Coin Hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright then..... ...... ;)
I know you want to see it...... :8
And i am proud to show it....... :p :zzz: :zzz:
1641881837_img20220111085202_medium.jpg

I would say it's because only 503,000 of the coloured poppy were minted. But it's not that rare in high grades and can be purchased for about $350 for a MS66 coin. There are 938 coins graded at this level and 280 even finer. With MS68 having 14 coins graded at this the highest level.
Nice find. :Y:

I always thought there was s poppy under the paint lol
1641913436_images.jpeg.jpg

But it's just the words.(always I see something new)
You can find them without paint too apparently
1641913532_images.jpeg-1.jpg

The coin without paint has had the enamel poppy removed through wear, The variety without the coloured poppy were the circulation mintage some 5.8 million, there is a "C" mint marked coin that had a mintage of 41,000 these are a bit rarer. If I remember the coloured coins in 2012 were to be sold through the RSL and proceeds to go to the poppy fund. I have 10 of these somewhere they were sold on a card. I believe that the coins still on the card in the holders are worth a lot more.

I have one on the card from the local RSL(maybe three all up of the red poppy), can't recall finding any in the wild though. Bet there was a few in the three tins of coins that my mum had(sister put them all through the bank machine for mum one day......never even asked me :eek: )... Mum gave me the rest after that though :p )

From the photos , what would you grade this coin to be deepblue?
I reckon my noodling luck is up.

Because the red Poppy is worn the coin wouldn't grade well low EF definitely a coin that you would use as a filler until a better coin came along.
I have a look through the coins that I have and see what I have, been trying to down size the collection for a long time. Stopped collecting Australian coins a couple of years ago had to many and no room for storage.
What sort of coins are you interested in? I have a full set of early one dollar coins with all mint marks from 1984 to 2000 some 1800 coins all in BUNC some where.

Good article but didn't mention the that coins are often presented at the Belin World Money Coin show and are sometimes marked as such.
A good reason why I stopped collecting them was the sheer number of coins that the mint was producing each year. If you were to send one of each to be graded the costs become quite prohibitive.
Keep on collecting if you can but don't start collecting gold sovereigns that will make you poor very quickly. :(

A new addition to the Penny collection
1272 - 1279 Edward the First minted in London. pure silver for it's time. Beautiful coin for almost 1000 years old just a common circulated coin. About the same size of a 5 cent piece. :perfect:
1642889488_s-l1600_1.jpg

1642889489_s-l1600.jpg

I've been travelling light on lately mate, just incase my footprint walks covid through the door. I do however have a 1&2c hunt on the horizon, as they will have a very low to nil traffic footprint nowadays(so I'm confident there during even the peak wave.
Maybe I'll end up with a few for the album out of it all. Anything green goes into a separate bag, and hopefully there will be some worthy of showing off with a bit of lustre. :D