contract in Norseman WA and proceeded across the Nullarbor to find that I had no chance of checking on my trading. I was in a panic by the time I got to the other side and with poor reception called my broker to close the contract. When I got a chance to look at it I was $11,000 up. One the way home I tried it again and placed an order in Port Augusta with a secure stoploss order in place. When I got to Norseman I'd made another $6000 so it certainly helps when you're cut off and can't tamper with premade plans ;)

Ps: I was single then so no risk in that department :)

Many years ago before good mobile reception I had a high risk contract running and I don't remember what it was. I opened the contract in Norseman WA and proceeded across the Nullarbor to find that I had no chance of checking on my trading. I was in a panic by the time I got to the other side and with poor reception called my broker to close the contract. When I got a chance to look at it I was $11,000 up. One the way home I tried it again and placed an order in Port Augusta with a secure stoploss order in place. When I got to Norseman I'd made another $6000 so it certainly helps when you're cut off and can't tamper with premade plans ;)

Ps: I was single then so no risk in that department :)
I used to trade by coded flying doctor telegram (from places like present Gidgee and Edjudina). I lost a lot because of delays.

One has to be cautious with small production metals - one mine coming on-stream can swamp the market. For example world scandium production is around 25 tonnes/year. The price fluctuates from $4000-20000 per kg and is currently $14000/kg. Demand is perhaps 50% higher than production and prices fluctuate fairly widely depending on availability at any time - however the high price is partly related to the high cost of production, dependence on recovery as a by-product from mining of other metals and from old mine tailings etc. and lack of dedicated scandium mines. The total value of all world production is around $350 million (which is very small for any metal). One small dedicated scandium mine coming on stream could produce more than 10 tonnes per year and significantly affect price. NSW has significant scandium at reasonable grades in laterites of the central west. Deposits are abundant worldwide (e.g. Australian reserves alone are 12,140 tonnes. so if used could supply the world for many hundreds of years at present demand). Scandium's crustal abundance is greater than that of lead - it is not rare just dispersed and uneconomic to mine on its own..

There are geological reasons for their not being more mines. Scandium tends not to occur with other important metals, so it is not a major by-product at any significant grade (despite this being its main source). At present prices and demand new dedicated scandium mines are likely to need to be quite small, so not highly attractive for miners and explorers despite some hype. It is used in batteries (SOFC) etc. so it is possible the situation would change, but given world reserves would that have much effect?
Hi Goldierocks.
Point taken about the small demand for Scandium at $14000 per Kg at present.
I am banking on this being a catch 22 situation not related to its value as an element but with its limited production and high price suppressing usage and its lack of usage seen to suppress production and contributing to the high prices.
Most of the limited worldwide production, if not all, comes as a by product from mines in China, Russia and Ukraine.
Apart from some niche uses in electronics the main benefit for Scandium, is in strengthening and improving the weldability of aluminium. The Russians with a home supply used it successfully for its MIG jets during the cold war. The Americans know its benefits too as they use it in their aluminium baseball bats and it is also used in bicycle frames.
Its potential in the aerospace realm has long been recognised but hindered by lack of supply and high price. What is needed is increased supply and lower costs from a reliable source such as that from projects with elevated levels of Scandium as in mid west NSW.
Once a reliable supply of reasonably priced Scandium is established, its uptake by the aerospace industry is almost guaranteed. Australia's Gilmour Space Technologies, a company involved in developing rocket vehicles, is in the forefront of using aluminium/scandium alloys for its components and even at todays prices has a contract with Rio Tinto for supply of Scandium as a by product from one of its mines .
But it is not just aerospace, because I feel that once the benefits of using stronger weldable aluminium/scandium alloys are realised and prices are normalised, its use will become mainstream not only for baseball bats, bicycle frames but also for airframes, vehicles involved in heavy road and rail haulage and even private EVs under pressures to meet emissions targets.
At $14000 per Kg this cannot and won't happen just now, but the purpose of developing a mine to produce larger quantities of lower cost scandium is to breach the catch 22 situation, lower the price to make its use more widespread and indeed mainstream.
Hoping that there will be a catalyst for this tipping point sooner rather than later.

