You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Pat Hogen
05 February 2019 02:00 pm

A Hall will cut a near perfect stone, it is up to the cutter and the cutter's equipment and polish regime. As for cutting perfect stones, even the competition cutters in the inter-country challenges only manage high ninety cutting.
An important aspect of precision is the transfer aligning tool and the process of aligning. This process and the precision by which it is done will determine the need to use the cheater, or not.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Dihusky
05 February 2019 05:48 pm

I'm real happy with my Hall 2000, rugged heavy commercial machine, the only tragedy is Unamit who are now supposed to be the manufacturer of Hall machines don't appear to support them. I've been waiting to have an email answered for 6 months, have heard that to buy new, pay your money and wait...and wait....and wait, think there was someone on this forum who gave up and got something else.

There are a couple of folks around who can help service them, Horst Ricker in Rubyvale and I think Clarie Trevena on the Gold Coast might help out, they're pretty straight forward to look after anyway.

Have you found one Firepanther?

Firepanther
06 February 2019 12:01 pm

Not yet. So busy with fires here in tassie atm. Working 5 day 12hr shifts then a rest day and back into it.
Thanks for all the advice so far guys big_smile

Lefty
06 February 2019 01:25 pm

I've been very happy with my VJ, they are excellent machines. However, they are quite pricey.

Both Hall and Gemmasta are supposed to be very good as well. I cut my first ever stone one one or the other, can't remember which.

Unfortunately, good faceting machines of any kind are rarely cheap.

igat614
21 November 2021 02:11 pm

Hello

I start again faceting...
would yo so kind suggest good brand for 6/8 inch of diamond cutting wheel ?

thanks

Stewe

Dihusky
27 November 2021 11:16 am

Going to depend on your budget. I've used Gemmasta 3 & 4, both terrific machines and still being manufactured in Ballina, Imahashi is also great but very different as are their copy, Sterling. I had a Thompson VJ for a while, Thompson was the original manufacturer, great machine but very different ergonomics from a mast machine, so can present love/hate feelings, definitely one you need to try before you buy. I found mine sensitive to lap weight differences, moving from a copper topped prepolish to something like Tin or Typemetal for finishing caused a fractional droop which threw out the facet alignment, that said it was a 20 yr old machine.

The machine I use now is a Hall 2000 extended, inlove old but commercial grade and incredibly accurate, also rare and worth big money as those that know these machines will hunt them down. All the gold in China wouldn't but this machine off me ... then thinking about it.........

Badge
28 December 2021 06:35 pm

Bump.
I've been thinking about getting a faceting machine and I'm not keen on paying the big bucks for the good ones.
But I had a look at the cheap machines on Ebay.
"Gem Faceting Machine Rock Polisher 1800RPM Gem Cutting Machine Jewelry Polisher". $640 delivered.
Does anyone know if these cheapys actually have the capability to produce decent gems?
Being as cheap as they are (although there are some cheaper) the usual verdict would be they're either Chinese or just crap.
Any input would be appreciated.
Badge

LoneWolf
28 December 2021 10:38 pm

You get what you pay for when it comes to Lapidary... Other words, save for something decent...

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

3 users like this post: RM Outback, Mackka, Jaros

Mackka
29 December 2021 08:21 am

I think that saying applies to most things these days LW.
Mackka

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

Badge
29 December 2021 09:54 am

Yes I was expecting the obvious to be true.
Looks like I'll have to try and talk Mrs Badge into parting with some dollars. argh
Wish me luck, it could get nasty.
Cheers and thanks
Badge

LoneWolf
29 December 2021 03:36 pm

Do you have a local Lapidary club near you?

Quite often they sell their older Machines to members for a fair price every now and then....

Or someone may have or Know of one for sale...

Good luck with the Minister of Finance.. smile

LW...

Last edited by LoneWolf (29 December 2021 03:37 pm)

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

Dihusky
29 December 2021 06:17 pm

I have known of some people buying the eBay Chinese machines and one commonality is they all regretted it. The machines are flimsy, inaccurate and will destroy the dream of faceting a good gem.

As LW said, find a local Lapidary club or get in touch with your local Australian Facetors Guild member, https://facetorsguild.com.au/ and they should know of people in your area who might be able to assist your learning.

Keep an eye of Gumtree or FB Marketplace as machines do come up for sale, but before you shell out your hard earned cash, finding a club and discovering faceting first hand is probably a cheaper route to start. No point in buying if you find you don't enjoy it.

Badge
29 December 2021 07:52 pm

Thanks for the input guys. And yeah the Minister of Finance as Lone Wolf described her can be Uncle Scrooge like so I'll take my time and look around for a second hand one and contact some Lapidary Clubs for assistance.
Cheers.
Badge.

