You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Nightjar
06 December 2021 12:56 pm

This is not directly prospecting, but have set up two Arlo Ultra2 spotlight cameras to keep an eye on our home while away in 2022.
Problem;
Have the cameras up and running, the batteries are supposed to last up to 6 months before a recharge, they lasted three days?
Have spent 2 hrs on the phone to the Arno Australia help line (needed help to understand their Asian voices.)
The settings they advised, as mentioned chewed up the batteries.
I have one camera covering the front of the house and one for the back.
Does any of the tech gurus on here have or know anyone who has info on how to set them up for basic home use?
www.arlo.com/support

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

2 users like this post: Mackka, Jaros

davsgold
06 December 2021 02:23 pm

yep we have been there and done that, same as what you have found the batteries go flat in no time.

We ended up ditching those and got these.

They still have batteries but also a small solar panel and they have never gone flat even in cloudy weather, and have had then for a couple of years now. front and back of house.

Can control from mobile phone and view video footage while away camping etc, they work very well.

https://www.secureyourworld.com.au/a/sm … aHEALw_wcB

Last edited by davsgold (06 December 2021 02:24 pm)

Gear used GPZ 7000 and x-coils

2 users like this post: mbasko, Danny13

Pro-oz
06 December 2021 03:10 pm

Hi Nightjar, I am no tech guru, but have 'eufy security' a camera covering front of house and carport, two cameras probably a similar set up to Arlo.
Eufy say six months on the battery, and I believe it, on the settings I'm running, don't know when the batteries were charged last and are half charged now, will charge soon before we go away.

Eufy have a home mode and an away mode, I use the away mode as my night mode switching to this when going to bed. Then switching back to home mode in the morning so in home mode there are no alarms set (disarmed) when at home and moving about (not using battery up)

In away mode I have Record video, Push Notification and Home Base Alarm set, so when away we should get the same battery life with no one moving about the house and using up battery.

Hope this all makes sense and helps you a bit.

Cheers Pro-oz

Minelab Explorer SE. Minelab GPZ 7000 Equinox 800

3 users like this post: PeterInSa, mbasko, Simmo

PeterInSa
06 December 2021 04:52 pm

Thanks Pro-Oz re (Eufy say six months on the battery,)

They say the removable one ( in their Specs)is 12 months and the Fixed 6 months I will need the fixed for outside front, removable inside.

Do you have the fixed or removeable?

Peter

Pro-oz
06 December 2021 06:19 pm

PeterInSa wrote:

Thanks Pro-Oz re (Eufy say six months on the battery,)

They say the removable one ( in their Specs)is 12 months and the Fixed 6 months I will need the fixed for outside front, removable inside.

Do you have the fixed or removeable?

Peter

Don't quit follow. the batteries are fixed inside the 2 x cameras out side, the base station inside is powered and also connected to the modem.

I have this one. EUFYCAM 2C
WIRE-FREE HD SECURITY CAMERA SET
The one that davesgold put up looks pretty good at a quick glance.
Cheers

mbasko
06 December 2021 06:35 pm

Maybe look at getting a couple of these NJ?
https://www.arlo.com/en-au/accessories/ … 0000S.html

I've got 2 x Reolink Argus2 & 2 x Argus3 (spotlight version) running on solar panels & like Dave says they are great thumbsup. Always 100% even with all the rain we've had lately & no battery issues or need for recharging over a few years now.

The Arlo camera's look & sound pretty similar in specs etc. so should be ok especially on the solar panels. Set & forget.
If they still are draining the battery I'd think they're DOA batteries?

With settings I have an "At home" mode that silently records on all movement activation (SD card internal & cloud storage), night time spotlight activates on the Argus3's & alert to mobile for front door only.
My "Away from home" mode is the same but mobile alerts are turned on for all cameras & alarms set for front + back doors.

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

2 users like this post: Simmo, Nightjar

Simmo
06 December 2021 10:31 pm

We have the latest version Eufy set of 4 and it is an awesome set up.
I am going to add a 2k camera in a strategic position to capture close up detail if required.
The 1080p is good, but not 'that' good.

We have ours set to Geofence, so it knows when we are home, so records human activity, but doesn't push.
At night, it records all activity but doesn't push.

Moving away from home, the geofence works that out and turns on push notifications with the same settings.
The AI will try to work out humans and tag them. It's not fool proof, but it's a darn good system!

I'm going to get a few panels for them because after maybe 2 weeks of being installed and 589+ notifications, the batteries are down to around 90%.