Hi Goldierocks.
Point taken about the small demand for Scandium at $14000 per Kg at present.
I am banking on this being a catch 22 situation not related to its value as an element but with its limited production and high price suppressing usage and its lack of usage seen to suppress production and contributing to the high prices.
Most of the limited worldwide production, if not all, comes as a by product from mines in China, Russia and Ukraine.
Apart from some niche uses in electronics the main benefit for Scandium, is in strengthening and improving the weldability of aluminium. The Russians with a home supply used it successfully for its MIG jets during the cold war. The Americans know its benefits too as they use it in their aluminium baseball bats and it is also used in bicycle frames.
Its potential in the aerospace realm has long been recognised but hindered by lack of supply and high price. What is needed is increased supply and lower costs from a reliable source such as that from projects with elevated levels of Scandium as in mid west NSW.
Once a reliable supply of reasonably priced Scandium is established, its uptake by the aerospace industry is almost guaranteed. Australia's Gilmour Space Technologies, a company involved in developing rocket vehicles, is in the forefront of using aluminium/scandium alloys for its components and even at todays prices has a contract with Rio Tinto for supply of Scandium as a by product from one of its mines .
But it is not just aerospace, because I feel that once the benefits of using stronger weldable aluminium/scandium alloys are realised and prices are normalised, its use will become mainstream not only for baseball bats, bicycle frames but also for airframes, vehicles involved in heavy road and rail haulage and even private EVs under pressures to meet emissions targets.
At $14000 per Kg this cannot and won't happen just now, but the purpose of developing a mine to produce larger quantities of lower cost scandium is to breach the catch 22 situation, lower the price to make its use more widespread and indeed mainstream.
Hoping that there will be a catalyst for this tipping point sooner rather than later.
Well I am all for it of course. However I am a bit doubtful - I have looked at the NSW projects and even encountered potential resources while exploring there - grades are good. The problem that I see is so little incentive for producing it as the sole product of a mine, a mine that would have to produce a significant percentage of world production on its own to be large enougfh to be attractive - and places like Brazil and India among others would be looking at doing the same. Perhaps the first mine to get going could dominate the market and discourage others. . And to do that it would have to be cheaper - and at its low price in the recent past of $4,000/kg it would be so tiny a mine as not to be remotely interesting to mine. The world produces far more than 100x as many kg gold each year at present as it does scandium - even Australia produces 15x as many kg gold per year as total world production of scandium (despite scandium being one of the most common elements in the Earth;s crust - 25th most common from memory). Scandium is often found in the same minerals in which the other rare earth metals exist, so increase in rare metal mine production would make more available (so China has a lot). However being the lightest, I would imagine that it is more concentrated in the light (ceric) rare earth elements than the heavy (yttric) rare earth elementns -- the lighter being very abundant but in far less demand, perhaps not providing a good potential supply. And immense amounts of scandium still remain in tailings of iron ore and uranium and tungsten mines, where the ore material is already mined and communited, and it is highly concentrated in bauxite (which is really a lateritic product much like the more iron-rich lateritic scandium ores of NSW). Some of these other sources could simultaneously produce other useful elements (eg gallium from bauxite - I would not have thought it concentrated in the NSW scandium laterites but have not checked).

So my suspicion is that demand will increase and recovery from bauxite waste (eg red mud) and REE and Ti ore waste (Canada) sources will increase, and with increasing reliability of supply the price will go down in relative terms. Hence I am a bit wary of scandium-only mines. But who knows? I looked at lithium many decades ago and there was no obvious major future then (mind you, we know have nearly 100 million tonnes of lithium metal in resources)...also germanium, gallium, indium. Problem was mostly limited market size, few primary minerals of these elements, and competition from by-product sources..

Latest posts