Badge
11 January 2022 12:45 pm

Well I actually found an old Gemmasta GFE3 for sale on Gumtree.
The seller was in Brisbane and was getting numerous calls from people in the gemfields who wanted it but he didn't want to fuss with the postage etc. So I rang my son who picked it up for me and is now insitu at Badge's house. Yeah OK temporary on the kitchen table until the better half decides it needs to be moved.
All up with dop sticks, transfer jig, and a heap of rocks for $850. The guy's father had passed away so he was cleaning out his stuff ASAP.
The 3 discs aren't in great order by the feel of them and I have a few on order, and there are two stones already started on dop sticks so the old discs will do for pre polish I guess.
It's an old machine but it'll be good to learn with. Finding parts for it might be hard though. It doesn't have a water supply so there's one job to do. I've looked around and the only part I found was a drive belt (which I jumped on). Spares part.
I'll try to put some pics on hoping someone with recognise the type of machine, but you'll be giving away your age if you do.
Cheers
Badge

Mackka
11 January 2022 12:54 pm

Sounds like a good deal from sad circumstances. Enjoy and ilook forward to seeing your creations.
Mackka

1 user likes this post: Badge

Badge
11 January 2022 01:08 pm

Thanks Mackka.

This is one of the pics from Gumtree. I took a few pics after cleaning it up and getting rid of the rubber band etc and it seems to work very well, just a spring missing where the rubber band is. My pics are too big for the forum and I don't know how to reduce them.
Time will tell.
Cheers Badge.

1641866731_s-l800.jpg

1641866902_s-l800_2.jpg

5 users like this post: Pro-oz, LoneWolf, Dihusky, Mackka, RM Outback

Pro-oz
11 January 2022 01:19 pm

Good start, well done.

Minelab Explorer SE. Minelab GPZ 7000 Equinox 800

LoneWolf
11 January 2022 02:51 pm

Perfect timing ... Well Done... clap

LW...

Dihusky
11 January 2022 04:43 pm

You've done well Badge, this I believe is the earlier GFE3, the later one had the vertical adjustment on the head not the base of the mast. Gemcuts in Ballina are the Gemmasta manufacturers now and may be able to help you with spares.

It's worth checking the bearings on the lap spindle, they wear and get grit inside over time, they're sealed bearing and readily available from any bearing supplier, once these are done, the machine should purr and you'll have a lot of fun learning our art.

4 users like this post: Mackka, LoneWolf, RM Outback, Badge

Badge
11 January 2022 06:54 pm

Dihusky wrote:

You've done well Badge, this I believe is the earlier GFE3, the later one had the vertical adjustment on the head not the base of the mast. Gemcuts in Ballina are the Gemmasta manufacturers now and may be able to help you with spares.

It's worth checking the bearings on the lap spindle, they wear and get grit inside over time, they're sealed bearing and readily available from any bearing supplier, once these are done, the machine should purr and you'll have a lot of fun learning our art.

Thanks for the info and advice.
Yes this is certainly the earlier version, in fact I can't even find any information on them on the internet.
I'll contact Gemcuts at Ballina and try to track down a PDF of the manual. I just purchased a little over $130 of Gemcuts website too, they have some cool gear.
I spent about 5 hours today testing the machine out with a makeshift water supply and did get some (to my untrained eye) half decent facets on gemstone that was full of inclusions. I've now got the taste so in for the long haul.
Cheers,
Badge.

3 users like this post: RM Outback, Dihusky, Mackka

Dihusky
12 January 2022 10:58 am

Best material to play with is stuff like quartz jellybeans, cheap and readily available, but really good to develop your polishing skills, another fun material is glass marbles, they can produce some amazing results.

The most important item to buy is a quality 10x magnifier, most professional and serious facetors use this one: https://www.pilbarageology.com.au/produ … Loupe.html Not cheap but exceptional optics and when one compares to another type of 10x the difference is staggering yikes and you quickly realise how poor the cheapies are. awful

2 users like this post: LoneWolf, Mackka

Badge
14 January 2022 09:11 pm

I do have a 10x magnifier Dihusky. Not as good as that one but may upgrade later.
I'm waiting on a head loupe/magnifier from Gemcuts. I think that will make life easier.
Still looking for a PDF of the manual for the Gemmasta. I think the lap needs calibrating and I'm not game to pull things apart without some type of schematics so I can get it all back together again.
Cheers.
Badge.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Dihusky
15 January 2022 01:18 pm

Badge wrote:

I do have a 10x magnifier Dihusky. Not as good as that one but may upgrade later.
I'm waiting on a head loupe/magnifier from Gemcuts. I think that will make life easier.
Still looking for a PDF of the manual for the Gemmasta. I think the lap needs calibrating and I'm not game to pull things apart without some type of schematics so I can get it all back together again.
Cheers.
Badge.

If you're in south east QLD, I may be able to help as I service machines. If that's feasible PM me.

Badge
Yesterday 03:49 pm

Thanks for the offer. I live in the North Burnett region so a few hours away but I do get down that way from time to time. I'll send you a PM next time around.
Thanks again.
Badge.