1638790231_screenshot_20211206-212753_eufysecurity42911.jpg

1 user likes this post: Nightjar

silver
06 December 2021 11:52 pm

( if you get AAs that will run your camera for 200 photos or more you will get a really good run out of them, and they won't drop out till they're dead).
We used to use these from Big W, but they stopped stocking them(probly toooo good).
1638794780_1422410017_sam_8769.jpg
So now we get a different brand from bunnings... just under $10 for 30 batteries(same type of quality)
Some batteries used to only give us three photos in the camera before they would die, so I searched for the best cheapest ones I could find.(VARTA).shhhh.... don't tell anyone, or there'll be none left. tongue

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

Nightjar
07 December 2021 08:28 am

After hour or so with Arlo Australia (Asia somewhere) the cameras now do not record at all?
All I now get is; "Very sorry, we help we help Mr Peter"
Have found an on line comprehensive manual will work through that and see if I can resurrect reponse.
At least the batteries are sitting 95%.?

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

davsgold
07 December 2021 10:17 am

hey Peter, find out if you can plug in a small solar panel to the security cameras you have, you can buy the small panels as an optional extra but make sure the fit your model

https://www.devicedeal.com.au/arlo-ultr … 1AQAvD_BwE

Nightjar
07 December 2021 12:28 pm

Thanks Dave,
This is a better deal $89, Arlo sell them for $119.
Batteries aren't the problem at the moment, can activate cameras live but they don't respond to motion and record to library?
Very frustrating and difficult to set up.
Still haven't read the full 79 page manual.
Also Arlo Australia want me to call them back. (Will do when I have a couple of hours to spare) wink

Last edited by Nightjar (07 December 2021 12:29 pm)

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: davsgold

Pro-oz
07 December 2021 12:30 pm

Nightjar wrote:

After hour or so with Arlo Australia (Asia somewhere) the cameras now do not record at all?
All I now get is; "Very sorry, we help we help Mr Peter"
Have found an on line comprehensive manual will work through that and see if I can resurrect reponse.
At least the batteries are sitting 95%.?

How to fill in your day. Frustrating! hope you get it sorted.

Nightjar
07 December 2021 04:57 pm

Had another play this morning.
Went shopping and pulled back into garage. Walked down the drive to check letter box.
Went inside and checked library.
Didn't record me driving out or back into garage but it did record me walking to letterbox?
Talk about frustrating.
Will keep plugging away, not going to give up.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Jaros
07 December 2021 05:21 pm

Maybe infrared heat device not working???

F1A4M2, GPX4500, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Nightjar
07 January 2022 11:02 am

Flicking through photos from yesteryear and found the makings of our bush camp generator.
Bought a Yamaha 3kva for $50.00. It had run out of oil and suffered severe damage.
After a search found a crankshaft and big end bearing, new rings and a few other requirements.
The alternator was to be bolted directly to end of crankshaft.
The taper was 10mm to long and the thread in shaft was 10mm and required 12mm.
Machined taper and tapped required thread.
Reassembled and has run trouble free at our camp for past 15 years.
This year it will have to come home for another overhaul, the timing appears to have slipped and "she's smoking" very badly.

Crankshaft destroyed.
1641513665_yanmar3kva.jpg

Finished project.
1641513665_yanmar3kva2.jpg

1641513665_yanmar3kva3.jpg

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

8 users like this post: Mackka, jethro, Jaros, Manpa, 20xwater, RM Outback, Dihusky, wiley coyote

Dihusky
07 January 2022 03:33 pm

In years gone by, a crank like that could be re-ground and there were people who'd make new white-metal bearings, sadly many of those skills are gone. That said, 15 yrs is not bad going for a $50 unit. smile

Nightjar
07 January 2022 04:08 pm

Dihusky wrote:

In years gone by, a crank like that could be re-ground and there were people who'd make new white-metal bearings, sadly many of those skills are gone. That said, 15 yrs is not bad going for a $50 unit. smile

Yes Dihusky,
During my fitting & turning days ground a few crank shafts.
The white metal bearings we forged and then machined were mainly for crayfishing boat prop shafts.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

Nightjar
07 January 2022 04:15 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Talk about frustrating.
Will keep plugging away, not going to give up.

Hadn't posted an update on the Arlo cameras before changing subjects. lol
After many frustrating hours they are working perfectly. Also have two solar panels winging their way here, that will alleviate removing cameras for a recharge.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

2 users like this post: Mackka, mbasko

David-Karratha
09 January 2022 04:11 am

Nightjar wrote:
Dihusky wrote:

Yes Dihusky,
During my fitting & turning days ground a few crank shafts.
The white metal bearings we forged and then machined were mainly for crayfishing boat prop shafts.

My (old school railway) apprenticeship, had an inordinate amount of “scraping”. We scraped white metal bearings, to suit axles & crankshafts. We scraped air brake components to make air-tight slide valves. We scraped our “surface plates” to be perfectly flat, so we could use them as masters for scraping other stuff. We even scraped cross-hatching patterns onto the sides and faces of machinist vices etc that we made, simply as decorative finishes.

