Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question and of course most prospectors won't tell you seeing they put in the hard yards in researching and going out exploring, test patching, gridding, spending hours and hours gaining knowledge and understanding of gold materials/land associated with it, and mastering their detectors, just to give all that info away to a question.
When it comes to gold, and if you're serious about finding, then research, learning and looking whilst mastering your detector involves hours and hours, is the way to find how where to find gold and how to do it. There are many helpful tips on this forum, however as with any hobby, your success depends on your own efforts. Cheers. :D

Goldenau said:
Good question and of course most prospectors won't tell you seeing they put in the hard yards in researching and going out exploring, test patching, gridding, spending hours and hours gaining knowledge and understanding of gold materials/land associated with it, and mastering their detectors, just to give all that info away to a question.
When it comes to gold, and if you're serious about finding, then research, learning and looking whilst mastering your detector involves hours and hours, is the way to find how where to find gold and how to do it. There are many helpful tips on this forum, however as with any hobby, your success depends on your own efforts. Cheers. :D

Give the man a beer :beer:

It's understandable to think of asking a forum like this for tips... in nearly ANY OTHER PASTIME it's considered fine to asks for tips. It is definitely a quirk of gold prospecting the level of caginess, but there's plenty of history there and, after all, gold is literally money, so no wonder people don't just want to give away the fruits of their labour.

I'd also give people a pass on the grounds of frustration - many of us don't have the time to systematically test an area because we have work/family commitments, and so, just like going fishing, it's nice to be put on a spot by a friendly fellow fisherman.

I mean, crikey, I am literally an exploration geologist who works in gold exploration and I STILL haven't found a single piece of gold in all my prospecting (which is not a huge amount, granted). I literally have planned exploration drill holes which have delineated hundreds of thousands of ounces of gold, and yet I cannot for the life of me walk over a piece of gold with a detector! Oh the shame!

But, in the end, as Goldenau puts it, a lot of effort goes into the research, the work in the bush, the persistence it takes to find a patch with gold in it. It's unreasonable to expect anyone to give all that away for free.

Redfin said:
I don't have a problem with city grits, just replying to a stupid post in a like manner. :playful:

and that my friend is exactly why I did the same.

.. they come on here expecting successful prospectors to give away their spots. What sort of idiot's do they think we are. So I gave the person a totally useless paragraph or two that made absolutely no sense and was a complete waste of time reading.

Hopefully the next person that considers a similar question reads this thread and gets the hint... get off ya fat backside, do some homework and take a walk - with a detector of course and don't come back till they find gold.

Then come back here and tell us ALL where they went, you recon they would?

Here ya go OP, an old scraped area that nature has now provided the riffles to catch all those shiny bits. Age of trees pretty much tells you how long ago it was scraped. :D Best advice I could give is simply get your coil on the ground, but in saying that in Victoria getting access to good ground is getting harder due largely to the DH factor that's been before you :Y: Good luck and enjoy the adventure,

1642577723_old_scraped_area.jpg

Seeking some personal opinions here about the worst areas in Victoria for metal detecting gold. There are some areas which have copped a flogging over the years and now you no longer find colour. Have you experienced this situation?

Seeking some personal opinions here about the worst areas in Victoria for metal detecting gold. There are some areas which have copped a flogging over the years and now you no longer find colour. Have you experienced this situation?
Gold is where you find it=there are always missed bits and even big nuggets that other people have missed-get to know you detector first-have test pieces and real gol test bits-compare the sound and then go for it==still a lot of digging.

We stopped here to see the monument and have a bite of lunch.

Welcome Stranger Monument.jpg

And then spent the afternoon pulling small nuggets out all the way up the slope. If you want to find gold then go to wherever gold has been found before. Gold areas throughout Australia have been flogged by metal detectors for the last forty years but detectors are evolving and gold is still coming out of the ground. It's no good asking somebody where they got their gold because they took it so it's not there anymore ;)

We stopped here to see the monument and have a bite of lunch.

View attachment 698

And then spent the afternoon pulling small nuggets out all the way up the slope. If you want to find gold then go to wherever gold has been found before. Gold areas throughout Australia have been flogged by metal detectors for the last forty years but detectors are evolving and gold is still coming out of the ground. It's no good asking somebody where they got their gold because they took it so it's not there anymore ;)
What detector where you using?

I've read that Whroo has been smashed over the yrs.
From my experience stick a pin in any gold producing area & its been smashed! Still it's very rare I go home empty handed 9oz from "smashed" area's last year.
You just need to go slower (try tying your shoelaces together that should get you used to the speed you need to go) and look harder. The type of detector you use can make a little bit of difference, so if you don't run the best go & buy the best! You only need 4oz extra to cover the cost, it shouldn't take too long as long as you get up early, get home late, swing all day & believe in yourself!
There's GOLD in them there hills!
I've read that Whroo has been smashed over the yrs.
From

We were using an SDC2300 and a GPX4500 from memory. If you are serious about finding gold then you need the best gold detector your money can buy.
Yes indeed, have seen many times people frustrated in that they have found nothing to show for several days of looking. Is hard to politely tll them that what they are using they may as well be walking thru the paddocks with a broom stick in their hands :rolleyes:😆

Spot on, a bit like the blokes with a bootfull of coils, enhancers, headphones etc.
If you can't find any with a stock 2300 or 4500 with an 11 commander they won't do you much good.

Gold is where you find it=there are always missed bits and even big nuggets that other people have missed-get to know you detector first-have test pieces and real gol test bits-compare the sound and then go for it==still a lot of digging.
Thanks Jaros for the heads-up.

Seen so many with the glint of gold in their eyes turn up with big money detectors and big coils looking for a nugget like the one they saw on the news last week.
Most long term prospectors have a history of learning often starting out panning and long periods learning how to winkle out gold with a detector.
The early detectorists with the frequency of easy nugget finds had an advantage in learning where the best gold places were to be found.
Someone starting out today does not have that advantage and must be prepared to be more patient and learn the skills. The best way is by finding gold even if it is small. I would recommend a 2300 or a 5000 with small coils or a 6000 if more financial. Patience, technique and knowledge are the other requirements and can all be learned or researched, plus it doesn't hurt to shout a potential mentor a few beers.

Latest posts