As a fitter & machinist, if something broke, you were expected to fix it. Whatever needed replacing, you made new from scratch. Crankshafts would be re-ground if possible. If too damaged, we’d give them a skim to remove the worst damage, respray them with new metal (metal-spraying seems to have gone the way of scraping) and then we’d regrind them.

Not being able to rebuild something, was a real embarrassment.

This is where I segue into another long-winded, grandpa Simpson story…

1 user likes this post: Sandta

BigL
09 January 2022 09:01 am

davsgold wrote:

yep we have been there and done that, same as what you have found the batteries go flat in no time.

They still have batteries but also a small solar panel and they have never gone flat even in cloudy weather, and have had then for a couple of years now. front and back of house.

Can control from mobile phone and view video footage while away camping etc, they work very well.

these Argus seem pretty good, think I'll grab a few. Currently using hunting infrared cameras which do the trick but they don't have the remote visual ability.

Just one question, whats the cost for the sim card per month for say 2 or 3 cameras?

davsgold
09 January 2022 10:19 am

BigL wrote:
davsgold wrote:

these Argus seem pretty good, think I'll grab a few. Currently using hunting infrared cameras which do the trick but they don't have the remote visual ability.

Just one question, whats the cost for the sim card per month for say 2 or 3 cameras?

Ours don't run from a sim card, there WiFi from the NBN modem which is on an unlimited data, it runs the cameras the laptops and netflix and Kayosport etc, all run on the same NBN modem.

The cameras do have a SD card in each to record stuff onto so you can scroll back through and have a look at whatever you want.

cheers dave

BigL
09 January 2022 10:53 pm

ok.. sounds like not to bad a system, would work for me.

Will look into them more, thanks

BryceW
14 January 2022 02:49 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but just spotted this thread and its an area I'm a bit of an expert in.

NightJar wrote:

the batteries are supposed to last up to 6 months before a recharge, they lasted three days

It depends on how often an "event" happens. When something comes past, they "wake up", try and figure out what it is, and possibly send an alert. In areas where there is lots of action, like people coming past or cars going past. They have to do this much more. From what I recall, Arlo says something like 12 events is an average they base their battery life off. If your cameras can see a road they might be seeing hundreds of events, draining the battery very fast.
Alternatively, could just be a faulty battery from the factory.

Simmo wrote:

I am going to add a 2k camera in a strategic position to capture close up detail if required.
The 1080p is good, but not 'that' good.

In cameras, there is something known as the DORI distance. Detection, Observe, Recognise, Identify. What that means are the distances you can do each.
In your picture, you can easily Observe that people and cars are there, MAYBE even recognise who the person is IF you already know them, based on their haircut, clothes etc.
But at this distance, you cant Identify someone if you dont know them. Like, if some random approached to break in, you wont have enough detail to describe them.
A 2K camera will help, but usually its about the field of view. Ring/Arlo/Eufy have a field of view of about 114 degrees (2.8mm lens). This means their identify distance is about 9 metres.
Which leaves you two options, move one of those battery cameras within 9 metres, and ideally a bit lower (9ft is optimal) since they can be defeated with a baseball cap if they are too high.
OR, go a proper wired system (Dahua/Hikvision etc) with a tighter field of view. So 6mm lens or so which is about 40 degrees. Then you'll be able to identify faces at that distance.

Nightjar wrote:

Didn't record me driving out or back into garage but it did record me walking to letterbox?

These wireless/battery cameras use PIR sensors (like those old 80's security system motion detectors), and while the camera can SEE off into the distance, their PIR detection range is about 10 metres, and it angles down from the camera at about 30 degrees. So if its mounted to high it wont detect well, OR angled too much down its detection range will be shortened.
Lastly, they detect better when the object is going side to side, rather than straight at the camera. Just how the technology works, so if you can, mount it where someone would be moving left/right in its field of view.

5 users like this post: Simmo, Sandta, Nightjar, Mackka, Nanjim

Jaros
14 January 2022 02:58 pm

Welcome Bryce. smile

F1A4M2, GPX4500, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Nightjar
14 January 2022 06:19 pm

Thanks for the info Bryce.
The Arlo Ultra2 we have has a range of 120° to 180°.
After hours of fiddling and with help from Arlo the cameras are now set up perfectly.
Have the front camera set for vehicle and person movement and the rear for persons only. (No vehicle access.)
Once the solar panels arrive there will no longer be a need to remove cameras for battery charge.
The captures are saved in a library and are very clear when replayed.
Was 50kms away from home yesterday and was able to access the library on my phone and check whether a parcel we were waiting on was delivered.
Vehicle, number plate and driver placing parcel in nominated hide away, very clear replay.

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

3 users like this post: RM Outback, Simmo, silver